New(ish) Member: Gringa in Guatemala

I signed up for this site a couple of months ago, but now I'm officially an expat (again!). Originally from the US, I'm now living in Guatemala. I'm hoping to get the expat community here more unified (the expat community in Chile was pretty active and I miss that).

Welcome Pecas !
Your thread will be moved to the Guatemala forum :-)

Hi Pecas,

Where in Guate are you? We are in Xela.

Tom

i'm in guatemala city (ick, right?). I think I would like Guatemala better if I didnt live in the sprawling capital city. How's Xela?

Hi Pecas  Xela is huge,2nd largest city in Guat. It's 7500 feet elevation and quite chilling temp. Panajachel on Lago Atitilan is much nicer at 5200 feet. Weather is real nice all year round and lots of gringos and gringas. Indians are friendly.                              Hope this helps  Larship

I like Xela and visiting the lake but I think Antigua is hard to beat in terms of lifestyle.  There are a lot of expats here, some are active within the expat community, others are active in the non-expat community.  The neat thing is that expats are not just Americans, but lots of Europeans and a few Asians.  You've got almost everything you need here but you can still walk from one end to the other.  Pretty neat.