Homesick in Taiwan

Hi,

I'm Katrina. I have recently moved here from Canada, Alberta and am unbearably homesick. I came here to teach english - that of which I have my doubts in an ability to do so. And I'm not clicking with anyone at all!

Can anyone help me?

Katrina

Awww love...I am so sorry to hear that.  I know it can be hard.  Here I am 9 months later and I have my rough days.  I sent you a message, so make sure you get in touch!

Good vibes your way!

Monique

Hello Katrina and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that you will get a lot of nice contacts here.

Regards,
Harmonie.

Hi Katrina!

Welcome to Expat.com :)
Maybe you could contact other members via the Canadian expatriates in Taiwan network.

It should help you feel better!

Regards
Armand

Thanks Monique, Armand and Harmonie. I appreciate your replies!

Oh no... I'm coming over on July 5th for a 3yr assignment and that's my biggest fear. I was actually thinking about picking up a teaching assignment in the evenings as a way to socialize/network. How long have you been there? Hang in there.

I've only been here for one week. What are you coming over for?

I'm trying my best so far! :) It's a matter of keeping busy... which can be difficult when you don't speak mandarin.

Get yourself busy is the key. Perhaps you can plan on doing some sightseeing on the weekends and go around town to explore the night market and enjoy local food and snacks to get the monkey off your back.

Welcome Katrina,

Sorry it's going so rough!  Give it a chance first though.  You'll never get used to the heat fyi but, like the locals, take in a lot of watermelon and stay in the air con during hell's spells...

As far as fitting in, for me, a male, making friends with locals was the best medicine.  I found the expat bars a bit clickish and unwelcoming at first- then got super homesick for everything from a taco bell to a girl with blue eyes.... and felt very alone...then I started making more effort to talk to the locals who, I found, are very eager to talk with us foreign types....then it all fell into place.  I find Taiwanese, in general, very proud and enjoy showing us around.  They also know where to go for whatever you like....then next thing I know I am meeting other cool expats, seeing guns-n-roses live and playing hockey in freaking Taiwan!  I never would have guessed that!

Don't lose hope, it's a cool place- aside from the hellish heat of summer.  Keep an open mind, always smile and be polite as a guest of Taiwan and lose yourself a little and take some adventures.  Taiwan is quite safe and has a lot to offer an open minded newbie.  And once you get it, your career will flourish as well.  It's all in your perception and state of mind. 

If you want any specific's or wish to tell me what you're into I can try to hook you up with some local females (or males if you choose) who share your common interests.  There are a lot of cool expats who are in your same shoes....you just gotta know where to go for what you are looking for.

Enjoy yourself in Taiwan-

Hello conshynewbie and welcome to Expat.com!

All the best,
Harmonie.

Hi, Katrina,
I am Taiwanese Canadian and I would like to help with your Mandarin but I knew that you lived in Kaohsiung which is a little bit far away.  I'd suggest that you seek for language exchange partner or take language lessons.  You should soon meet a lot of expatriates friends as well as local friends. Here is my facebook page: facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1110113637  Drop me a line and say hello! 

Best of luck
Sarah

my wife and I are considering coming to Taiwan for a holiday and if we both like it we will probably try find work here - my wife is very anxious about being lonely there too as she doesnt speak any mandarin - we are hoping to get to know some people before we come and hopefully keep in touch too. We are from New Zealand.

Hi. I've been here quite a while. Most people speak a smattering of English especially the white collar types. We live in Hsinchu on the East coast. You can buy practically any Western type food here but if you vacation here that will give you a feel for the place..Be aware it does get hot & the humidity can be brutal sometimes..Ron

thank you Ron - we are getting lots of reassurance about living and working in Taiwan :) I think all there is left now is for us to take the plunge ourselves!!!

Thanks once again, please keep in touch :)

regards

Kevin and Sharon

Hello to ALL of you!!
I will take the flight from Paris tomorrow and arrive in Taipei on Friday 9th for "normally" 2 years!
I will start working on Tuesday, 13th and was wondering what to do this week-end... I don't like staying at home (which will be first the Garden Taipe hotel!) and would be glad if someone is willing to show me a little bit of Taipei ;-)

If not this week-end, of course it can be another time. I will anyway start to look for an appartment (if someone has any good advice as to the place to live?)

Thank you in advance and looking forward to meet some on you (expatriates and taiwanese :-))

Regards
Nathalie