Mechanical Engineer in Brisbane

Hi everyone!

I already posted a topic regarding finding a job in Australia, I am Eduardo from Mexico, and I am thinking about going abroad to Australia with my family (my wife and my little boy) but taking this decision is being really tough, since you have to leave all behind, but anyways, I would like to know someone from southamerica or Mexico who is already living in Australia (Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne) because I would like you guys to tell me how much difficul is finding a job as a mechanical engineer, with 4 years of experience on manufacturing area (supervisor, process engineer, improvements engineer), do mining companies hire people with experience in manufacturing but mining?, is it easy to get a job if you speak fluent english (if you have your IELTS over 7), if any of you people have experiences, stories or whatever that can help me to find out wether I should go or not, please let me know those experiences. HELP ME!!!!

Hi jego81,

It looks like you are thinking about moving to Australia. I wanted to let you know that the skilled migration program is changing this coming July 2012.  Check the following website: 

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

This will be a new process in that you have to submit your expression of interest for a particular visa. You can only apply if you receive an invitation. Australia is starting to control the immigration population to the skills demand.

At this time, if you meet the points requirements and your skills are assessed to be recognized in Australia, you can apply for the visa 175 (Skilled Independent). But starting July 2012, you can only apply by invitation.

In regards to your question. It is a very difficult decision to make. People can say go for it. But you must be the one to make this big decision. Important things to check out is cost of living in Australia and what type of salary you will need to make in order to provide for your family. If you haven't done the research, Australia has is one of the countries that does have a high cost of living. Not to really to distract you. But to prepare you of what to expect. Even by chance you are offered a job for a specific salary and that salary is higher than what you normally make now, you have to make enough to survive living in Australia.

So there are a number of things to think about before making that move.  However, many new migrants in the world have done this. Difficult years in the beginning for some. But after working hard, etc. some families have been able to have a better life for themselves. I can't say it's true for everyone. It's all a risk.

Hi Jego, As JB stated above, the cost of living in Australia is very important to consider.  Australia is more expensive than living in Mexico or the USA. And while everything does cost more in Australia, the COST of HOUSING will take up a disproportionately large amount of your budget, as housing throughout much of Australia is the among the most expensive on earth (or maybe the most expensive).  The purchase price of a home can be $400,000 - $500,000 for something quite ordinary and apartment rent can be $400 or more per week.  If you plan to live in a rural area, this can be cheaper, however.  I hope this helps you a bit.

Thanks a lot for your answers joerobson and jb09, I can realize that life is really expensive in there and that is what really make nervous, anyways I would like to ask you guys regarding the jobs, how difficult is to get a job there? I mean for foreigners, Are you guys already there? are you from Australia? I mean I would like to know your experiences about living in there, What makes me more nervous is job, That is why I would like you to share with me about how difficult is to get a job as a skilled person?

Thanks for your answer.

I have not yet made the move to Australia even though I had been granted a permanent resident visa 175. The main reason is because I still have financial commitments here in US. I did speak to two different HR reps in Sydney and Melbourne regarding obtaining jobs. They emphasized that it is best that I already move to Australia when applying for positions. But that is my main concern in quitting my job in the US before I make a move to Australia and not sure about the job market. I haven't been actively seeking a job yet.

If you are granted a Permanent Resident Visa, this is valid for 5 years. You need to make an entry in Australia to validate your visa at a certain date. After that, you don't necessarily need to move right away. You have to fulfill at least 2 years residency out of the 5 years to be able to renew your visa. This visa will allow you to have indefinite entries in out of Australia as long as this visa is valid. You can also work at any job .. not even related to your occupation if it's taking longer to get one in your profession.

You can do several things in trying to pursue a job in Australia before you know if you are approved a visa or even after. Apply for positions that you could be qualified to do online. If you are approved and need to enter the country to validate your visa, you can do some interviews while you are there. Or find at a later time that you move to Australia for a specific time in trying to get a job on your own while leaving your family behind. Once you can find that job to be able to support your family, you can bring them over. This is a suggestion that some people have followed in order to minimize the cost of living in Australia when a job has not yet been secured.

All of these are suggestions and not a guarantee. However, there are stories that it does work out for people. 

While you are thinking about this, you sort of need to make a decision soon if you would like to apply for the visa. Check out the visa fees,etc. According to the website, the current processing of visa 175 can take up to 18 months or longer to processed and a decision to be made. 

If you wait too long, the SkillSet Migration program will be implemented starting July 2012. Many people are saying this is going to slow down the skilled migration into Australia since they will have better control of what skills are in demand with invitations to potential applications. Rather than getting a bunch of applicants coming in and for them to make a decision if the candidate fulfills the requirements. In addition, the previous applicants that came in before July 2012 will still need to be processed.

I don't think you can really compare your success or failure in finding a job to another person's experience. Just because it mainly could be on a person's work experience, companies they have worked for, education, training,etc.  How you interact and are able to answer the interview questions and if the people interviewing you will see how you fit with their company. So many different reasons.

I guess my suggestion is for you to apply if it's affordable for you to pay for the visa fees. Although I realize the visa 175 is a high fee. But it will offer permanent resident visa status. Just start worrying about finding a job when you are granted this visa. But if you don't apply, then there is no need to worry about finding a job.

Or you can wait and apply for your Expression of Interest with the SkillSet Migration program in July 2012. You will get an invitation to apply for the visa. Or if a company is interested in you, they can request to sponsor you. But the only bad thing is, you don't know if and when you will be invited since there likely will be so many skilled people like yourself competing. Different scenario with sending your application that you send now. You will be evaluated with the information you submit.

Check out the common online job websites : seek.com.au  mycareer.com.au    expatengineer.net

Your first step is to first have your skills assessed by Engineers Australia to know if your skills are recognized in Australia.

Hi Jego, The only thing I think I can add to what JB said is that minimum wage is $15.50/hour and the full-time work week is 38 hours.  If you could not get a job as a mechanical engineer, but you could find a job working at minimum wage full-time at 38 hours per week, that would leave you with roughly $500.00 per week after taxes. If your rent is $350 per week, that would leave you with $150 per week to pay your bills, feed 3 people, buy fuel or bus fare, clothes and whatever else.  That is only a worse case scenario, but I think it is important to think about those things.  Maybe your wife could work as well, if it is allowed under the conditions of whatever visa you plan on getting?

I think Australia is a really great place to live, but there is a serious problem with housing affordability at the moment.  But if you can get a job in your field I read it can pay as much as $200,000 per year and you would have no problems affording a decent lifestyle.  But if you are offered a $60,000 salary as a mechanical engineer, your life in Australia would be much more of a struggle.  But if you have large savings to bring with you, that would, however, make things easier if you were paid a lower wage.

You really need to apply for a visa and have it granted to you before you can consider working here.  So I wish you good luck with that process-- Good luck!