Ladies Hairstylist / beauty salon

Howdy all,

Was wondering if anyone could recommend (i.e., they've been there so know for DEFINITE) a really good ladies hairstylist in Tripoli??  Would need to be english speaking as I don't fancy coming out with a crew cut due to errors in translation!?!

Not bothered about the cost, the quality of the cut is WAAAY more important.

If you can help, please let me know.

T :)

Oh yeah, i've been given a number for someone called Sheila (apparently from the US) but have had no joy getting hold of her..

got this tip via a listserve called Americans in Libya.  Just in case you have the wrong phone number. ALso, she may be in US for the summer.  I know I plan to be back for at least a month each year:

Hi,

Sheila cuts and styles both men and women's hair by appointment only. She also does manicures, pedicures, eyelash tints, waxing, perms, color and straightening. She's American and speaks, English, Spanish and Arabic. She's located in the center of Tripoli. She's out of town at the moment but is expected back in the next week or so. Her number is 021 444 2685. I highly recommend her. She's been working as a stylist for years and returns to the US annually, working in one of the top salons in Sante Fe while she is there - so she is up to date on the latest cuts and styles.

yeah i'm a member of the Yahoo group Americans in Libya.. its where I got the number from originally :(  But thank you for trying :)  Hopefully, wherever she is she'll reappear soon and i'll be saved from having hair like a scarecrow :D

I'm less concerned about the haircut than I am my hair color.

I know these were posted months ago but I'm new to this site and browsing through.

I know that a stylist will be moving from the US to Tripoli in a few weeks, near the end of January.  She will not be working in Tripoli but is interested in doing hair if she knows people interested.  I know this because she is my wife.

I don't know about the availability of hair color in Tripoli but she does great work, and could even bring supplies to last a while if needed, and if people are interested.

justice4pal wrote:

I'm less concerned about the haircut than I am my hair color.

I'm moving to Benghazi in 3 weeks and am curious about hair colour (amongst other things!). Are home kits easy to get hold of, does anyone know? Or shall I bring a suitcase of dye?!

Hair color home kits are abundant here as toilettries are massively imported from europe - from garnier, loreal to revlon. Same goes for toilettries like bath soap, shampoo,etc. Save your luggage space and buy them here.

Epilators - I bought my first electrical braun epilator here in Tripoli. I think nearly everyone has one here. Even selling it on the streets of Old Town..haha.. It seems even in the most suburban places here you always can find some kind of epilator.

On hair cut, never been experimented by local stylist. Not that brave. Cut your hair now and be patient before getting your next one on your next trip home.

One tip, get loads of shoes from where you are from. Lady shoes here are mostly imported from China and looks wayy outdated. Unless, you are willing to spend more, on good and expensive but average looking ones.

BoBips - maybe she should open a spa here while she is at it. I think Tripoli needs one direly. Hoping to get a facial, hair mask, body scrub massage here without the hammam sauna type massage here. Cant believe one does not exist.

Thanks Rocko. It sounds silly but that information has made me feel a whole lot better about things. It's amazing how such little things matter in terms of feeling 'at home'.