Volunteering in the USA

I know volunteering is very much part of US culture, and as a jobless French expat I would like to volunteer but I don't know where to start.
Do you know if there are associations (or such) I could turn to to do some volunteering?
I'm aware of "Habitat for humanity" and of course "The red cross" but I'd like to have more options...
Thanks for your help! :)

Nobody??? :(

The reality is that there are a million options, what do you like to do?  The local library would have you come to read to kids, many local schools have volunteers in the kindergartens, any local environmental group may jump at the chance, the local Opera group will have a crowd of people that help organise things....what do you like?  What would you like to do????

Some hospitals take in volunteers, less than they used to because of liability issues, seniors centers sometimes do....

We'll I used to be a teacher so working in a library or such, why not?
As for what I'd like to do precisely, I don't really know, I want to give time and do my best, knowing I don't have much experience in anything actually...
Not being American I haven't a clue which type of places "hire" volunteers, for instance I would have never thought of a library or opera house!!
Thank you!

Also the military is all volunteer, no draft any more

Schools always need volunteers (though may have to do background checks), museums, hospitals, park and recreation districts. Humane society. Easiest way would be to google volunteer opportunities + what city you are in.

This thread is from 2009. I think by now he/she would have found a volunteer position and/or moved on.  :D

usmc_mv wrote:

This thread is from 2009. I think by now he/she would have found a volunteer position and/or moved on.  :D

I agree

Closed