How to get to...

hey guys,
I`m moving to Manchester soon. I`ll be working in Delph, Oldham;
could you give me any tips what would be the best place to live in? I`d prefer to live in the city centre but is there any good public transport connection?
I`d be grateful for any advice.

Hello Agata,

Welcome to Ex-Pat, and also to the North of England. I am not sure where you are living at the moment, but I am pleased to let you know that I live only 40 minutes from Delph. I live in Littleborough, just slightly North West - across the Moor.

I am not sure if you mean you want to live in Oldham centre, or Manchester centre. The trains run regularly from Manchester City center to Oldham, but Delph is quite a way out from Oldham center and you may find that you are reliant on buses.Please know; Delph is a beautiful and picturesque village on the edge of the town. You may be better advised to find somewhere near to Delph - Diggle, Uppermill or Dobcross. The area is very beautiful and lends itself to dreaming......

As you can see, I love the area and am very passionate about it. I was born in Oldham and would love to show you round. If you visit before you move, I would be glad to meet you and show you around the area, maybe check out some places for you to stay?

Please feel free to privet message me, I will be happy to help you with your adventure.

Chuckles.

Hi,
thank you sooo much for your reply, that is so kind of you! :)
I soon as I get to know when I`ll be strating, I`ll let you know.

Getting back to the topic, what I meant was Manchester city centre. I`m used to living in a big town so I`m afraid that moving to little village could be a huge shock to me;)
What I`m a bit worried about, though, is the distance to work. I don`t have a car now that is why I`d have to rely on public transport. The thing is if it would be better to look for something right in the center or it is better to choose a different area of the city?

Thanks once again for your help,
and hope to see you in Manchester :)

Hiya, me again,

I need to be honest, living in the city and working in Delph is going to be difficult, especially in the winter. The journey is lovely in the summer, and the snow in the winter is quite fantastic, but plays havoc with the roads, Delph is 20km (12.5 miles)from Manchester. I'm not sure about trains, but I will look into it tomorrow for you. I have a friend who lived in Greenfield, not quite as far out as Delph but he is lovely and is great for information on trains and buses as he doesn't drive.

I have been looking into bus routes/times and this is about the best information I can find quickly: Greater Manchester bus route 184 is a frequent bus route, operated by First Greater Manchester. The service runs hourly Monday-Saturday daytime on its full route between Manchester and Huddersfield and also runs hourly between Manchester-Diggle via Dobcross.

Leave it with me for a couple of days please.

Can I ask what the work is?

Glad to help,

Chuckles