Sending and receiving packages in Belize

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Belize?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Belize?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I have attempted to recieve items by various methods ice the past 3 years
DHL is a poorly run business.when items have ordered/bought on the internet.I pay for and pay the international shipping to recieve the items to me here in Corozal.The items make it far as Belize City at the DHL cargo
I get a message that says I will personally have to travel at my time and expense to Maryville and pick up the package.I have to pay shipping and duty fees again.Needless to say I make sure nothing is shipped from the US to me here in COROZAL via DHL
FedEx has never worked for packages at all.Overnight Priority.Signature required.Letters do make it COROZAL airport and I have to somehow get to COROZAL Fed Ex cargo to gin and pickup

Sending and receiving packages does pose a tense problem.   The way I have alleviated the problem is to have all USA packages, for example, sent to one address in the USA.  My contact USA contact gathers the items and, if necessary, repackages the packages and items in a larger box not to exceed 50#.

My contact takes the box(ex) to a shipper that does direct business in Belize with a counterpart in my area.  The Belizean counterpart receives the package(s) boxes and text me. 

I do have to pay for shipping from USA to Belize and any customs.  Usually this works out since the shipper knows me now and does little extras for me. Shipping does not become a burden with free shipping from Amazon and other online retailers in the USA to a USA address.

Phil

Your way is the way that works for me after my other methods/attempts didn't work for various reasons
Everything I own is at my US home mailing address in storage till I need it
Anything I buy over the intrnet online gets shipped to my US p.o. box or to my US home address where it stays safely in storae undisturbed until I make my monthly airplane  trip back to the USA
I fly Southwest airlines so I always have a 2nd piece of free/no fee lsuitcase that I bring my US purchases duty free.no belizean "GST" tax.
I in effect only buy/ship/pay US sales tax on items ship to the US and kept kept in storagel ans bring the items in my luggage to Belize.

This is good information here. I need to have a FOB sent to me here in Belize from the US. Any info or feedback on the best way to do so? It's a FOB I need for logging into the network for my company.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

Check out this thread from September of this year.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 19#4380782

Arrow Freight in Spanish Lookout is good.
All good at sent to the USA outlet -- BlackTop enterprises

Contact Arrow Freight, they are reliable and good.