Retiring to Kenya from the EU

Is it possible to get a long term visa, work permit, residence permit for Kenya? Can I buy property there? What would a reasonable income be to retire / live in Nairobi? Thanks

Hi saw your post thought I should just encourage you to make the move  and you will not regret it..Karibu to the Hub of East Africa, the only capital city in the world with a national park right in the CBD!!!I could refer you to an immigration officer to assist you with the visa Q's...Investment wise Kenya is full of vast  opportunities in the agriculture ,hotel ,real estate and many more fields .Marinate on that..

Hello,

If you want to retire to Kenya, you cannot initially get a long term visa.  The closest thing they have to a retirement visa is a 'Class K Permit'.  For this you need a reliable source of income which is not derived from working in Kenya, so things like, pension, interest from investments, property rental and so on.  The government prefer it if your income is from outside Kenya as this contributes to the economy.  Your minimum income should be equivalent of $24,000 per year.

The Class K Permit is generally issued on a 2 yearly cycle at a cost of Ksh 100,000 per year, plus a Ksh 10,000 admin fee.

After 7 years you can apply for permanent residence, provided that the last three of those years you have resided in Kenya continuously.  However, if you are married to a Kenyan citizen, this drops to 3 years, providing the marriage is ongoing.

You would normally enter Kenya on a singe entry (visitors) visa, then make an application for the Class K Permit once in country.

Property;  foreigners can own property and residential land plots on a leasehold basis only (99 year lease).  You cannot own agricultural land.  You don't have to have any sort of residence permit to purchase property.

Nairobi is an expensive city.  I wouldn't necessarily stick doggedly to the concept of living there, without looking round at other areas.  The coast is a big draw for expats, for example.

Yes, It is possible, sir!

Hello Aosdan,
You also need to take into account taxes applicable in Kenya especially investment in residential and commercial property. All the best.

Fridah

You need to register with Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) and obtain a PIN to carry out transactions such as purchasing property and vehicles.  Tax returns should be filed annually, even if your income in Kenya is minimal.