Watch What You Eat & Your Pockets

Hi Gang,

Chuc Mung Nam Moi to all. 

On the 1st day of the new year, by tradition, I was going to stay at home.  But, one of my local friends had issues with her husband and dragged me out to one of a few restaurants that were opened in Can Tho for some chats.  It was one of the better restaurant in town.  But, being one of only a handful that were opened, the place was packed and the services were poor.  We had a mixture of that traditional Vietnamese new year hams and a few beers.  But, I came home with a serious case of food poisoning.

Also, yesterday, one of my other local friends contacted me about retrieving a wallet that had been pick-pocketed at a nearby temple.  As good as some of the people I knew in town, I was told that such was a mission impossible.  According to one of the people I talked to, this is high pick-pocket season.  Crooks from every nook and cranny are out in force.

So, if you have to eat out, please watch what you eat really well because restaurants are very busy.  They are ways under-staffed; dishes tend to turn out under-prepared.  And, as you join in the wonderful new year festivities, please keep a good eye on your wallets or purses. Crooks are out for you. 

Other than that, I wish all of you a year of great health and happiness.

Howie

Others helping themselves to your stuff

On the evening of the fireworks displays in HCMC, Ha Noi had their's a day later for some reason, I was walking in Q1 and I saw a motorcyclist following a pair of Foreigner pedestrians, a few metres behind.

Not thinking too much of it, I went into a store and made some purchases.

When I came out the couple were further down the street and the motorcyclist had stopped and had his arm around the man.

From the drivers prior behaviour it was obvious he didn't know the couple, and furthermore, Vietnamese are not usually tactile (touchy feely) with strangers.

As I got closer, I made a mental note of the motorcycle's plate number, an irritating habit I was taught in the military (if you want another, check cloud scenes in movies - to see they weren't made at the same time!).

A few minutes later a very agitated couple was running down the street.

It turns out our motorcycle friend had run over the male's sandalled foot and was apologising, with his arm over his shoulder commiserating with the victim and his hand in the man's pocket stealing his wallet!

I took them to the notorious Ben Nghe ward Cong An station and the man made a report with the help of a waiter from a nearby hotel.

I supplied a partial plate number.

And the Ben Nhge Cong An said they would investigate, but they needed money to pay the detective!!

Long story short: the Cong An received a phone call from a senior colonel in the Interior Police, the missing wallet and money were returned to the unhappy Finlander and a pickpocket celebrated Tet in jail, in Q10.

The moral of the story is that if anyone runs over your foot ...

Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới!

Haha Jaitch good story. I love happy endings.

Wow it's nice to know that there is a police force in Vietnam! I still haven't seen a Policeman/Policewoman!

Thanks for the advice Howie, I spent my TET celebration on a sleeper bus and wasn't gassed like some of the stories I've read in books so I had a successful one!