So~start with yummy of Guangzhou~!

hey, everybody~
i would rather to introduce guangzhou as "the city of yummy" than "the city of flower"~:P
the oldest parts of guangzhou is the Yuexiu,Liwan,Dongshan. Let's tell it simply.the area around Beijing pedestrian street is Yuexiu(metro station Gongyuanqian Line1). the west of Yuexiu is Liwan; the east of Yuexiu is Dongshan.
the oldest traditional food is hidden in Liwan, it's more exactly to call it Xiguan.
so~ get off the metro at Changshoulu station of Line 1. (before you get there, make sure your stomach is empty.)

Beef balls
get on the ground, you can find the best Guangzhou beef balls and Chaozhou beef balls! Guangzhou beef ball is at the crossing of Longjin Rd. and Baoyuan Rd.(it's only open before 2:00pm ); and Chaozhou beef ball is on the Duobao Rd. just behind the bus station. you can see long queues in these two shops everyday.

Wonton noodle
"宝华面店Baohua Miandian" on Baohua Rd., about 200~300 meters from metro station. i prefer the mushroom wonton noodle than prawns wonton noodle. order:"香菇云吞面xian gu yun tun mian". and it's a good choice to have some pickles(turnip in vinegar and chilli)on the table. the southern noodle is quite different from the northern one, not that soft and the soup is more than amazing~!i don't know how to describe how tasty it is in English... go and have a try~!

coconut ice cream
顺记冰室shun ji bing shi, go along 50meters after Baohua Miandian. you must and only need to have coconut ice cream and ice-lolly with red bean and coconut shred here. they make ice cream with fresh coconut everyday. and believe me, skip over the other desserts.

陈添记Chentianji fish skin
it's famous for fish skin and Tingzai Porridge. but i think the taste have changed since the old boss passed away some year before. though many visitors think they're delicious all along.

肠粉Chang fen
"steamed vermicelli roll"? i don't know the exact name in English. on the a ramp opposite of 陈添记. i don't remember the name of this shop. but you can see the cooking vapours running out from the windows, here it is~! any kind of "steamed vermicelli roll" won't make you dispointed, all of them are nice, choose a kind of meat you like. Jidi Porridge is also a good choice.

南信双皮奶Nanxin shuang pi nai
then walk along and turn left. Here is Shangxiajiu Pedestrian Street. you can see one of the oldest restaurant "Taotao Ju" on your right. it wil take a long time to have dinner in a restaurant, so skip it~ notice a old-timey small door, get in and order 双皮奶(somethin like milk pudding),cold is better than hot, in my opinion. and another kind with genger 姜撞奶(Jiang zhuang nai), hot only. pretty pretty pretty yummy~!~!~!

Beef offal
if you are interested in it, under the Holiday Inn. there're two shop selling beef offal, one called "牛魔王", the other called "林林",林林 is the older one. i insist 林林 should taste better for such a long time. because it's the only one when i was a child. but i found that they are totally all the same some days before...

now~ should we take a rest for your stomach? well, to be honest,
i need a rest... i'm not that good at English...

ps: how can i post some pictures? so i can draw the map.

Thanks for sharing !!!! I been looking for those information !

carynfan wrote:

Thanks for sharing !!!! I been looking for those information !

you r welcome~ thanks, i'm glad you like it~!

by the way,
there's a pet street behind the Holiday Inn. if you like animals, have a visit after the Beef offal shop, daytime only~

Wow,very impressive! 
There are still lots of yummy stuff I have not tasted althought have been here for 6 years!

Very interesting and informative post. Thanks! My wife and I will be going to Jilin, but perhaps I will see some of these there too.
Tom

I love Cantonese food but in Shanghai it's pretty hard to find good Guangzhou food. If you have more post, we will all be very happy. I will be in GZ next month and definitely will sus out one or two of these favourite spots. Thanks again.

Thats awesome. I am moving to Liwan District in a month and was told it was part of the Old Town. I will try these dishes out and yes hehe it should be the town of yummy and not the flower, or perhaps the yummy flower city :P

AirForceVet wrote:

Thats awesome. I am moving to Liwan District in a month and was told it was part of the Old Town. I will try these dishes out and yes hehe it should be the town of yummy and not the flower, or perhaps the yummy flower city :P

congratulations~! sure that you will think it's a good idea to live in Liwan~ enjoy your new old gz life~!:)

Interesting and well thought out post. You should consider another job as a restaurant critic:)

Are there any good vegetarian dishes that you recommend? I know that the people of Guangzhou have a reputation for eating anything on legs(or not)but I'm sure there must be some nice food without meat or fish in the city?

I'm moving to Guangzhou in March 2012 to teach English. Looking forward to it very much.:)

to Tom
do you mean the Jilin in north? if so, i'm afraid you can't find these things there... you know, the climate in north is totally different from GZ. so...
i'm thinking about go to Jilin too~ in this winter holiday~

to Muchadoaboutnothing
i'm sorry i can't offer any recommendation about Guangzhou food in Shanghai.but you can try some restaurants named with "Hongkong", they r nearly all the same as Guangzhou food. i think it's much more easy to find hongkong style restaurant in Shanghai.

hope you enjoy the trip in China~ and my lovely GZ city~!

Paddywaks1967 wrote:

Interesting and well thought out post. You should consider another job as a restaurant critic:)

Are there any good vegetarian dishes that you recommend? I know that the people of Guangzhou have a reputation for eating anything on legs(or not)but I'm sure there must be some nice food without meat or fish in the city?

I'm moving to Guangzhou in March 2012 to teach English. Looking forward to it very much.:)

well, thank you~ i would prefer to be a guidebook writer~:P

to be honest, i seldom have vegetarian dishes. but there r many vegetarian restaurants around the temples. there r some old temples in another area of nice food that i'm writing to tell you. you can find nice vegetarian dishes there, i think.

welcome to lovely GZ~!

Thanks Swingriku

Really looking forward to coming to Guangzhou. Sounds like a good, fun place to live and work.

Been a veggie for over 20 years but not 'typical', if there is such a thing, in that I'm into sport(football, rugby, climbing, parachuting,etc). Any advice that you could give me on good places to eat would be greatly appreciated :)

Swing! You need to take me for some of that coconut ice cream! hehe! Awesome post sweetie! <3

MusiKirby wrote:

Swing! You need to take me for some of that coconut ice cream! hehe! Awesome post sweetie! <3

whenever as u like~ sweetie~~

haha, Swing, maybe this weekend? I think I will be in town after all and ready to party!
xoxox
<3