Any retired expats in Taiwan?

It means your status is legal in CANADA you are a Resident and you pay your taxes. Now it's on the Taiwan side that I'm confused how they could give you a permanent residency here when you are an legal official resident of Canada??? This is beyond my comprehension OR you didn't say all the truth when you applied.

Now it's clear that you are a Canadian resident it's on the Taiwan side that I'm confused when you applied for your APRC  here they must have ask you about your residency status in Canada(183 days), so how they could have give you a permanent residency here when you are officially a resident of Canada this is beyond my comprehension OR you haven't told the truth in your application?

Yes, I'm here more than 6 months a year so I got my APRC after 5 years, they didn't ask and I guess they don't really care whether I still have residency in Canada.

So you also pay taxes here right? Anyway that's doesn't revolve my problem about my initial. question , the cheapest way to change a Canadian $,check here. There must be some people in my situation here and the CTOT is totally useless in this regard.

I have no reportable income, therefore, it does not matter.

I see, so you're living on your saving  and you don't fill a tax form every year here in Taiwan like you do in Canada. So that's strange I thought that when you are a resident here you have to fill a tax form even if you don't have any earning here. Anyway like I said it doesn't resolve my banking or checking problem.

Here is one cheaper way to use your Canadian check in Taiwan.  It might be a bit convoluted but it works.

1.  Open a PayPal account (www.paypal.com) online.
2.  Request a PayPal debit MasterCard.
2.  Have your check automatically deposited into a Canadian bank each month.
3.  Each month transfer the funds from your Canadian bank into your PayPal account.

Now you are able to use the debit card for purchases or to withdraw cash from ATMs in Taiwan.  I use China Trust ATMs.  The cash is withdrawn from my balance on my PauPal account.

There is one gotcha, You will need to pay a ATM fee for each withdrawal.  I believe it's about $1.00 USD.

What kind of business do you run? You list a lot of semi true generalizations that would be suitable on an official tourist brochure...