Moving to Manchester - ideas about good areas to live in?

I'm thinking about taking a job in Manchester, which would bring my partner Tim and I overseas (from the US) for a few years.  The job would be in central Manchester, with some occasional trips to Liverpool.  My partner and I are in our 30s/40s, no kids, one dog who would come with. We'd like to find a place where we could live w/o a car, and have pubs and shops and things in walking distance.

Anyone got advice about areas to consider? I've been thinking about Eccles as a good option - relatively close to central Manchester but also on the Liverpool train line, good transport links, reasonably up and coming area if we buy a place (the job's a 3 year gig and right now we're not planning on being permanent expats, so resale value would be important too).

Eccles looks good on paper but I've no idea what it is like in terms of livability. Anyone got input about Eccles, or other areas to consider?

Ok, I found out yesterday I got the job, so moving to Manchester is on! Please, anyone with any advice, I'd much appreciate the help.

R

Be careful - have you ever visited Manchester before?? Or liverpool?? They are very dangerous cities with very high rates of crime. A lot of UK cities are like that - go visit first and see how you like it.. personally if I were you - I'd stay in Vancouver.

I suggest you read these -

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202925/The-burglary-map-Britain-Manchester-tops-crime-league-shame.html

bbc.co.uk/manchester/have_your_say/2003/01/06/gun_crime.shtml

Also read about racial clashes in Manchester - google it - its been one of the highest in all of UK. In my opinion Manchester and Liverpool are the most dangerous unsafe cities in UK and I would not even personally think of going there. Sorry its just the way I feel - but I hope you make the right decision with your move.

Manchester is a big city... with lots of different people and culture, so sometimes you have tensions and problems but if you are carefull, don't worry too much, there are lots of cameras and policemen around the city and I am feeling safe and confortable here...

If you want a nice area, prefer the sud of manchester, I live in the north and work here, in a town called Rochdale, I like it but it's a very poor area...

You have some nice towns in the south, near manchester center, Old trafford, Chorlton, Althricham...

I hope you will like this city... It's amazing in fact!

crime problems and racial clashes are the same as in every bigger european city. the media is exaggerating it! i live in central manchester and never had any problems! brilliant public transport links to other northern cities as well as to the rest of the uk.

Hi rachaelvr, have you already moved to Manchester?  How is it?

Would you mind to share with me? I am also planning to move and work in Manchester.....

Was it difficult to find a job???

Rachael - I don't know Manchester particularly well, so can't offer advice on where to live, but don't let Jetsetgo's daft comments put you off. Manchester and Liverpool are fine if you exercise common sense and stay out of a few bad areas. No big cities are without their problems.

A lot of English southerners think that the north is a war zone - generally without ever having been there.

Hello my answer will be very simple.
Coming from France it's been 5 months that i am living here.
I love Manchester.
Hulme can be a good place for you or depending on how much you want to pay your flat, you can have a good and nice one in the city center. The city is making up new with new buildings.

Cheers

Hello!I guess by now you are all settled! I really hope you are enjoying the experience in Manchester:) As previously stated by sensible souls on this page, any large european city comes with risks and dodgy areas. But frankly, if you have any common sense, you will know where not to go or to avoid. I have been living in Altrincham/Hale for the past 17 years (I am French) and am loving it. Manchester has changed a lot since I first came here and for the better. It s a very dynamic city, with many good suprises if you bother to look and investigate.Making friends?Well, like anywhere, you need to remember that you are the foreigner and therefore sometimes need to adapt to the social-cultural habbits without judgement. After that, you will find that Northerners are a lot friendlier to strangers than Southerners (although I do have many friends from the "SOUTH",ahah!
Climatewise well, ok it s pretty rubbish but the proximity of Wales,Peak District, the Cheshire and Lancashire countryside, and Lake District make up for it. It s only a few hours by train to London and Scotland and the airports of Liverpool and Manchester offer great deals all year round to expand your adventure in the UK. So, enjoy it fully, ignore the "scardy cats", and before you know it you will be "mad for it"!lol take care :)

Hey.

I'm currently in Leeds, I know - I'm just down the road from Manchester, but I have friends moving over from France - some decent city job from what I can make of it.

I was wondering whether any of you actually from Manchester know any good estate agents or guides I can pass on to them? I'm a little sceptical because of where I am now theres a few seeminlgy OK agents which are locally notorious for withholding deposits, or not attending for utility problems etc...

They're quite young, early 30's, and they're looking to live in the city!

Cheers

I've found a company called UK1, it turns out that they're based in Leeds as well as Manchester.
Has anyone heard anything good / bad about them?
They seem to have some pretty decent flats in Manchester City Center.

I'm really looking for some local knowlege though everyone ;)

Hello Cubiccaron, i've just seen your post. if it's not too late, tomorrow i will take some estate agents contact in the city center where i am working. there are many nice news flats available at a very goot rate.

Sorry for the late entry, just joined. I've lived in Manchester for several years now, in the town centre. All this nonsense about racial tensions and crime are ridicolous. Anyway, moving on.

Chorlton and west disbury are both quite nice with good transport connections to central Manchester. Manchester is big, but if you are such inclined, it is possible to ride your bike into town. But as others have stated, avoid north Manchester. It's quite deprived. I would also avoid TRafford and East Manchester (sports city in particular) with the football stadiums.

City Centre Manchester also offers a good range of decent apartments. It's a fairly laid back atmosphere in Manchester, and some Jazz in the Northern Quarter is always a great time.

[moderated: no free ads in your very first message]

Sorry for the late reply to Cubicaaron! I guess some estate agents are worse than others but it is quite difficult to recommend any as all will try to make more money  and find problems (or create some even sometimes!)as far as deposits are concerned.... I can only advise your friends to cover their backs as much as possible....i.e. take pictures when you move in thoroughly, do your own inventory and send copies to the agent and the owner.Same when you hand over the keys....I know too many people who ended up paying for unnecessary painting, fixing etc. as the agent or owner was being dishonnest! As for the utilities, if it is in a block of flat, especially Abito in Salford Quays, check from the start if they are fixed rates or not as you may end up paying a lot more than you actually use and you can't do anything about it if you agree to it at the start! Avoid Internet and telephone landline suppliers who offer a monthly contract as they make you think you can leave whenever but have tricks up their sleeves to make you pay for longer and again you cannot do anything to stop them! So basically....be careful! Areas in Manchester, Yes Northern Quarters are a hip place to be but quite noisy as it is the place to go out in town...so be prepared!There are many new flats all over the city so it is worth checking a few before making a decision. Outside Manchester, the southern area is better by a mile but also quite expensive. Altrincham (end of the tram line direct to Manchester)is at 20 minutes in tram and a bit more by car. About 11-12 miles.Voila! I hope this will not scare you too much...but better safe than sorry...:)

Frogster wrote:

Sorry for the late reply to Cubicaaron! I guess some estate agents are worse than others but it is quite difficult to recommend any as all will try to make more money  and find problems (or create some even sometimes!)as far as deposits are concerned.... I can only advise your friends to cover their backs as much as possible....i.e. take pictures when you move in thoroughly, do your own inventory and send copies to the agent and the owner.Same when you hand over the keys....I know too many people who ended up paying for unnecessary painting, fixing etc. as the agent or owner was being dishonnest! As for the utilities, if it is in a block of flat, especially Abito in Salford Quays, check from the start if they are fixed rates or not as you may end up paying a lot more than you actually use and you can't do anything about it if you agree to it at the start! Avoid Internet and telephone landline suppliers who offer a monthly contract as they make you think you can leave whenever but have tricks up their sleeves to make you pay for longer and again you cannot do anything to stop them! So basically....be careful! Areas in Manchester, Yes Northern Quarters are a hip place to be but quite noisy as it is the place to go out in town...so be prepared!There are many new flats all over the city so it is worth checking a few before making a decision. Outside Manchester, the southern area is better by a mile but also quite expensive. Altrincham (end of the tram line direct to Manchester)is at 20 minutes in tram and a bit more by car. About 11-12 miles.Voila! I hope this will not scare you too much...but better safe than sorry...:)

Like most places around the world, landlines and internet companies tie you for a month.

As for your deposit, many landlords are siging up to a deposit scheme these days which means the money is held by a third party to release. But like anywhere, be diligent in nothing all defects and state you took over the flat in. I took over a flat which was filthy, tried to get an agent over to have a look, they refused..then when we moved, charged us for cleaning. (dusting the top of the skirting boards).

Also, avoid 'the green quarter'. It is slums of the future..no local amenities, no shops nearby when you are in need of a small dash of milk or anything.

Hey all. I will be arriving in Manchester very soon. To start, I intend to house/flat share upon arrival on a short term basis until I secure my own flat. Can someone tell me what areas of Salford that are nice and safe to reside versus not recommended? Any comments about Eccles?
Thanks!

Eccles..It's what I would term 'chav town'. One of the most unpleasant areas of Greater Manchester I've been to. Rent is accordingly cheap though. I know a few people who have lived there and survived. Quality of the housing is not very good either, and it's a bit out of town.

If you look around central salford, 'MediaCity' and Ordsall, there's been a flurry of buildings going up in the past few years, tram connections to town and all that. This is probably the nicest area of Salford as far as I have seen, though it's still a lot of building going on there. It should be pretty active once it's all done. Hope this helps, feel free to fire of any more questions if you have them.

Hulme, or even the City centre is not far away from Salford..though salford is quite a large city of its own.

Thank you Knut for your response as well as your responses to others. It was most helpful and appreciated and based on your comments I shall scratch Eccles off my list. I've seen Chavs in action and found it best to avoid them. I arrive in Manchester on 28 October and decided to initially flatshare just to get a better idea of the city overall prior to living solo. I have been focusing on the Salford area due to that the majority of available flatshares I find there via online fit my search criteria of 2-person tenancy and flatshare budget (£300-400pcm excl bills). Places in the postal codes M3, M5 near Ordsall Park and M50-Quays as you mentioned are areas I am interested in as I prefer to be walking or quick transport distance to the City Centre.

Ideally, I would like to reside near Manchester Piccadilly where I normally stay. M1, M3 Deansgate, or M15 Hulme are areas of choice but are either limited in availability, above what I am willing to pay for a flatshare or have households with 3 or more tenants (primarily students) that prefer younger lodgers. As you stated, Manchester is on the build with ample availability in many areas. I'm certain I'll find something suitable. If anything, my Plan B is to contact the letting agent that I met there recently through friends who seems reputable and proceed going forward with a pay-in-full contract on my own flat. Again thanks for your helpful response and will look to you should I have additional questions. Cheers!

Though availability is limited according to your own research, 3/400 is plenty to pay your share of a 2 bed flat in the city centre I would say..These usually go for around £700. They can be expected to be of good quality as well. Sharing as of September myself with a good friend and I expect to pay no more than £350 tops, though I'm going to look in Chorlton, rumour has it that it is somewhat more affordable than the city centre.

Tram line is due to open next year as well there.

One other question surfaced: Is tenant insurance required by landlords/letting agencies whether you rent a room or your own flat? Thanks!

Can't say I have ever heard of it. Tenancy Deposit Schemes are used by some, not all landlords here. Depending mostly if you go via a private person or a bigger company mostly. Essentially keeps their greedy hands of your deposit if you contest their claims when you leave if they try to withold any of your deposit for unfair reasons.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TenancyDeposit/DG_066383

Another useful site is TDS, I used them to deal with my previous landlord directly.

http://www.thedisputeservice.co.uk/

Some good literature on their site with regards to renting in the UK.

In preparation of my pending relo I've been researching the letting process and find it somewhat intimidating compared to the US and Netherlands and feel I must approach the issue of renting with much caution. I heard lots of horror stories out there dealing with badly written contracts and excessive/hidden fees, etc. Are there any tips you can share as to what to watch out for when drawing up a contract for a flatshare with tenants or single apartment via agent? Thanks again in advance!

It's nothing too scary, I don't think. Most contracts are pretty standard, though I'd try to contest things like 'landlord retains any interest made on deposit' clauses for example. I believe there is a standard available from some tenant/landlord advice body, though I am not 100% certain on that. Beyond that, just rigorously document the state of the place you move in (both wirtten and photographic) and send a copy to your estate agent and keep 1 for your record, more often than not, they try to squeeze as much out of a deposit upon leaving as possible. The evidence you provide at the beginning of your tenancy thereby becomes useful.

They do generally charge you a fee when you sign up as part of their 'admin fee', this various significantly. It might be worth asking what you actually are paying for. A bit of photocopying can't cost £70 or whatever it is they charge these days..

I have noticed with some landlords/estate agents, that they are slow to repair things and do often go with the cheap solution..which means they have to continously repair stuff instead of doing it properly the first time. Persitance usually pays of with a letter refering to your contract. Once you have asserted yourself, they generally fall in line from my experience. There will always be some teething problems, but there's plenty of advice to be found on how to tackle troublesome landlords.

The benefit of going with an estate agent versus a private landlord is they are easier to hold accountable. The last private landlord I encountered kept our entire deposit, changed her number and stopped answering letters. This on top of telling us the amount of tenants she had taken to small claims court to settle outstanding rent.

Just an additional note. I finally found a new pad in manchester, found going via gumtree was very good. Avoided the estate agents all together and got directly to the source. It saved us probably about £300 in 'admin' costs, and found an awesome apartment. Keep me posted if you need anything else, and I'll try to help out.

Congrats on your new digs! I often view the availabilty on both Gumtree and SpareRoom. I take it the process is the same for both; you contact the advert, schedule a meet and greet/viewing and if the place is suitable you hope you are accepted based on their expectations. How long was your search and how many places did you view before being offered your new flat? Did you lose out on other flats you were interested in due to competition with other viewers?

We had about 15 cancellations on flats as they got let before we could view them..Booked them early in the week for viewings on weekends, and alas..the pirayas were out. haha. But seriously, viewed about 4 other flats and 1 house over teh course of a week. Didn't go for any of them obviously. Though they were in 'desireable' areas, they were mostly a joke to be honest. Dark, dingy and small. Our budget was generous too. Nice properties are rare and go fast. As is the case anywhere I would suspect. But yeah, got in touch via gumtree, got a number, arranged viewing, did deal.

The flat we did end up with, we were the 2nd group to view it, offered to take it of her hands there and then, she accepted instantly. Got my keys and associated codes and swab things on saturday, I am pelased. Got a bottle of beer and a card as well from the landlord!! In my experience, private landlords just want their property of the market asap to cover their mortgage, estate agents will push you for all your worth, though you can generally offer about £50 less than advertised and take it from there. That covers your transportation costs in Manchester as well, a bus pass is about £40.

All in all, a good experience really. Alot better than all my previous lettings through estate agents. But I also have a deep seething hate for them, so my opinion is not partial.

On a side note, it is required by law now to have your deposit in a government backed scheme. England catches up with the rest of the world. So your money should be safer, even with private landlords.

Hey Knut, I did study the deposit scheme but have a question: After vacating a property/post-inspection, how is the deposit paid-back to the former tenant? Cash, check or bank wire? Many thanks!

Bank wire usually, not sure but you might be able to request a cheque. Is this with the thought you might vacate the place and leave the country before it's paid back?

I was just curious as to the process as I am not sure where in the region I will end up living on a more permanent basis. Wire transfer is perfect! Thanks again for the info.

Don't forget to take lots and lots of photograps of all the rooms (for their condition)right at the beginning of the tenancy; preferably with a camera that will 'date' the photographs.

Thank you to everyone here for all the valuable tips and advice. I arrived in Manchester on the 6th of January and now renting a beautiful end-terraced home in Clayton Bridge, a lovely area just east of Newton Heath. With the bus stop less than 100m away for a 17min ride to City Centre and all the amenities at walking distance, I made an exellent choice. Thanks again everyone!

Manchester can be quite crowded, but I think it's negative reputation that I've seen in some of these posts is quite undeserved.

I'm originally from the US, and lived for a few months in Manchester while my English-born husband finished his degree at the University of Manchester. I found the night life to be great and quite varied, and the people to be quite friendly.

I would recommend looking at Didsbury, I absolutely loved the area and they had great restaurants and pubs. Also it was on the bus route which made it very easy to get in to the centre of town.

Good luck.

So I am interested how Rachel got on with her move to Manchester? Was it as bad as some made out? I am originally from Manchester but now live in Perth, Australia. My husband and I are looking into coming back home although we are older now and we need jobs and housing. We are concerned it may be more difficult for us.

Hi, i am thinking to move from London to Manchester.
Can anyone tell me where the best area is as an ethnic minority would like to live somewhere trouble free with good schools for my kids, not looking to move to any ghettos.
I had Worsley in mind can anyone give advice please.

Thanks

Xotic wrote:

Hi, i am thinking to move from London to Manchester.
Can anyone tell me where the best area is as an ethnic minority would like to live somewhere trouble free with good schools for my kids, not looking to move to any ghettos.
I had Worsley in mind can anyone give advice please.

Thanks

What sort of ethnic enclave are you looking for? Worsley is sort of affluent.

hi there let me know when your in liverpool i can show you around x

I am planning to visit Manchester.