How to make friends in Taiwan

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Taiwan :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Taiwan??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Being a native born English speaker I enjoy The Pig & Whistle in Tsinchu ( or Taipei ) You meet lots of new friends there.

I am no expert in making new friends, in fact, I am looking for new friends here in Hualien city myself, having just recently moved here from Canada.
However, being ethnic Chinese, and being around Chinese people for many moons, there is one helpful way to start a friendship:
Buy your way in.
Now hear me out before you think I'm nuts.
Western people are known to prefer to "go Dutch" when out with friends. In fact, many times when I was invited to a birthday party at a restaurant, we all have separate checks. It is highly unusual in Chinese custom to do that. If you are ever invited to a feast, whatever the occasion may be, simply bring a small gift. It is an insult to the host if you suggest splitting the check.
Now back to our original program. You can break the ice and make a very good impression if you simply buy someone you just met a coffee. Yes, a latte, a cappuccino, a tea....whatever. If you visit their home for the first time, bring something small. Like some fresh fruits or some cookies. Never show up empty handed.
A little something goes a long way to show that you are sincere, and not chintzy or stingy. Chinese people, whether rich or poor, dislike cheapskates.
Just my humble opinion.

JC in Hualien.

Just moved from San Francisco to Taipei few days ago. I'm looking for friends too. Facebook does help me quite a lot to meet some friends and find some cool events.

It's hard to meet people in Taiwan. People are not that open. When you go out, only old people talk to you.

It takes time. Especially to meet girls. There are some sites that let you meet language exchange partners. One is tealit.com. Click on Language Exchange or Tutoring Jobs.

If you want to understand Taiwanese people, I am one and here are my honest revelations about them:

happierabroad.com/Observations_Taiwan.htm

Expat.com wrote:

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Taiwan :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Taiwan??

Thanks in advance for your participation

In most countries, people are very open and inclusive. It is a million times easier to meet people than in the US.

Taiwan is not a great country to meet people in. They are closed and shy and not open in general. You should try the Philippines or even China instead. Taiwan is one of the few overseas countries that's hard to meet people in. Japan is another.

hi guys,

just wondering if there is any Singaporeans living in Taiwan. Cheers!