Buying property in the Philippines

markandjane wrote:
dhnindc wrote:

Ishar is stating the law. Only a Philippino citizen can own land. A 13a residency does not grant citizenship. Study the law and not the embassy website. You can have your Philippino spouse who is a citizen purchase land but will be in her name.

Yes, she is pointing out how the law stands on a foreigner owning a residential building etc...not a foreigner holding a 13a residency visa...period

So, its your opinion the official Philippines embassy website dont actually know what there on about and the 'hear say' on here holds more validity :)

Since its been a few days since ive posted the said comment and the other 2 contributors haven't responded I will assume what ive stated holds weight.

Either way, what will be, will.

Im able to obtain the 13a visa in the UK for a princely some of 108 pounds....somewhat much less than the 20 thousand peso's being charged in The Philippines...although the cost of xrays and the medical will overshadow that figure hence, ill get those done when we're home (Philippines) :)

I will reiterate, im getting 13a because of British income tax avoidance purposes.

Cheers
Mark

A 13a visa only grants you residency status and not citizenship. You have to be a Philippino Citizen to own land. You can buy the house that sits on the land but not the land itself.  Anyway, go ahead and buy the land. If you manage to do it, more power to you. It may bring trouble in the end when you try to sell it or someone else lays claim to the title. 

You do not need a 13a visa to avoid UK income taxes as they tax where income is earned. So if the income is earned in the PI, then its not taxable. Of course the 13A will assist in verifying, but so will your exit stamp on the UK Passport serve as evidence you are not in residence in the UK.

dhnindc wrote:
markandjane wrote:
dhnindc wrote:

Ishar is stating the law. Only a Philippino citizen can own land. A 13a residency does not grant citizenship. Study the law and not the embassy website. You can have your Philippino spouse who is a citizen purchase land but will be in her name.

Yes, she is pointing out how the law stands on a foreigner owning a residential building etc...not a foreigner holding a 13a residency visa...period

So, its your opinion the official Philippines embassy website dont actually know what there on about and the 'hear say' on here holds more validity :)

Since its been a few days since ive posted the said comment and the other 2 contributors haven't responded I will assume what ive stated holds weight.

Im able to obtain the 13a visa in the UK for a princely some of 108 pounds....somewhat much less than the 20 thousand peso's being charged in The Philippines...although the cost of xrays and the medical will overshadow that figure hence, ill get those done when we're home (Philippines) :)

I will reiterate, im getting 13a because of British income tax avoidance purposes.

Cheers
Mark

A 13a visa only grants you residency status and not citizenship. You have to be a Philippino Citizen to own land. You can buy the house that sits on the land but not the land itself.  Anyway, go ahead and buy the land. If you manage to do it, more power to you. It may bring trouble in the end when you try to sell it or someone else lays claim to the title. 

You do not need a 13a visa to avoid UK income taxes as they tax where income is earned. So if the income is earned in the PI, then its not taxable. Of course the 13A will assist in verifying, but so will your exit stamp on the UK Passport serve as evidence you are not in residence in the UK.

The UK inland revenue stated to me that I need A residency visa/permit from The Philippines to claim back income tax upto a maximum of 6 months per year. Also I must not stay in the UK longer than 6 months.

There is a friend of mine, who's British (who works where I work) who's permanent address is in Fort Lauderdale Florida but, works 6 months of the year here.

The 13a, in my case, is for the benefit of the British authorities. All my income will be coming from the UK.

Geez, we are both talking English here but, im failing to make myself understood....much like when I first met my wife hahaha

Anyway, I'll post again on this subject when I have the documents In my hand otherwise we'll be back and forth for ever more. :)

Cheers

markandjane wrote:
dhnindc wrote:

Cheers
Mark

mark i will respond im in the phillipines as we speak and i can assure you that you cannot own land even if you have a resindency visa .the only property that you can legally own in your sole name is a condo anything else has to be in your wifes name .but you can lease a piece of land for say 50 years then build your own house on it then if you want to sell you can sell house with the lease .but its very hard to sell a house here once you have bought it .it takes on average 2 years to sell a property here . hope this helps you a bit more .

sookie31 wrote:
markandjane wrote:
dhnindc wrote:

Cheers
Mark

mark i will respond im in the phillipines as we speak and i can assure you that you cannot own land even if you have a resindency visa .the only property that you can legally own in your sole name is a condo anything else has to be in your wifes name .but you can lease a piece of land for say 50 years then build your own house on it then if you want to sell you can sell house with the lease .but its very hard to sell a house here once you have bought it .it takes on average 2 years to sell a property here . hope this helps you a bit more .

Mark only trusts the Philippines Embassy website and not hearsay from these forums....

dhnindc wrote:
sookie31 wrote:
markandjane wrote:

Cheers
Mark

Mark only trusts the Philippines Embassy website and not hearsay from these forums....

well i know guys who have been here for years tried to buy land that are married to phillipina,s have been told the same thing no you cannot as a foreigner own any land here .

dhnindc wrote:
sookie31 wrote:
markandjane wrote:

Cheers
Mark

Well, don't you think that's wise (trusting the official website)...you mentioned ' forums' well, most responsible forums do have disclaimers notices and actually recommends referring to the official sites before any commitment be it financial or otherwise.

Sound advice, don't you think.  My wife did exactly the same thing getting her UK visas, spouse and ILR..did the research on a well known UK Filipino forum then, consulted the UKBA website (the equivalent to the Philippines Embassy website)

These said sites are the law...you can't get any higher. :)

sookie31 wrote:
markandjane wrote:
dhnindc wrote:

Cheers
Mark

Cheers...I hear what you are saying...thanks for being constructive :)
yes , im aware that the housing market there is nothing like the UK.

In a space of 5 years I had bought and sold 3 houses...the possibility of doing that in The Philippines and make profit is all but a far away dream.

Although, there are bargains to be had by being in the right place at the right time (not too dissimilar to the UK) for example...the expat builds his dream home then finds out its not his cup of tea...a quick sale is required...this is more common than people think....again, you have to make sure all paperwork is in order...a past contributor gave a comprehensive list...worth making a note of those.

Unlike in the UK, we don't intend to chop and change...this will be it, the bed we made, the bed we  sleep in.

Tell me about it I am still trying to sell my Bogo house since 2008. Considering renting it out by the room or the entire house. :cool:

CharlesHarman wrote:

Tell me about it I am still trying to sell my Bogo house since 2008. Considering renting it out by the room or the entire house. :cool:

Sorry to hear that, Charles...although we know the area we want to live, we won't make any commitment until our pilgrimage there later in the year.

In my research on this topic I have noted the following>

1. Any non Phil citizen that takes a TCT document to record his/her new purchased property will be shocked...it wont be allowed.  Good luck getting your money back from the seller...so you are forced to name/have on hand a trusted Phil cit./spouse/GF or???

2. Any person with a CCT document will be allowed to "finish" the transaction regardless of citizenship.  Are some places that have CCT titles Town homes, or may look like a regular house with no common walls?  Opo, tama yes!   not so common but they are there.   

3. Many of the other land owners have given up their citizenships to legally own the land.  Not sure many Americans will do that.  So it can  be misleading to see a Thailander or Korean or Chinese "Owning land" when few understand that they have (on paper) become Phil citizens.  I do have a friend from HK that retained their HK ID and passport and travels there without the use of their new country's ID/passport....   Could this be repeated in other Asian countries...hmmmm?

4. The corporation is the best bet when the correct corporation type/related business is used.  Note: The Foreign Investment Act (R.A. 7042, 1991, amended by R.A. 8179, 1996) has two lists which defines the foreign investments which are limited or restricted by the constitution and specific laws. Negative List A & Negative List B. 

5. Read/study both "Negative Lists" and make sure before you go to DTI, SEC and get all the other docs that you have set up the corporation in accordance with The Foreign Investment Act.  A person that is married to a Phil lady and operates her business jointly can still be operating out of the Phil law...   if the business is on negative A/B lists.   

6.  The 40% rule of foreign ownership can be exceeded (up to 100%) but most will not do that because of the paid-in capital for the general domestic corporation being a minimum of USD 200,000.00. Excluding Retail trade Corps.....

It gets better.....

True, 100% foreign ownership is allowed for Philippine retail trade enterprises when the following conditions are 100%  met:

1.  Paid-up capital of USD 2,500,000.00 or more
2.  Provided that a min USD 830,000.00 investment is established for the retail store.

...a mere $3.33M and you (any citizen from any country) have your 100% ownership with the rights to buy and own 100% of the land/building ..as a Corporation....

Foreigners cannot buy land, but they can buy condominium units.  I doubt there are other requirements other than proof of financial capacity because my fiance was able to buy one, and he doesn't have permanent resident status or any special status, just a tourist who comes to Manila a lot.

It is not the developer status it is the unit status requested by the developer.  If the developer processed the units to be titled as TCT, non-Phils cant register that title, If it is CCT, any person from any country can buy the unit and so pass it on to any other person or sell it to any person they want.  TCT vs. CCT is the key.