Healthcare in the Philippines

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in the Philippines ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in the Philippines?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Julien,

Great question! I myself was going to post regarding this same subject. Reason: I saw the ad from Cigna posted via this blog and was wondering has anyone subscribed to Cigna for health and dental insurance for the Philippines.

Anyone can answer?

Craig

hi julien,

There is a mandatory health care that is a government program which we called as " PHILHEALTH" but this is very minimal. I highly recommended you Blue Cross which has a comprehensive medical coverage that covers from 0- 100 years old, and you can choose your own doctor hospital clinic, and doctor nationwide. if you want i can refer you to my friend, .. name toffee

You cannot count on the public sector for health care.

A friend of mine was Human Resources head for a local bank and she often mentioned how pleased she was with Intellicare..., how the bank saved a lot of money with the package they offered. (I'm not in any way connected to Intellicare).

But I don't know what conditions there are for an individual to get coverage from Intellicare.

The public sector is not one of the Philippine's assests. You must be ready to pay for all your medical needs here.

to xspat- because Intellicare are more focusing on the Group/corporate Account. But in Blue Cross they intend to focus on Individual/ Personalized medical coverage,for at rest assure they have the benefits that are comprehensive, flexible and convenience.or try to seek personalized medical insurance then.

toffee

It matters not what insurance you have when dealing with the corrupt medical system in the Philippines...If the hospitals know you are a foreigner or rich Filipino they will do whatever to bilk you out of as much as they can...Even the donated vaccines for infants and children from the World Health Organizations are being ripped off by local provincial government clinics telling patients there is no supply because they sold the supplies to the private sector and then in turn sold to those WHO CAN AFFORD IT for as much as 3 K pesos a dose...The hospitals all over the Philippines are notorious about lying to expectant mothers about the progress of their labor by telling them their baby is in danger or both are and then doing everything in their power to get the patient to sign to an unneeded C-Section...I have even heard horror stories they intentionally even subject the patient to internal life threatening infections after the surgery causing the patient to return for long term hospital stay to cure the infection or botched surgery at a cost of tens of thousands of pesos to the family not to mention long term medical problems thereafter....

So if you have good insurance like Blue Cross and because of the corruption there they will possibly cause you to become sicker than what you should be just to rip off the insurance companies...DONT TRUST ANY HOSPITAL AND MOST DOCTORS IN THE PHILIPPINES..PERIOD!!!! I have witnessed it too many times already...

vetretreat wrote:

It matters not what insurance you have when dealing with the corrupt medical system in the Philippines...If the hospitals know you are a foreigner or rich Filipino they will do whatever to bilk you out of as much as they can...Even the donated vaccines for infants and children from the World Health Organizations are being ripped off by local provincial government clinics telling patients there is no supply because they sold the supplies to the private sector and then in turn sold to those WHO CAN AFFORD IT for as much as 3 K pesos a dose...The hospitals all over the Philippines are notorious about lying to expectant mothers about the progress of their labor by telling them their baby is in danger or both are and then doing everything in their power to get the patient to sign to an unneeded C-Section...I have even heard horror stories they intentionally even subject the patient to internal life threatening infections after the surgery causing the patient to return for long term hospital stay to cure the infection or botched surgery at a cost of tens of thousands of pesos to the family not to mention long term medical problems thereafter....

So if you have good insurance like Blue Cross and because of the corruption there they will possibly cause you to become sicker than what you should be just to rip off the insurance companies...DONT TRUST ANY HOSPITAL AND MOST DOCTORS IN THE PHILIPPINES..PERIOD!!!! I have witnessed it too many times already...

We are all entitled to express our opinions or share the experiences we had, may it be good or bad, as this could shed some light to other people, I just hope the information is credible.  Im sorry if you had a bad experience in the Philippines when you sought for medical help but I have to disagree with you generalizing that the healthcare system in my country sucks, because it also involves the welfare of the Filipino people and the credibility of my fellow Filipino healthcare professionals. Medical tourism is a growing industry in the Philippines, it has been known as healthcare destination because of the phenomenal growth of travelers visiting the country for medical and health-related reasons.

The Philippines has long achieved medical breakthroughs and milestones, making it one of Asias most advanced nations in the field of healthcare. Moreover, leading hospitals are accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI) or certified by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). St. Lukes Medical Center, Asian Hospital and Medical Center, Makati Medical Center and Medical City are among the top hospitals of the country. These hospitals offer state-of-art equipment that are at par with topnotch institutions in the US and Europe. You can get the same high-quality healthcare at a cost 50% to 80% lower compared to these elite countries. Many of the doctors are internationally trained and have accumulated extensive experience in their medical specialties. Youll certainly receive the highest level of healthcarewithout the staggering bills.

The development of medical tourism had boost the healthcare industry in general, allowing easier access to healthcare for ordinary Filipinos. Medical tourism makes hospitals constantly improve their services and facilities, which local patients benefit from. Some hospitals geared for medical tourism allocate a percentage of their cases to charity as part of their corporate social responsibility program. The Phil. government is making all efforts to improve the quality of healthcare  being delivered, both in public and private sector. The administration is doing all their best to eliminate corruption in the system. I hope you'll try to see what this industry has to offer. I wish you well and hope that your stay in the Philippines will be worthwhile. Salam.

Lina,

No where in my posting did I say medical services "SUCKS", you did and I do like your description as such...You can attach all the blue ribbons you want to your countries medical system...It is true the hospitals you mentioned are of  the best in the Philippines and have mostly the best equipment available...I personally have been to St. Lukes for my wifes blood work...To my amazement, unless you are an accredited elitist, or have good health insurance they require you to put cash up front for their services..The blood work was over 20K pesos we had to put up..In the USA that same blood work could had been done for about 10 to 12K pesos..50 to 80% less..I don't think so, maybe at government hospitals that is true...Also they charge patients to pay for parking; unheard of in most 1st world nations...If a patient has receipt of services in hand parking should be a gratuity...

I also found out the EMR is no different, if you are a peasant with no money and come into the EMR of any of those hospitals mentioned as well as almost all other private hospitals in the Philippines, they will refuse them treatment and will tell them to go to an accredited government clinic or hospital which may be miles away, some of which are not even equipped to service many kinds of emergencies...MY POINT IS: Even though those hospitals you mentioned are of the best in the 3rd world and greatly cater to, as you say, MEDICAL TOURISM, they have almost no programs for those who cannot afford it(that is 70% or more of your nation) ..DID I SAY 3rd WORLD..Yes I did...Interestingly enough the Philippines was considered a 2nd WORLD NATION less than 2 decades ago...I wonder why that is...Could it have something to do with the country's business practices and the "massive" corruption and exploitation of its peoples.???..The Philippines has about 100 million people and having approximately 60 to 70 million in or near poverty, most of those peoples have limited or no access to healthcare...Of those accredited hospitals you mentioned just how many of those peoples are they willing to accommodate...My guess is less than .00001% if that...

You say your government is cracking down on corruption...LOL...From what I have witnessed corruption there is at an all time high..The price of GRAFT has gone way up, all the way from traffic enforcers, police, barangay officials, construction companies, hospitals(padded bills), etc...When it is reported there is almost never any action taken unless it is made public and justice is demanded by the locals or it is near election time..LOL..Oh, you will hear of crackdown on some crooked operations because they were not making their required donations and or were competition with those elitist in control...

You never addressed the issue of vaccines given by W.H.O. for the children of the world..Explain to me how those vaccines are readily available in many hospital pharmacies and some pediatricians offices but are in short or no supply in the clinics they are meant for to be distributed to all the children of the Philippines...There can be only one logical answer; CORRUPTION...Just like much of the donations and aid for the Yolanda victims...Example: generators donated for power were found in the Makati, Global City area being sold by vendors...

I'm sorry, Lina, I just don't see all those leaps and bounds you claim your country is making for the masses...Only for those who already have more than they can personally spend and those who will sell their souls to jump on board...

My wife and I are both healthcare providers in the US and we have used healthcare in the Philippines on a couple of occasions. There are hospitals (generally in Manila or Cebu) equally on a par with most facilities in the US. Right next door will be a facility right out of The Walking Dead. Pretty much like anything in the Philippines use your common sense, research, and keep an eye on everything. Ask questions! One trick used on some foreigners is that we need such and such medication for your family member. You go get from pharmacy, give to staff who then use it on another patient. We have been pleased with most of our experiences, but the trick is stay alert and ask.

I don't understand when you mentioned "get the medicine, give it to staff, and they give it to someone else". Not sure I follow.

-JohnnyBravo- wrote:

I don't understand when you mentioned "get the medicine, give it to staff, and they give it to someone else". Not sure I follow.

What he means is..If you are in the hospital, especially a government subsidized one, they will tell you, you need certain meds and perhaps even give you some of it but turn around and give it to other patients and charge them also or if they are unable to pay in a government hospital, it would be of no expense to the hospital...The corruption in the healthcare system in the PI goes on an on...I have seen people who were actually held prisoner because they didnt have enough to pay their bill..Guards would surround them until they got friends or family members to come up with the balance even if it was only a few hundred pesos...That is considered kidnapping in the Philippines, but do you think the police would do anything???

Ahhhh...I understand now. I was just wondering because I've tried to buy aspirin and they would only sell me enough for the one headache like I would never get another one. Just 2 Tylenol and would have to go back the next day and get 2 more.

-JohnnyBravo- wrote:

Ahhhh...I understand now. I was just wondering because I've tried to buy aspirin and they would only sell me enough for the one headache like I would never get another one. Just 2 Tylenol and would have to go back the next day and get 2 more.

You forgot to tip..LOL...tip them 50 pesos and they will give you as much as you want...

I learn so much here!  LoL I forget the tipping part all the time! Forget how things are done there sometimes. Just something to get used to.

One of my nieces was in the hospital well over a year after she was born. Why? You don't get to bring the baby home until you pay the bill. A slightly different concept then at my facility where I practice.

Ponani wrote:

One of my nieces was in the hospital well over a year after she was born. Why? You don't get to bring the baby home until you pay the bill. A slightly different concept then at my facility where I practice.

Actually Ponani..They could had walked out of  the hospital anytime...All they had to do was call the police...Even though it is common practice for them to do that, it is against the law and is a serious felony called kidnapping...

It's is just another reason why the Philippines will remain a 3rd World Nation...The almighty PESO is king and the GREEDY will do anything to get more..

Know a woman had heart problems. Same thing...couldn't leave till the bill was paid in full. Meanwhile, it keeps adding up!

If your wife or friends wife is having a baby...BEWARE..They will tell you your wife's progress is at 8 to 9 1/2 Centimeter (10 cm is the max) and you and your baby are at risk and an emergency C-Section must be performed...If they tell you that ask if they have used Oxytocin to induce labor and to show you a heart monitor to see if baby is in distress...Also if ask to see your wife and see where her contractions are at...If they are still 3 to 5 minutes apart that is a red flag which indicates they are undoubtedly lying and you should escape that hospital as quickly as possible....A C section is major surgery and can lead to death, infection and or long term medical problems...ONCE AGAIN IT'S THE ALMIGHTY PESO WHICH HAS DETERMINED THE FATE OF YOUR MEDICAL TREATMENT...

Two years ago, I made a post about how one will be charged if he / she gets admitted at a hospital, or what is called "Socialized Pricing in Hospitals":

I think this is one very important info that expats, especially those who have not yet experienced being admitted in a hospital in the Philippines, should know: SOCIALIZED PRICING IN HOSPITALS. In simple terms, the higher the cost of your hospital room, the higher the price for hospital services, medications and medical supplies. This is adopted by most, if not all, hospitals in Metro Manila (and maybe also hospitals in other places in the Philippines). And it is legal.

So, if you feel like checking in to one of the more expensive rooms or upgrading to one, consider first that it's not only the difference in the room rates you have to pay extra, but you also have to pay a premium over the cost of services. That is, your xray, blood tests, lab work, supplies, medications (such as antibiotics, IV, pain relievers, etc.), nurses and doctors will be more expensive than if you stayed in a cheaper room.

In one of the local hospitals near our home, there's not much difference between the PhP1,650 / day "regular private room" and PhP4,200 / day "semi-suite". Both have a companion's bed, tv with cable, aircon, refrigerator, direct line phone, private bathroom, closet, and side table with drawers. The floor space for walking is the same. The only difference was the extra furnishings on the semi-suite: a small table with chairs, a chair with an ottoman, and an extra sink. So, if one checks in at the semi-suite instead of the regular private room, he / she would be charged not only PhP2,550 extra for each day of stay but also an extra amount / percentage for services and supplies rendered.

If you ever need to be admitted, take a peek first at the available rooms. Maybe you can do without the extras. Or if you're on a budget and you have a situation where you need to be admitted asap, but the only available room is an expensive one which has the "extras" that you don't really need, consider downgrading later on to a less expensive room that suits your needs by signing up on the waiting list for that room.

Or you can just ignore this post If you have money to burn.

THANKS FOR THIS !!! I hope I never need to use this advice, BUT, in case I do I will remember this!

FilAmericanMom,

Thanks for the informative post!  Good information.

Jim and Terry
Silang

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

I am a US citizen and need information please on getting health insurance for the Phils. Thanks.

We have two policies. One is mine, through an old employer, that covers me anywhere in the world. Other covers my wife and son, Aetna, that covers them anywhere in the world besides the USA (price to cover the states significantly more expensive).
We have two doctors in my wife's family, who essentially serve as our family doctors and make all the referrals we require. Thus, we consider the quality of care to be excellent. For those who do not have this type of connection, I would not be concerned. There are a number of fine hospitals (in Manila) that offer good services and physicians.

They have passed a law now that hospitals cannot hold a person ransom for unpaid bills. I had this experience with my girlfriend. She had an appendectomy and held her for an extra day to try to get money from her. I called my lawyer to make sure I was right about the law then went to the hospital and started getting loud using the word hostage, ransom etc.. The locals don't like us getting loud and making a fuss. I ended up in the addmn. office and told them to bill her or call the police because we were leaving. They made her sign a promise note and we left. Most people here don't know that they can stand up to this kind of abuse.

My advice for foreigner is to get repatriated to your home country for any serious illness

I agree I'm a disabled Vet. and if I needed to I would go back to the states to get it taken care of

Great information.

A representative for my insurance company (local to where I was injured) conspired with a person in the billing department to add the equivalent of all the insurance company would be paying to my bill, added to the professional fees. So the surgeon was going along with it.

I refused to pay and just sat on the billing area and insulted them until they removed about 25000 pesos. I filed with the insurance company to investigate, and then with that info. I went to the NBI and asked them to investigate attempted fraud charges, They were quite helpful

In the end, I got an apology, and inconvenienced them a bit. Woo hoo. Anyway, still a victory. As the NBI agent said... You never know you might need medical again.

It's good to know your info.

My experience is be insured, then it's Filipino dealing with Filipino, that normally works... My case was an anomaly I think.

I was in the hospital twice last year. B0th times I was at a private hospital. I found you will nee d lots of cash. Just to get in I had to leave a deposit for your room. The doctor works for the hospital so his fees will be on your final bill. As you need drugs or blood you will have to pay for it before hand. I was lucky to have a filipina girl staying with me so she was able to run to the hospital drug store for me. I had a discover card which is useless in the philippines. You had better have a visa or master card which would have made things move easier. The cost of the entire two weeks in the hospital was $1500 each time.
Larry, Lapu Lapu city, Mactan, Cebu.

I've had two major health care experiences in the Philippines.  My first one was a kidney stone.  I chose the most expensive route, the laser treatment.  It was quick and non invasive.  My care was stellar.  In 2010, I had a heart attack and went to the De LaSalle University Medical Center Emergency Room.  It was determined that my heart attack was trigger by Diabetes 2, previously undiagnosed.  Again, my care was accurate and outstanding.  In addition, we just had a baby in a government hospital.  My total experience with that was great too.   I realize that everyone has their own testimony on health care in the Philippines.  I have been here eight years and have only praise for the care I have been given.  I have lived without any insurance (other than PhilHealth) for the past eight years and paid for everything out of pocket.  I have spent far less that I would have on premiums for that period of time.  It's all good!

8 years ago I had an infection on my foot, right between my two of my toes. It was bad enough that my whole foot was swollen and I could hardly walk. My sister-in-law suggested that I visit her doctor (can't recall his name). He told me that he actually studied medicine in the US. He said the infection was very severe and I needed to be admitted to the hospital so they could  give me antibiotics though an IV. I had just started a new job and explained that I could not miss work and if there was any other way. He gave me three different prescriptions and said to return in a week. After a week there was not much improvement and he informed that since I didn't follow his advice that now it had gotten so bad that he would have to admit me immediately and amputate one or two of my toes and part of my foot. Of course, I balked at that and decided to get a second opinion. We went to PGH and they said the IV would be the best but it was not an emergency. They change my drugs and actually reduced the amount and it was healed within a week. The only problem I had was with the medicine. They gave me Amoxicillin which I have taken numerous times in the US however I had a allergic reaction to it here. The doctor said it might be something in the wrapper that caused the reaction.

I know most people live that way, and it really is
A personal choice. One surgeon told me a colleague of his warned a father of a child that needed surgery that nobody in the area could do the surgery except himself, then charged 500 percent more than normal.

Just the amount Sacred Heart Medical Center tried to overcharged me would pay for several years of blue cross coverage.

So, I actually added to my insurance after my experience....

It is always recommended that you need  to purchase the government health plan which is Philhealth. Philhealth does not have an Outpatient clinic, Priivate health insurance companies such as Goldmed health card,,maxi are are some of your option for private insurance companies.The Philhealth portion of the Bill only covers around 20 percent to 30 percent  of your total bill.The rest either must be covered with out of pocket or Your private insurance.Our Private hospitals or Physicians are one of the best in the world.If you have a private insurance card the hospital or clinic cannot overcharge you because it paid through a health card.No cash outlay. You have to understand that PHILIPPINES is a third world country, everything is about money when it comes to service either its small or large.You get a better service if the Hospitals or Physicians knows that you have the capability to pay.
Good Luck and Enjoy The Philipines

We were very happy with the quality, transparency and cost at St. Lukes Global City - a world class facility - where both of our children were born via c-section.  This is a private hospital.  I would trust that hospital for all but the most advanced surgery or treatment needs.  Service and care were top notch and it didn't feel like a hospital.  It was a great relief to live close by such a facility and know that I could afford care and would not be fighting over the bill.  The cost of those two procedures was less than one year of premiums for my family in the US.  They even post prices for common procedures up to and including heart surgery in the elevator.  The lab facilities and everything are right there in the building so the turnaround time is short.  In the US, in my experience almost everything is contracted out.  At St. Luke's if your physician is in the hospital (and plenty of good ones keep offices there) then when they order a test, you just walk over and get it done.  Super convenient.  It's like medical mall -- one stop shopping!   Pick a specialist, they are all right there.  You don't have to see a generalist first or get your insurance company's permission.

I have been a victim of medical billing fraud in the US where the systems and processes are atrocious, cost and billing is opaque and fraud is routine due to the insurance system. ($3600 out of pocket for 4 stitches!)  Probably lesser Philippines hospitals are less well run.  In the provinces, I would be very careful.  Supplies may be short and expertise lacking.  For something difficult like advanced cancer treatment or something, I would probably travel to the US.  If I were going to live far away from Manila, I would consider pre-paying or getting insurance for a helicopter ambulance ride to SLGC or the best facility reachable.  Obviously this may be out of budget for some.

As an employer in PH we pay Philhealth and add Valuecare for our staff.  There may be other insurance options.  I am looking into expat insurance such as cignaglobal and others for my own family when we return to PH.  Insurance seems almost unnecessary given the posted prices I've seen but still may be a good idea.

JMA3RD wrote:

8 years ago I had an infection on my foot, right between my two of my toes. It was bad enough that my whole foot was swollen and I could hardly walk. My sister-in-law suggested that I visit her doctor (can't recall his name). He told me that he actually studied medicine in the US. He said the infection was very severe and I needed to be admitted to the hospital so they could  give me antibiotics though an IV. I had just started a new job and explained that I could not miss work and if there was any other way. He gave me three different prescriptions and said to return in a week. After a week there was not much improvement and he informed that since I didn't follow his advice that now it had gotten so bad that he would have to admit me immediately and amputate one or two of my toes and part of my foot. Of course, I balked at that and decided to get a second opinion. We went to PGH and they said the IV would be the best but it was not an emergency. They change my drugs and actually reduced the amount and it was healed within a week. The only problem I had was with the medicine. They gave me Amoxicillin which I have taken numerous times in the US however I had a allergic reaction to it here. The doctor said it might be something in the wrapper that caused the reaction.

Just what I have said in the past...They will add to your suffering for the PESO...Thank GOD you were wise enough to go elsewhere or you may had lost your entire leg...

HeavenlyS wrote:

We were very happy with the quality, transparency and cost at St. Lukes Global City - a world class facility - where both of our children were born via c-section.  This is a private hospital.  I would trust that hospital for all but the most advanced surgery or treatment needs.  Service and care were top notch and it didn't feel like a hospital.  It was a great relief to live close by such a facility and know that I could afford care and would not be fighting over the bill.  The cost of those two procedures was less than one year of premiums for my family in the US.  They even post prices for common procedures up to and including heart surgery in the elevator.  The lab facilities and everything are right there in the building so the turnaround time is short.

I'm just curious...What were the reasons they gave you for warranting the C-Sections and what was the total costs for each and did you get a second opinion before submitting to them...

I agree with you on the fraud against insurance companies in the US but fraud on actual healthcare in the Philippines is far worse than any country I have ever visited and I have been to over 20...

Hi,

You can certainly be overcharged if you have  private  insurance.

If you run into greedy or dishonest service anywhere your going to have to fight it, having insurance makes it an easier fight.

If you have an HMO such as Caritas and need emergency surgery, the surgeons have agreed to bill based on a surgical schedule. This is assigned a .number, that is multiplied times another number based on the hospital room your in. For example 80 if ward, 100 if semi private and 120 if private. If the doctor writes a lot of fiction in the description of what he does he can turn a 8000 peso surgery into a 30,0000 peso surgery. The anesthesiologist gets paid based on that amount so his fee would then be 15000 (1/2). Your insurance covered amount can be far exceeded.

I know a lot more about this than I ever wanted to.

As far as the medical facilities here, there are some good ones and some bad ones same as anywhere. Ask people where live what the good and honest place are... So in an emergency you don't just end up at the nearest place.

Forget non private healthcare - my dog gets better care at his vet

Private care is extremely expensive - particularly here in Cebu - and the standards are poor.as are the facilities

The only thing that works is the billing system

Both my expat friends and I have experienced botched procedures which have required considerable and costly correction

If you feel ill jump on a airplane to Thailand or Malaysia where you will find good modern facilities available at much more reasonable cost

Insurance is a must but again expensive for expats - DO NOT GET SICK IN THE PHILIPPINES

petehuk wrote:

Forget non private healthcare - my dog gets better care at his vet

Private care is extremely expensive - particularly here in Cebu - and the standards are poor.as are the facilities

The only thing that works is the billing system

Both my expat friends and I have experienced botched procedures which have required considerable and costly correction

If you feel ill jump on a airplane to Thailand or Malaysia where you will find good modern facilities available at much more reasonable cost

WELL SAID AND GOOD ADVICE

Insurance is a must but again expensive for expats - DO NOT GET SICK IN THE PHILIPPINES

my only hospital stay in the philippines was for a hernia operation - i had a suite room for two days, a surgeon and another doctor for the anaesthetic, a successful operation and good care, for a total cost of around us$ 3,000 - i was able to walk without discomfort within days