Moving to Ngong, Nairobi

I have been in Kenya for nearly four years, living in Nakuru and traveling a bit.  I am married to a Kenyan woman, a Kikuyu.  We are about to move to Ngong, Nairobi.  How is the walking in the neighborhood with respect to safety.  In particular, the area that is north of Ngong town (on the opposite side of Ngong town from Ngong Hills), walking to east from there.  Thanks for any information.  David

Morning
First of all, I would like to welcome you to Ngong. I am a resident of Ngong and I would say that it is a safe place for walking.

Good to hear and thanks for your reply.

When we lived in Nairobi, Ngong used to have a real security problem, with plenty of high profile robberies.  People with money had moved out there, as it was cheaper to buy and build, then the same people would be robbed - often at their gates.   Personally, I'd choose Karen.

Perhaps things are better now.

Walking on the Ngong Hills without a guide to provide security was an invitation to be mugged - certainly fairly recent traveller reviews suggest that going in a group, with security is still highly recommended.

From what I have been told a guide is required for walking in Ngong Hills.  Thanks for your reply, Longonot62; I'm getting mixed reviews on safety in Ngong (I am asking in places other than here as well).

More information is still sought, so anyone reading this, especially foreigners or wives of foreigners who walk a lot, I am happy to hear from.

I am from Ngong, I live there and a Kikuyu, I wouldn't recomend you to settle there due to security issues, especially you being white. Its ok for a middle class and native/kikuyu settle for Karen. As for walking to ngong hills must have a guide.

Welcome to the city under the sun.

Hi and thanks for the email.  So far, however, all is well.  Been here two and a half weeks, go for long walks (over an hour) every day, have had zero problems on the walks or at any other time.  Time will tell, but so far I have an excellent impression of the place.  But it's not so sunny.

Ok great. Its rainy season am in Australia though but i understand its cats and dogs sometimes. Left just a few weeks for holiday. Welcome to ngong.

Thanks for the welcome.  How long have you lived in Ngong?

I have lived in ngong since September 2014.

And why do you say there are security issues?  What have you seen or heard about?

People have been killed at there gates, 2 incidences, we have cctv in our apartment and G4s security, our flat had tenant complain of theft through the behind window cutting and landlord who is our immediate neighbour keeps us on alert. Some few killings but what i dont know is if people had been killed for other deals or security reasons.

Ngong hills we have resqued a lady who was mugged and all her elctronics taken, ipad, phone etc , we happened to be taking a walk at ngong hills too, that was april 2017.

However, i know ngong as a notorious environment, landlords set up tenants to the thieves who are in most cases their children, but it all depends very common though.

I live in vet on your way to Karen, the Matasia area was a no go zone but for sometime it has improved.

My fiancee is also white and if you can live there then we shall do the same too.

All the best
Rachel

Matasia is between Karen and Ngong?  Where is Vet?  Is that the full name of the neighborhood?  When you write "our flat had tenant complain of theft" you mean someone in the same building as you?

Matasia is between ngong and kiserian, veterinary/juanco is between ngong and karen. Same apartment.

Unfortunately Mrenglish, Ngong area is quite well known for poor security. 

Two weeks is no time at all for those who may not wish you well to observe and get to know your routines.  Particularly when out walking; don't go at the same time of day and vary the route, otherwise you might find someone lying in wait for you!

Foreigners stand out and are universally assumed to be rich - irrespective of whether they actually are.  Be careful!!

Hi. I'm also considering the Ngong area. Curious to know how @mrenglish has found the area now that it's been 2 years