List of Prohibited Jobs for westerners in Thailand

R_Mortisse wrote:

Well, I guess I can now mark Thailand off my Expat 'bucket list'. Thanks for all tge info. Better to find out these things BEFORE I invested too much time and money into considering it. (If I wanted to live someplace  where I wasn't skilled enough to be allowed to work, I could just stay in the USA. *SIGH*)

R_Mortisse, do not mark Thailand "off" your bucket list. Thailand is still the overall best  SE Asian expat location available, and the best "Bang-for-the-buck". Thailand, is also considerably more "street-safe", with more easy to meet "eye-candy", than any location, both in the US of A., or SE Asia. :top:

Despite my previous post #196, there are several Bangkok regional International Schools  employing black school teachers, but only because those teachers have broader-based, Master's level (Math & Science) teaching-qualifications that supercede their white-constituents, by a huge margin, indeed. :whistle: 

FYI ~ Asians, in general, are a Negro_Phobic mentality of people, to begin with, even among "themselves". However, Thais (in general), absolutely will not "mistreat" a black person, just because they're black. Now, Malaysia/Singapore, on the other-hand, are totally different cups of tea (in that regard), and, topics of discussion, as well. :cool:

Now, going off-topic a bit , fyi ~the given "white skin-color" preference among Asians, is further exacerbated by the fact that many "white" male expats (Americans and British, in particular) tend to carry their home-grown racial "bigotry-baggage", together with "themselves", everywhere they go. Thus, their penchant for bad-mouthing "the blacks", as a problable means of ingratiating "themselves" among the Asian locals, is a normal, rather than occasional occurrence.

I hope this tid-bit provides you with some clarity, regarding the realities of expat life, in SE Asia. :cheers:

bill kip wrote:

Like anything, the winds of time tell all, or nothing. Last year immigration changed the law limiting the number of border crossings for visa's. The next thing you know Bangkok has a shortage of English teachers because those teachers can't come back across the border. I personally don't know what the status of that is right now.

One idea could be to look into getting your TEFL certification in Thailand and using that time to research the subject of teaching. You could also interview at schools within your target area. I think, not sure, but you might be able to get an education visa to get your TEFL certificate. By the way a BA or BS would carry some weight with your application.

One thing that is often confusing is that there are two "permits" for a teacher of English (please correct me if I'm wrong): a work permit and a teaching permit.
A "volunteer" (and anyone else doing legally permitted work) needs a work permit but not a teaching permit; there is no bachelor's degree required for this. A slightly under-qualified teacher may get a foot in the door by going in as some sort of assistant teacher.
Thais seem to have a talent for working around regulations.

In the point that I was bringing up one would get an educational permit. I specifically do not know if that applies to satisfying the TEFL course work. I vaguely remember someone doing that.

As I said a college diploma would be a plus on the application, but It's not necessarily a requirement. I do know that a work permit is required for teaching. My neighbor is a teacher.

By the way I do remember listening to one young man speaking about him teaching. Teaching in itself can be absolutely wonderful. Teaching in some schools, world wide, can be a significant "challenge". He also said that his salary was 20 k baht a month.

I'm going by what I read here:
http://www.bangkok-thailand-site.com/th … ermit.html
The exception to this is for English teachers' who cannot make a work permit application without first obtaining a teacher's license. However, once the teacher's license has been issued, it is usually a formality to be granted the work permit, as in principle the teacher's details have already been checked by the Education department.

bill kip wrote:

In the point that I was bringing up one would get an educational permit. I specifically do not know if that applies to satisfying the TEFL course work. I vaguely remember someone doing that.

As I said a college diploma would be a plus on the application, but It's not necessarily a requirement. I do know that a work permit is required for teaching. My neighbor is a teacher.

By the way I do remember listening to one young man speaking about him teaching. Teaching in itself can be absolutely wonderful. Teaching in some schools, world wide, can be a significant "challenge". He also said that his salary was 20 k baht a month.

FYI ~ Update: A foreign Teacher, these days in the LoS, absolutely must possess  "verifiable" degree credentials, together with the Thai Teacher's License, to qualify for a Thai work permit, anymore.

Btw, your neighbor must either be a Filipino, or you folks are living far out in the Thai boondocks, with a teacher's salary of only 20k-baht/mo. :cool:

No, he was neither Filipino nor in the boon docks. He was a Farang in Chiang Mai, actually two different guys. Neither one was overly happy with the salary but neither one worked at one of the high class schools, or so it seems.

Who verifies the verifiable teaching credentials? More then once I know of a situation in which the verification was verbal without documentation. Then again that wasn't necessarily an unscaled operation.

bill kip wrote:

No, he was neither Filipino nor in the boon docks. He was a Farang in Chiang Mai, actually two different guys. Neither one was overly happy with the salary but neither one worked at one of the high class schools, or so it seems.

Who verifies the verifiable teaching credentials? More then once I know of a situation in which the verification was verbal without documentation. Then again that wasn't necessarily an unscaled operation.

The Thai MOE finally has a credentials verifications department that is most thorough, in that endeavor, from what I've been recently told. Apparently, the Khaosan Road "degree-purchasing" days are now history. Hallelujah!  :thanks:

Two weeks ago I was speaking with a Farang who was applying for something. Initially he was told that he could not do such and such. He then found someone, in the same government building, who told him that if he paid 500 baht he could provide the documentation. he then paid the 500 baht and was then given the documentation.,

I have a Thai lady friend who tells me how well the military has cleaned up the corruption with government offices. I would like to whole heartily believe that she is right. But time and again I see and hear "exceptions" to that rule. I know of a meeting with the Chiang Mai Director of Immigration. He said that it is very hard to change a culture of corruption.

I dealt with a woman at immigration that told me that I had a TM 30 violation. I presented legal documentation to demonstrate that there was no violation. She refused to accept the legal documentation. Last January I went to the local police department to report an accident in which I was the victim. After filing the police report the officer required that a pay a fee for the report and then put the money into his pocket.

I also hear how there are Thai's, of a certain nature, whose intent it is to "short change" the Farang. In one respect the due process for Farangs is a long and costly process. In another respect Farangs are not citizens and are not afforded the same legal protection or rights of a Thai. That being the case then Farangs have to live with that - and lived with guarded caution  in Thailand. Farangs are foreigners and can be expelled or treated like any foreigner in the world.

In the mean time Thailand is a pleasant place to live, even if there are conditions that are uncomfortable or not like your home country. Farangs live here and have to adjust to the Thai way - or leave.

bill kip wrote:

I know of a meeting with the Chiang Mai Director of Immigration. He said that it is very hard to change a culture of corruption.

Reads, reminiscently, of the globally well-known (from sea, to shining sea) governmental "culture of corruption", located on the northeastern side of the Pacific Ocean.

The old adage "Adopting the constipated language of the (squeaky-clean) pretense, serves only  to ease one's participation in it".

Thus, Thailand ranks very low, on the (world-wide) 1-10 (comparison) scale of the world's most culturally "corrupt" governmental systems,....eh?

And, anyone who complains about corruption levels in Thailand, certainly hasn't done much traveling, during their lifetimes. :cool:

Corruption is corruption when you are the object of corruption.

bill kip wrote:

Corruption is corruption when you are the object of corruption.

Bill, realistically speaking, even multi-billionaire Bill Gates became a victimized object of governmental corruption. It's totally un-avoidable, in some way, shape or form, regardless of where you are located. People have actually committed suicide, as a result of that given "fact of life" revelation.  Enjoy the following:   https://youtu.be/RCQzR5yzZCU:cheers:

I think the question (as far as this thread is concerned) is not about corruption, but about Thai regulations versus whether and how they are applied.

What I am getting is: this isn't the west, where everyone dutifully stops at a red light.  :D

hi. i'm graduating from university this year with a 2.1 Bsc Ecological and Environmental Science with Management degree. I'm wondering what my chances are of landing any job in Thailand?

I want to become a sponsored fighter in Thailand. I have enough money to last me realistically about 6 months. is it possible to find a job in Thailand in six month? a job that would fit around my training schedule? (2 hours 8-10am, then 2 hours again at around 4-6pm)

If a Thai can be employed to do the same job.  No work visa.  Sorry try something else.

TobyThai wrote:

hi. i'm graduating from university this year with a 2.1 Bsc Ecological and Environmental Science with Management degree. I'm wondering what my chances are of landing any job in Thailand?

There are a number of environmental concerns where you could - at the very least - volunteer, if not find gainful employment. I know of one American woman who was working on the website for Elephant Nature Park. It's not impossible, but it may look like that from a distance.

Some people say I know nothing?

Damnit ! So what's left ? Lol  I dreamedof being a tour guide !

Hi B3B3GIM

When I was in Thailand, I saw a few Farang tour guides, I don't know how they got the job, but I do not think its impossible. Keep looking. There are always a way in Thailand! :)

LuisF wrote:

Thanks Armand!

So, I have two professions. I am a Cybersecurity consultant and I have my own film production company.

I saw on the website that you can apply for a visa to film in Thailand, but there wasn't much detail. I think it was for coming in to make a film. It appears that either one would be allowed?

Anton&Jacky wrote:

Hi B3B3GIM

When I was in Thailand, I saw a few Farang tour guides, I don't know how they got the job, but I do not think its impossible. Keep looking. There are always a way in Thailand! :)

these "tour Guides" are translators in disguise but many get busted and the tour companies are taken down as well

how long do you want the visa for?

a non B visa for work is complicated to get

a short stay visa for work will need to be applied for in your own country at the Thai Embassy or Consulate

it would be very difficult to arrive here on a tourist visa and then convert that to a work visa

Right now I'm applying for a 90 day multiple entry visa.

I didn't see a short stay work visa listed as an option on the website. Although, I'm not sure I was at the correct embassy website.

Thanks.

Hi Guys.  I would like to retire in Thailand as I go and travel South Asia every year and can't get enough..

I might have to wait until I am fifty to get a retirement visa..  My question is If I was to buy a condo and I was to rent it out in the high season, is that something that I could declare and do legally?

Hi....I do Props In Vancouver.  Mostly commercials.. Do you need any help with the project?

Most people dont declare 1 condo. Thats not to say its legal. Recently the Immigration Department is asking for a tm30 or a tm28 to be filled out and recorded on database.  This form shows where the renter is staying and who owns the condo. That means they know rent is involved or not. As they say its up to you.

Very helpful - thank you!!

the new rules for May 2018 are that you can own and rent out up to 5 condos with no issues about tax etc. How long this will last is anyones guess.

If you own 5 or more condos then you will need to adhere to the following rules.

I  a

LuisF wrote:

For all those who are keen on working in Thailand, be aware that there is a list of jobs were, you, as a westerner will not be able to get a work permit. The List is taken from The Thai Labor Department Website -http://www.mol.go.th/-

1.- Labour work except labour work in fishing boats under the next category below. The said work which is forbidden to aliens shall not apply to aliens who have entered into Thailand under an agreement on hire of labour concluded between the Government of Thailand and other nations, and also aliens whose status has been prescribed as legal immigrant and who possess a residence certificate under the law governing immigration.

2.- Agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery, except work requiring specialized knowledge, farm supervision, or labour work in fishing boats, particularly marine fishery.

3.- Bricklaying, carpentry, or other construction work.

4.- Wood carving.

5.- Driving motor vehicles or vehicles which do not use machinery or mechanical devices, except piloting aircraft internationally.

6.- Front shop sales and auction sale work.

7.-Supervising, auditing, or giving service in accountancy, except occasional internal auditing.

8.-Cutting or polishing precious or semi-precious stones.

9.- Haircutting, hairdressing, or beautification.

10.- Cloth weaving by hand.

11.- Mat weaving or making utensils from reed, rattan, jute, hay, or bamboo.

12.- Making rice paper by hand.

13.- Lacquer work.

14.- Making Thai musical instruments.

15.- Niello work.

16.- Goldsmith, silversmith, or gold/copper alloy smith work.
Stone work.

17.- Making Thai dolls.

18.- Making mattresses or quilts.

19.- Making alms bowls.

20.- Making silk products by hand.

21.- Making Buddha images.

22.- Knife making.

23.- Making paper or cloth umbrellas.

24.- Making shoes.

25.- Making hats.

26.- Brokerage or agency except in international trading.

27.- Professional civil engineering concerning design and calculation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, or consulting services, excluding work requiring specialized techniques.

28.- Professional architectural work concerning design,  drawing/making, cost estimation, or consulting services.

29.- Dressmaking.

30.- Pottery.

31.- Cigarette rolling by hand.

32.- Tour guiding or conducting.

33.- Hawking of goods & Thai typesetting by hand.

34.- Unwinding and twisting silk by hand.

35.- Clerical or secretarial work.

36.- Providing legal services or engaging in legal work, except arbitration work; and work relating to defense of cases at arbitration level, provided the law governing the dispute under consideration by the arbitrators is not Thai law, or it is a case where there is no need to apply for the enforcement of such arbitration award in Thailand.

I was of the understanding that, unless it is somehow included in 6, an alien cannot own or run a motorcycle shop. I recall the regulations being quoted by the Police when they raided a motorcycle shop in Pattaya last year. It was owned by a European guy and the Police knew that. I have not seen him near the shop since that date. The shop still operates.

So what are you trying to say. I've seen the same thing in Chiang Mai (without the police raid), and the shop still operates.

There are a number of possibilities. The business is in the Thai wife's name, a Thai company name, brown paper bags, lazy people who will not or don't know how to do the job they are paid to do. The example I quoted actually happened and the farang owner has never been seen by me onsite since. The "jaws" of the section may be very wide, the quote in the forum may be inaccurate or incomplete. What I posted is a "fact" and was posted on thaivisa.com. The shop is not a name brand dealership but rather a shop that opens 24 hours a day and specializes in after market accessories and custom bikes. He exibits his bikes at local shows and has a number of awards. Maybe he forgot to pay one of his major overheads. MaiTai is the name and it is in Soi Baukhao Pattaya.

Nice of you to bring this to our attention but what is your point. This just seems like the classic cat and mouse game that is endlessly played in Thailand, perhaps more so in Pattaya.

You must fufill education requirements then pass medical exam in written and speaking Thai.

Thank you for the info.

Hi I know this is any old post, but just curious, what about creating fashion and jewelry to sell online?  I would not need a store front and would not sell anything in Thailand but only online.  I saw Auction Sales but it's right next to Store Front so I'm not sure if this apply's to what I want to do

Just curious.

Thanks Sondra

There is a classified section found under 'handy tools' at the top of this page

Thailand's Laws are basic and not written for the internet era. As far as Thais are concerned work is work. So if you lift a finger then it's work. Look at consulting ie it's basically thinking and talking. But in Thailand it is work and all the rules apply.

Thailand's Laws are basic and not written for the internet era, you say? Fyi ~ please don't bank on that misguided notion.

Tell us all more please.

blackjack2010 wrote:

Tell us all more please.

Wisdom dictates to the contrary :whistle:. Sorry about that!

Misguided notion?
This forum is about work related topics and how to work in Thailand legally and prohibited work. Thailand laws still require work permits for foreigners and in most cases 4 Thais workers. Plus social security payments all connected with Immigration, labour, tax, Business Development  dept.