Getting married in Kenya

@SueDre

It is unsafe to post contact details on the open forum, especially for females.  Please use the message system for this.

INFO NEEDED : 2 FOREIGN NATIONALS

We are travelling to Nairobi from Saudi and would like to have a civil marriage service. We have the online information.

Two things we need to know.

1. Are we required to submit a 21 day notice? And if yes, do we need to be present or can we have someone local, do it for us?

2. Is it possible to complete all paper work with the registrar and get married, all on the same day?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you friend good advice           Gavin

<<Also, if you don't have a birth certificate, passport and bribe will suffice.>>

No it won't!  Please note that the current anti corruption drive by the Kenyan government means that  bribing an official would be a terrible idea and bad advice.  For foreigner/local marriages, these are being scrutinised to ensure that they are genuine - I understand that there will be some registration process. 

For those simply wanting to use Kenya as a wedding venue, the wedding will probably only proceed with presentation of the correct paperwork and actually it's been that way for some time.

Yes a lot of force is being put into this animal called corruption.Obtaing fake papers is only putting oneself into troubles plus the officials aiding this draconious acts.Be watchful and do what is required.

Hello,

I am a French girl getting married to a Kenyan local. My future husband has to give a certificate saying that he is not married. Can you please tell me how he can get this paper?
Thank you in advance

Hi Zohrasabrina,

He needs an affidavit from a lawyer stating his marital status, that is if he is single or a divorce decree absolute in case he is divorced.

Regards,
Naj

Hello

Thank you so much for your quick response. My future husband is now living in Dubai so he can't go to Kenya to see a lawyer. Do you know if the embassy of Kenya in Dubai is allowed to give the certificate of non impediment to marriage ?

Thank you

Can you please  explain a bit deeper? 
How whole process goes and the requirements when both parties are foreigners?

Hey  Thankyou for your informations. my feeyoncee and I are planing to get merried in Kenya this coming month and it would be great to know every info before we come there, the 21 waiting time is too much for us since we both cant have that much leave. So my question is, is it possible to minimize the waiting date by any way?? Please let us know if u have any info?
Thankyou!

I am wanting to marry a Kenyan woman and live in Nairobi Kenya.

I am a USA citizen and I would love to have some step by step information on what I need to do.

I know that I'll need a certificate of no impediment to marriage.....but articles I've seen say that they are only given to Kenyan citizens.

Can you help?

As a USA Citizen, your country doesn't issue certificates of no impediment, so you must obtain a sworn affidavit instead.

For living in Kenya, being married to a Kenyan doesn't give you an automatic right to live in the country.  If your prospective wife works and has a large enough income to support  you both (proof will be required), then you would be eligible for a Dependent Pass.  However, this permit, while allowing you to reside in Kenya, doesn't permit you to work.

If you want to work, you have to find a job and apply for a work permit (from your home country) and your marital status really doesn't count.  There are a number of work and other permits available, depending on your status etc.  Check the link below:

https://fns.immigration.go.ke/services.php

Thanks for sharing this information with me.  Since I originally posted this, I have learned that any work paid or unpaid requires a work permit.....and that's an extensive process.....what I'm curious about is what is an appropriate amount of money for my spouse to make to qualify for a dependent pass?

Thanks for your information and if you have knowledge about the amount my spouse needs to make to qualify for a dependents pass I would really appreciate it my friend 😎

Hello, I don't think that the government have put a figure on what your spouses' earnings should be, only that it's enough to support you both.

Regarding the work permit; you are correct and not only that, its increasingly difficult to obtain one.

The other route worth exploring is the Class K permit.  If you have an income of $24,000 minimum, derived from sources other than work in Kenya, you should be eligible to apply. 

After 3 years of marriage, you should be able to apply for permanent residency.

as of Feb 2023, Kenya does not accept certificate of no impediment from Australian foreign missions (i.e. embassies, consulates). It must be obtained in Australia.

@Morris19 hi

Hello saphinababra,

Is there any information that you would like to share about this topic?

Yoginee

Expat.com team