Phone Rates

Am sold on everything about Belize...except phone rates.  I run a small business from home here in San Diego.  I would be making a great deal of calls to he U.S., but the phone rates from Belize to the U.S. are prohibitive.  Lowest I can find is 21 cents a minute, which won't work.

Has anybody found a good phone service for less?

here is a possibility. actvate a "majic jack" with a san diego phone number. making calls anywhere in the us or canada are free.
i don't know if belize gov. will block voip or not. maybe someone in belize can confirm?

Wow, there\'s lots of options. Vonage offers free international calling, so just transfer your number to their service and use that for your u.s. business still. Or if Skype/VOIP is an option, while BTl (government owned) still blocks VOIP, satellite does not, so you could get a satellite dish; or the local cable company in Placencia (Corozal too, I think) offers interent service and doesn\'t block VOIP either, but their rates, just like BTL, are a bit pricey.

Also, you can always dial 1010199 before the area code and number whenever calling back to the States, and it costs about $.25 bze ($.125 usd) a minute.  Just a few of the many options available to you. Sharon Hiebing

Thank you.  Vonage only give out numbers in the US.

Hugesnet internet satellite works with Skype just fine, so calls to the USA or anywhere else work just fine and are very cheap.  With no blocking of skype to worry about.

Hi Artyfitz. Yes, Vonage only gives out U.S. numbers. So my suggestion was if you were going to be keeping a U.S. number for business, then that would be a good option. If no one will be calling you, and you only are concerned with calling to the U.S., then satellite or one of the cable company internet services would probably be the way to go so you could use Skype.