Array of questions about cars/driving in Malta

A) I have a UK driving license. Once my car is over here, do I need to change my license to a Maltese one or anything or can I continue using my UK license?

B) Anyone had experience with an importer that they can recommend to me? I'm not looking for necessarily the cheapest, just the most reliable and least stressful (paperwork etc.).

C) Am I permitted to sell my car soon after importing it from UK? I think I may have read something about having to own it for 2 years in Malta before being allowed to sell it?

D) Anyone recommend a well-priced insurance company in Malta? Some that I've looked at don't seem to insurance under 25s :(

E) If I have my car imported over with belongings of mine in it would I have to pay any import tax on the items? The items are likely to be clothes, food, microwave, perhaps a few DVDs and other such items.

F) Who deals with all the taxes (registration, road, annual etc)? Who do I need to talk to about getting the car shipped over and where can I find them?

G) Am I exempt from paying the registration on my car? I have been living in Malta for 11 months and have owned the car back in the UK for over 2 years.

H) How much is annual car tax?

I) What about MOT, how does all that work?

A) I have a UK driving license. Once my car is over here, do I need to change my license to a Maltese one  - no

B) Anyone had experience with an importer that they can recommend to me? I'm not looking for necessarily the cheapest, just the most reliable and least stressful (paperwork etc.). - pass

C) Am I permitted to sell my car soon after importing it from UK? I think I may have read something about having to own it for 2 years in Malta before being allowed to sell it? - only if you pay the hefty registration tax, which you have to unless owned for 2 years anyway

D) Anyone recommend a well-priced insurance company in Malta? Some that I've looked at don't seem to insurance under 25s sad - rates are very similar from one company to the next

E) If I have my car imported over with belongings of mine in it would I have to pay any import tax on the items? The items are likely to be clothes, food, microwave, perhaps a few DVDs and other such items. - not if from another EU country

F) Who deals with all the taxes (registration, road, annual etc)? Who do I need to talk to about getting the car shipped over and where can I find them? - Transport Malta

G) Am I exempt from paying the registration on my car? I have been living in Malta for 11 months and have owned the car back in the UK for over 2 years. - so you are already resident - did you own the car for 2 years while resident in the UK ? If not, no exemption

H) How much is annual car tax? - depends on age, cc, emissions etc € 100 to € 1000 plus

I) What about MOT, how does all that work? - every 2 years, not as strict as UK, but getting stricter each year

Hi George,

you really answered most of the  questions !

Sounds as if it is not the best issue to import the car from the UK.

AS a matter of fact, just around the corner here in Nazzarene Street there is a UK registered car sitting for 5 months without being moved ! The owner trys to hide the plates with a motor bike but just recently TM was giving the car a closer look! Just a warning - maybe the owner reads the forum. I think the nice VW will be gone soon ....
The locals are not happy about the parking spot being occupied ....

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for your replies. That leads me to question J! J) How do I get the plates changed to Maltese ones? Cost? Is that generally part of the importers service?
x

"How do I get the plates changed to Maltese ones?" by paying the hefty registration fee

ricky wrote:

just recently TM was giving the car a closer look!

good - too many foreigners taking the pee, and giving the rest of us a bad name

George Answered most of the Questions but :-

B) Anyone had experience with an importer that they can recommend to me? I'm not looking for necessarily the cheapest, just the most reliable and least stressful (paperwork etc.). - keep hearing about uktomalta.com but never used them

D) Anyone recommend a well-priced insurance company in Malta? Some that I've looked at don't seem to insurance under 25s sad - I am with Elmo which seems fine, had an accident and they sorted it out very quickly with no hassles at all really and it was my fault.

F) Who deals with all the taxes (registration, road, annual etc)? Who do I need to talk to about getting the car shipped over and where can I find them? - Transport Malta Deal with the Registration Tax, Annual tax (This is road tax) after you have your insurance then the Insurance company usually gets your annual tax and you pay then

H) How much is annual car tax? - Let me know what the car make, model, age, mileage and i could try an give you an estimated figure

I have heard that UKtomalta would give you a price and would also get the plates, tax etc for you in the Price, but i would really speak to them first to confirm as this is just hearsay on my part.

Julian

I have a quote from Elmo of €300 (comp) which sounds reasonable to me. I'm thinking I'm going to looking into UKtoMalta more. The car I will be bringing over is a 3 door 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 1.2, 15000miles. Thanks!

Registration Tax - (Import tax) is going to be approx €1014.00
The number plate is about €35 for normal, €100 for Private
Registration of the Vehicle €15.00
Printing of Docs €10.00
Inspection of Vehicle €50.00

Also you will need a mileage verification from Jevic in the UK.  about £30 i think

Hope this helps

Julian