Perceptions of East European Migrants in Britain

Dear all,

I was wondering if you might be able to help me out with my research on perceptions of East European migrants in Britain. I am currently doing a PhD at University College London in which I interview British citizens and East European migrants in order to find out what the common prejudice / stereotypes about East European migrants are and how they affect East European migrants.

How, in your opinion, are East European migrants perceived in terms of race / in comparison to previous 'black' migrations to the UK?
How are East European migrants perceived in terms of class / in comparison to the British white working class?
And - in terms of gender - how are East European men perceived? How are East European women perceived?

How do particular stereotypes affect East European migrants (if you happen to be one)?
Do particular stereotypes influence how you act when confronted with British people?
Have you had any experience with discrimination?

I would be very grateful for any help you might be able to give me. Best wishes! :)

Hi,

I just saw your topic. How far are you with your PHD research?
I am originally from Hungary /still on the Hungarian passport/ but have been living all my adult life outside of Hungray. I moved in 2008 for private resons to UK until I had a supportive british partner everything seemed ok in the UK. Sice I separated and started my single eastern european woman life in London, it is a disaster.

Specially goverment officials, such as the local Council are very if not extreamly rassistic when it comes to Eastern Europe.

My experience is sadly, that not the Brits, but the British Indian and British African (to make it absolutely clear this is a generalisation, and not everybody from the above mentioned imgration background is this valid) are very rassistic to Eastern European. I think the problem is being caucasian while they are other ethnic background than the "native" Brits and the Eastern European migrants. It is a very serious issue anyhow.

PM me if you like to make an interview.

Cheers

Dear Melle123,

Wow, talk about a can of worms.........

I joined Expat just after you posted your thread, so I have only just seen it (thank you sissylondon)- thus the delay in replying.

I would be very interested in PM with you to discuss what I have viewed in my time in retail over the past 30 years and the perceptions of retail managers and staff from all areas.

Looking forward to hearing off you, thank you

Chuckles.