Geting job offer in Nairobi

Hi

I m North Indian and I m getting an job offer in Nairobi Kenya. Can any body tell me how are the working and living enviournment in Kenya. what is the cost of living in Nairobi? As i m married so will it be safe to take my wife along with me? and my wife is also interested in doing job so will it be possible to get her a job there.
she has done Masters in Biotechnology and has teaching backround.My major concern is about safety of foreigner as it is heard that most of Eastafrican countreis are disturbed and foreigners are more often kidnaped for money.other few concerns are

1.availabilty of indian and pure vegetarian food.
2. transportation
3. expenditure on internet and telefone
4. accomdation at cheap rates
5. movies and other mode of entertainment

Can any body address my few above conerns. It will help me to take decision on the job offer

send me your mobile number, i wil cal you and let you know all in detail... i am from hyderabad, now in kenya form 11 months.

Hi suribhai, do not hesitate to share on the forum too.;)

Harmonie.

Ok once i finalise it i will give u my no...........

Living in Nairobi, Kenya

Currency is Kenyan Shillings (Kshs) and today's rate are about
1 USD = 83 Kshs today

> accommodation prices
You can get all range of accomodation, depends you stay alone or share with someone. for sharing may be 30,000 in a good apartment and 20-150K to live alone. Depends on place and type of house.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
Here you can get all kinds of vegetables, so do not worry about it, if you are cooking by yourself, then may be you save lot of money.

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

Electricity - about 4 to 7000 Kshs

Internet - Per month internet from 1500-3000, if you take zuku, then you get dstv and internet for 4000,
To call india, 2.5 -3 Ksh per min.
Mobile phone/Telephone - mobile phone 2-3 ksh for local call per min.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
There are many indian restaurants and you would love them. Price will be little expensive so better go for self cooking.

> price of the cinema
Cinema - 400 for normal to 450 for 3D Kshs per seat

Thanks suribhai for ur information............if anything positive happens.............i definitly get back to u.

Where did you hear the most East African countries are disturbed and foreigners are often kidnapped for money??  Kenya is a pretty peaceful and stable country, but like many countries there can be social unrest here and there, from time to time.  There is a heightened terrorist threat, at the moment, due to the Kenyan military being in action against Al Shabaab, in Somalia - I think that you would be extremely unlucky to be caught up in an incident and the majority of people are going about their usual business.  Security has been stepped up at shopping malls, hotels etc, which is reassuring.  Kidnapping is highly unlikely; there was a recent incident at the coast, near the Somali Border, but one incident hardly consitutes a heightened risk, especially in Nairobi. 

With regard to accommodation, I would have thought that Kes 20 000 per month is really too low for a decent area.  When I was renting in Lavington and Westlands, we paid Kes 55 000 and 60 000 respectively, for a 3 bed house (Lavington) and a 4 bed apartment (Westlands) - that was in 2008 and prices are closer to 100 000 now.

There is a large Indian community in Kenya, so getting the food you need will be very easy.

Longonot62, may be he got the news from some locals who has never been to a foreign country and dont have any work rather than talking bullshit. That news might be lod one, where some foreigners were kidnapped in sudan and somalia.

BTW Mr vishalrana, you are not the only foreigner working in kenya, there are millions of foreigners, and for your information there are nearly 4 million indians in kenya. So its up to you to decide. even for me before coming here some stupid people tried to stop me by fake news, but stil i came here and experienced so many good things. Sometimes shit happens, but can you guarantee you would be safe enough in your home in india for ever?????

Kenya has a very large thriving Indian community in Westlands, Pangani, etc. You will be at home as soon as you land there. Common sense approach to safety in the city is all you need. Google Indian community in Kenya and they will hook you up quite easily. Good luck!

Well, kenya is a beautiful country with nice, warm people. the cost of living is moderate though that will also depend on your spending rate. if you know how and where to buy stuff, that should be able to reduce your spending greatly. feel free to get in touch with me incase u may need to be shown around some of the most affordable shopping sites when you are in nairobi. regards and welcome to kenya.