Bagatelle mall of Mauritius

Hi Guys,

I started this thread for your opinion on this new mall in Mauritius. I checked it out today , an excellent place to hang out. Ideal place to spend your day shopping and enjoying the Food Court.

For English movie lovers, I confirmed that they have English movies everyday at 6.00 PM. At the moment they have 2 English movies.

I hope with some more big Mall opening up , it will encourage late shopping , nightlife etc.

Cheers!!!
Terence

Thank you!!!

The main obstacle for a true night life in Mauritius is transportation. Not all the Mauritian family can afford the cost of taxi/private car. I do not mention the culture/safety reason, e.g. the girls can not go out without accompany of her relatives/friend.

Well I must be the only person who found Bagatelle disappointing. I'll try it again when more than half the shops are open...
But seriously, they were the same shops you can find elsewhere on the island (ok, ok, there's Pick'n'pay, but a supermarket does not fit my idea of "interesting" or "fun", rather the contrary), so no surprise here. As for the movies, 6pm? Well, I won't be going there, because once again that means I won't be able to go home after the show.

On the whole when I visited this place I felt bored to death... no offence meant, that's just my opinion.

They are the same shops that you find all over the island, but at least now they are all in one spot. (well, almost all).

I still do not understand why there has to be a DJ playing loud clubbing music in every shopping centre in Mauritius.. it really ruins the atmosphere.. i rather listen to water fountains & people than that type of music...

By the way,all the movies in Bagatelle cinema (6 movies) are shown in original language at either 5:40pm or 6:00pm every day. If in doubt, you could contact Star Cinema on tel: 4688126

FINALLY, i can go to the cinema..

I can see most of the rush in the food court and the supermarket. Not very sure if those big showrooms for branded items will have a good market.

It would be a good idea if we could make of group of friend and go for the movie and then for drinks in Metropolis on a Friday.

Mariam A wrote:

By the way,all the movies in Bagatelle cinema (6 movies) are shown in original language at either 5:40pm or 6:00pm every day. If in doubt, you could contact Star Cinema on tel: 4688126

FINALLY, i can go to the cinema..

Yes, Terence, that would a great idea... we just need to make sure that the movie we see has good reviews. The last thing you want is to fork up 250Rs over a bad one...you will feel bad after that...

We are going to see Planet of Apes tonight...

Thanks terence. At long last some movies in English. Tried to make my way yesterday to the mall but had to make alternative plans due to long queue to even enter the mall. I guess I will wait mid month to go again. Will get great to organize a meet up someday for movies.

I've never felt unsafe going out in Mauritius unaccompanied! Maybe that's because I'm from South Africa,haha! Will be nice when woolies etc is open and lambic is opening there, that will be nice..personally I think circle square in grand baie will be better, will have a golf driving range with club house, climbing wall, skate rink and home decor shops as well as pubs etc..wi.l have  more to do

The Woolworth team did visit the Bagatelle Mall with a view of opening an outlet there. I had got a call from them asking for Hotels near the Mall. I think they will open their outlet in Centre Point , the new  5 star mall that will open near Shoprite in Quatre Bornes.

hahaha.... Star cinema is already having technical difficulties showing some of the movies in original language so movies are now shown dubbed in French (mainly Planet of the Apes, FOR NOW). Typical....

How can you have technical difficulties showing a movie in its original language..

Are they really having technical difficulties, or are people not coming to watch the movie because they NEED the subtitles? Go figure.

I too am really happy about seeing movies in English, and plenty of Mauritians also say they want to see movies in their original language.  Biggest problem coming from the North is having to travel through Port Louis in time to get there for 6pm with all the traffic heading home to the South.

Guys taking this little out of topic... But we need our expat meet (atleast I need it)
Why cant we organise something... A bbq or beach volleyball etc etc...
Honestly i m not good organizing meeting.. Untill its business related :P
So please please plan somethin this mnth... Cause after all will be bsy with x-mass new year etc etc...
Me too flyin to see my folks...
Want to see u soon :)
Tc Xxxx

Hi all

I too will not be going back to Bagatelle until all the shops are opened and the hype has died down.

I liked the design though..great its on one level and as for baby change facilities, I can't fault it (not often there's a toilet for mum also inside the babychange room!)..I am just hoping they may include a play center soon. There seemed to be something in the planning for a kiddies area. Good to see the baby shop MEEM will also be having an outlet there, great not to have to trek into Port Louis to go to MEEM for the rare baby treat.

The food court will be a great new asset to the area and when Mugg and Bean opens (Huge South African coffee chain) there will be a nice cosmopolitan feel, lots of new eateries plan on opening I see. They food court is a lovely design..my son had an absolute ball running through the fountains!

I hope the Center management think about operating some shuttle buses to and from the main towns of Mauritius to accommodate non car users.

A good sports/music bar would have been a much needed addition though!

Hope the Center management are listening to all of our comments!

ohh and how about starting a price war between all the Supermarkets in Mauritius..about time the grocery prices started going down instead of up!

anyway..I do think once its open fully it will be a great addition to Mauritius..at the very least job-wise

Movies in English is one of the main plus of the Bagatelle mall.

Visually though I'm not a fan; could have done better; especially an ENL project. The shops are mainly the ones you already have around; with a few rare exceptions. But overall am not too impressed about it!

Hopefully food-wise things will be better than shopping wise. Although a kid's area is missing. And I wouldn't mind if the music wasn't blasting at every corner of the mall!!!

Nice design and food court but same ol' shops indeed!
The opening of Lambic will be a good reason to go there :cheers:

Does anyone know anything about Centre Point - the new 5 star mall in Quatre Bornes -  mentioned by Terence in an earlier message?
I've looked on the web, but can't find anything.
Thanks.

Hi Warmup

It is the Shopping Center that is taking forever to finish beside the The Trianon/shoprite complex.

Don't know whats the holdup with it, but it is called Center point on the bill board

I doubt the suceess of Centre point if Bagatelle is not a success. As I mentined earlier the rush is only in the Food Court, Supermarket and Cash and Carry. There are chances that investors might shy away from renting other outlets.

If I had the money I would definately invest in the food court. I could see that the South African restuarant Ocean Delight was not only full but a long queue for a place to sit inside the restuarant.

I am too waiting for Lambic to open up. I just remembered that our Expat meetup in Oct 2009 was in Lambic in Port Louis.

Well, as for the shopping mall in Trianon, I've been hearing from my colleagues for months on end that it will NOT be finished and will therefore never open. Because of Bagatelle. Of course, I don't know whether this piece of info is reliable, but even last year they were already saying this...

I had worked with the people at Centerpoint during the conception phase. I do not think it will open any soon as we've heard that they have lots of difficulties (I mean the promoters).  I think that the construction itself has been put to halt.  Anyways, I initially thought of not going to Bagatelle at least 6 months from opening... I hate crowd and curious people... But I already went there thrice!  As darling wife was leaving for J'burg and somewhat down, I tried to surprise her and brought her there (she knows that I hate crowd)...

Had Sushi at Ocean Basket, Steak at Spur and watched Schtroumph (sorry for spelling) with kids.

Ocean Basket was fantastic, Spur good as usual (I mean the steak). The 3D movie did not impress me at all (seen better) but the overall setting was very pleasant in the cinema.

As for DJ music, well it confirms what I've written in my french blog site. Every young person seem to be a DJ in Mauritius! Just look at car windshields & nicknames (DJ this, DJ that, DJ I know, DJ blabla!) I think some events promoters are convinced that this type of music pleases everybody on the island...!

I understood that location fee @ Bagatelle is enormous, therefore only brand companies and chains can open there, meaning expensive shopping. This is not the key to success, especially with the recession...

Hi
Quite a pleasant visit Wednesday before last, but for those that are going - GO EARLY.  At busy times, people have already given up and gone home because of the queueing to get in.  It makes the peak Trianon queues look small.  Once in at peak times, it is only for the supremely patient.

I suspect that once most people have seen around, it will stabilise at a reasonable level of visitors (from the shopper point of view).

New supermarket prices are a little high, but the stuff on promo is a good purchase.  Other shops seem expensive (as it the rent on a unit), but better quality stock - difficult to generalise, especially as around half were yet to open.

Fountains were pretty and my three year old daughter enjoyed them.  We had a power cut as we were in the family toilet/baby changer and there it was a blackout.  Finished by "mobile phone glow"!

Dewa dahl Puri was 20rs!

Warmup wrote:

Does anyone know anything about Centre Point - the new 5 star mall in Quatre Bornes -  mentioned by Terence in an earlier message?
I've looked on the web, but can't find anything.
Thanks.

This one has stopped since a few months. It's looking like a 5 star eyesore rather than a shopping mall!

StevenC wrote:

Hi

Dewa dahl Puri was 20rs!

We joke about it!The Dholl Puri Bagatelle price!

Hi all, i was very disappointed with the Bagatelle thingy! as always, whateva is new will attract customers, i give it a year and dead will it be! anyway last time i went there, spent not more than 30mns inside! [Moderated]
another thing would be the architecture of the building! very disappointed! from the outside i really like it! makes me think of the Victoria waterfront in the S.A but then as we step foot inside i'ts all completely changed! who the hell designed the building!?lol for the movie house part, i better buy a dvd and watch it with friends at home.

Um, Andy, calling somebody "that other chick" is very rude... I would feel offended if someone called me that.

first comment: parking.. they dont have signs/markings so that you can easily remember your parking slot.. my bf and I went there after work, we were tired and starving so we forgot to take mental note where we parked.. when we were about to go home, we spent I think more than 30 mins looking for our car hehe.. and there has been news about theft happening in the parking lot..
cinema.. how often do they change movies here in mauritius? since bagatelle opened, they still show the same sets of movies today... and cinema doesn't accept debit card, and there's only 1 atm (for mcb at least), which unfortunately was not working that day we went

Heard that its expensive? Not been yet and don't intend to until the hype dies down and maybe the crowds.
Just how many Malls does Mauritius need given the recession anyway?

The problem behind all these is the concept of setting the retails.... the concerned management (wnt label the name)has group all the F&B in 1 place and Retail on the other, and Intermart not soo far with the F&B thus, evr1 just goes for their lunch and dinner without having a single look at the showroom