advice for people coming or relocating to Cape Verde

Hi Cherry,

Thank you for your response.

My husband (Cape Verdean) and I are planning on relocating to Cape Verde in august. Do you think I will have an issue as we intend to arrive together with a one way ticket.

Also our marriage was conducted in Nigeria and we plan on legalizing it once we arrive in Cape Verde. But we have all the supporting documents of the marriage.

As mentioned by Angelo Cape Verde will not allow foreigner in unless it's for tourist purposes… Do you think I will have any issues since I am married to a local?
- @msqi
Hi Msqi,

I had provided responses to some of your questions on a different thread. I have reinforced the answers below:

My husband (Cape Verdean) and I are planning on relocating to Cape Verde in august. Do you think I will have an issue as we intend to arrive together with a one way ticket.
Yes, you may have a big problem since you MUST have a return ticket. A few days before you travel to Cape Verde, you can rent the return portion from any of the Onward Ticket services. Just Google "Onward Ticket" and you will find the websites where you can buy the ticket for $15-20. Just do not arrive in CV without a return ticket. Your husband does not need a return ticket since he is Cape Verdean.

Also our marriage was conducted in Nigeria and we plan on legalizing it once we arrive in Cape Verde. But we have all the supporting documents of the marriage.
Do you have a marriage license that was issued in Nigeria? You will need to have it apostiled and you will need to have it translated to Portuguese and apostiled before you arrive in CV. When you arrive, your husband must state that you are his wife and that you will be staying with him during your visit. He will be required to show the Nigerian marriage certificate as proof.

As mentioned by Angelo Cape Verde will not allow foreigner in unless it's for tourist purposes… Do you think I will have any issues since I am married to a local?
It doesn't matter that you are married to a local. As a foreign, non-resident, you must comply with the immigration laws. I already explained all of this to you in a prior reply. Please review it.

I also wanted to clarify that I never said that Cape Verde will not allow a foreigner entry unless it is for tourism purposes. What I said was that no matter what is your purpose, Cape Verde will only issue a TOURISM VISA to everyone who enters the country. AFTER YOU ENTER, you can apply for a residency visa which reflects whatever is your actual purpose. Residency visas are not issued outside of the country! In your case, when you are entering the country, you should state that you are visiting the country with your husband with whom you are traveling.Then, he and you must present your Nigerian marriage license to prove that he is indeed your husband.

Finally, as I also mentioned in an earlier reply, a few dats before you travel to Cape Verde, you SHOULD pre-register with the CV immigration authorities on Cape Verde's [link under review]. It is highly recommended that everyone (except Cape Verde citizens) entering Cape Verde, pre-register on this CV immigration website as it will greatly reduce the bureaucracy and hassles that can sometimes be experienced at the airport if you arrive without having pre-registered. You will also be able to pay the airport tax upon in advance via this website.

Best regards,

Angelo