A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil

I am very happy with this site.  How am I going to get a drivers license here in Brazil if I don't speak the language?  Do they have a test in English?  Can my wife translate the test as I take it?  They told me to go to Rio to ask questions but that is a long distance from here.  I can get the IADP in June but I'll run out of options eventually.

Hi elcamino1965, (great car BTW)

Unfortunately there is no way to obtain a driver's license unless you can speak Portuguese well enough to go through the Auto Escola program and pass the written exam which is only Portuguese. I do not believe that there is any tranlating allowed, but you can try asking the driving school.

The other option you might consider if you still have a valid Utah Driver's License is to have it translated, take it to DETRAN and ask them to issue Permission to Drive. I don't know what the fee is and I believe that it will only be valid for 180 days. After that you will need a Brazilian license to continue driving.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thank you for answering my question.  I have already bought a car.  I don"t know what will happen if I get caught driving it.  If    I can make it one more month I can get an inter America license.  Are you living in Macae?

Hi elcamino1965,

Yes, I live in Macaé. Actually I've lived in five different states in Brazil since I arrived here over eleven years ago. Amazonas, São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Bahia and now Rio de Janeiro to be exact.

Regarding getting caught driving without a license while it probably won't be such a big deal if the car is properly registered and up to date with IPVA, DPVAT and insurance. However the big problem is what will happen should you be involved in an accident as an unlicensed driver. Regardless of who causes the accident here in Brazil the unlicensed driver will be found 100% liable for everything. If this is a serious accident, especially one that involves serious injury or death it could wipe you out financially since most insurers will refuse all coverage. Another consideration is that someone who is involved in a minor accident with you who may be unscruplous and see all foreigners as trees that sprout money may try to extort you for almost everything you've got too. In most cases of minor accidents even Brazilians tend to settle things between themselves without going through insurance companies, but this leaves you open to the kind of extortion I've mentioned.

Cheers,

I read from angloinfo saopaulo that as an American I can exchange my American license for a full Brazilian license.  I hope that's true.  I'll check on it tomorrow.  I won't need to take a test or go to school.

hi wjwoodward,

i am looking for information regarding testaments and wills for brazilian expats living in switzerland.

would you be able to advise further?

many thanks,

anna

Hi Anna,

I don't have any idea at all about the situation with Wills and Testaments in Switzerland. If you have an existing Will anywhere in the world it will remain valid here even if written in a foreign language. It will however be executed according to Brazilian succession laws. Regarding pre-existing Wills being valid there you'd need to talk to a lawyer there I guess.

Cheers,

I want to know how to eat a Brazil nut.  Do you need a chainsaw to open those things?

No Hailey, you need a small sledge hammer and a sharply pointed dentist's pick to separate the meat from the shell once you've smashed it open. Only if you're extremely lucky will it separate and come away intact once you've beaten that nasty shell into submission!

A chainsaw is too damn noisey and anyway it pollutes.

Hi James,

Thanks for this wonderful blog.

I m looking to move to Goiania and am entitled to the Viper,as my wife and daughter are both Brazilian. If it s possible, I would like to ask you some questions off line.

Thanks,
Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Sure, just send me a private message with your questions.

Cheers,

Thank you James.

Hi, William

Getting back to the driver's license question:

What about obtaining an International Driver's License? My family and I used to get those when traveling to Europe becasue we never went the tour-bus route. We drove everywhere we went. And even thoough that wouldn't be a PERMANENT solution, I know those are valid for 10 YEARS. Would Brazil accept that? And if not, why not?

The International Driver's Permit (IDP) is not recognized by Brazil since it was not a signatory to the Convention.

If you come from another North or South American Country there is an equivalent, the Inter-Americas Driver's Permit (IADP) which is recognized by Brazil. It is applied for in exactly the same way, at the local Automobile Association at home, is valid for one year and must be accompanied by a valid driver's license from your home country (with min. validity of one year remaining to correspond with the IADP).

All other nations should check with their local Automobile Associations or Driver's License Bureau to see if your country has any kind of reciprocal agreement with Brazil regarding driving. Some countries do; in which case you need only have your original driver's license tranlated into Portuguese (by legal translator in Brazil). You need to apply to DETRAN (Departmento de Transito) in the state where you will be residing for permission to drive, pay a fee and you will then be permitted to drive for up to 180 days. After 180 days one would need to apply for and obtain a Brazilian driver's license (CNH - Carteira Nacional de Habilitação) through the normal process.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Let me chime in here. I have for 3 years purchased the IADP, not once has it ever been requested. Not even by the police. I think you should have one regardless but don't get offended if they don't ask for it on demand. The only difference is the date format. Most Police officers know the difference. I sure the hell do.

More details here:

http://www.aaa.com/ppinternational/IDP_IADP_Apply.html

IDP/IADP = waste of money but if you intend to apply for a permanent license it is required but you DL needs to be translated (weights and measures converted as well) by an official translator. This document needs to be registered and then certified (appx. $300USD in the Amazonas).

Thanks to you both.

William, I had a feeling the International Driver's Permit did not apply to Brazil when you had not mentioned it already, but I still had hope. But Brazil has different and more difficult rules for everything, so why should this be any different?

And thank for the website, mattvillemure. Will let you know if I have any further questions after I check it out later with more time.

Actually I did mention in the original post that the IDP was not recognized in Brazil and only the IADP was valid here. It's in the text right next to the photo of the Brazilian Driver's License in the posting.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif

By GOD! Yes you HAD...! LOL. I just referred back and saw it!

Thanks again, as always, William, for all your info and help. You're a priceless find for all of us. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, it's greatly appreciated. It's just that knowledge that many of our members feel exactly like you do that keeps me working hard at being Animator. It's a strictly voluntary position and takes up a great deal of my time, but even though it doesn't put one cent in my pocket the only way I'll stop being Animator and working so hard is when I take that "long dirt sleep". LOL

Well, I surely hope we're NOWHERE near THAT point (for ALL of our sakes!). And it's ESPECIALLY because it's strictly voluntary on your part that what you do means even more. I'll be honest, I sometimes wonder how you find time for anything else. Because I know you field questions from ALL OVER THE WORLD. I sometimes don't even find time to READ the comments or new topics, let alone you who are constantly CREATING new ones, in addition to answering questions, and ALWAYS in great and painstaking detail, and (as we know) often answering the SAME question over and over and OVER (E-GAD!) again! Like...my question today about the International Driver's Permit, for example. LOL. So, yes, you ARE appreciated and by many I know because I see that appreciation constantly being restated on this site. Though never enough, my friend, never enough.

Til next time...

lacret60

Actually, the IDP is valid in Brazil, by executive decree 86741/81:
http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/de … d86714.htm

and Res 50/98 DENATRAN art 30:
"O condutor de veículo automotor natural de país estrangeiro e nele habilitado, desde que penalmente imputável no Brasil, está autorizado a dirigir no território nacional quando amparado por acordos ou convenções internacionais, ratificados e aprovados pelo Brasil, e quando esteja no país na condição de turista, ou seja detentor de visto temporário, permanente, de cortesia, oficial ou diplomático"

Good to know this has changed, because everything that I've seen on the internet up til now states that Brazil had only recognized the IADP. Thanks for the information.

Vegas12,

Speaking on the topic of the US Visa Waiver Program, I can tell you first hand that it won't happen for a very long time. Brazil accounts for 37% of overstays which places them in the top 5, and of course Mexico is at the very top of the list.

When I worked for CBP there was a lot of talk about this, Argentina and Chile are on the list too. At one point in time Argentina and Uruguay were eligible countries on VWP list. It is unlikely that in the next 5 years any countries from South America will make the list simply because around 65% of overstays come from Central/South America.

Matt-

Vegas12,

Speaking on the topic of the US Visa Waiver Program, I can tell you first hand that it won't happen for a very long time. Brazil accounts for 37% of overstays which places them in the top 5, and of course Mexico is at the very top of the list.

When I worked for CBP there was a lot of talk about this, Argentina and Chile are on the list too. At one point in time Argentina and Uruguay were eligible countries on VWP list. It is unlikely that in the next 5 years any countries from South America will make the list simply because around 65% of overstays come from Central/South America.

Matt-

I have removed my posting at the respectful request of member - lawyer_rio. I stand corrected regarding the issue of International Driver's Licence (IDP). We all make mistakes from time-to-time, that's why they put erasers on the end of pencils.

Brazil Ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic by executive decree on dezember 10th 1981, as you can see on the link posted by svenveer. Article 41 speaks of the international drivers permit and also allows drivers to use their national drivers license accompanied by a certified translation.

Maybe you should revise your comment.

Hello lawyer_rio,

Thanks for your input Sven. BTW the new user name is really nifty. Funny, I seem to recall that YOU requested to cancel your membership. Did you change your mind that quickly?

Anyway, while I do the very best to research my information I am only human and must rely on the accuracy of the researched material. ALL of the material I've seen on the International Driver's Permit (IDP) states that Brazil does not recognize it, that only the Inter-Americas Driver's Permit (IADP) is recognized. If that information, that has been out there in the public for some time is wrong, am I to blame for that? And how would I know that it is wrong in the first place? Now - I stand corrected.

I don't claim to be infallible, I do claim that I do the very best I can to source my information (since I'm a layman and a volunteer here on the blog). You have absolutely no idea of how many hours of dedicated hard work that I put into the Brazil Forum (and others), helping others without expecting anything in return. That is something that, in itself, demands respect and it's something that I expect. Correct errors if you will, post opposing opinions if you want to, that's your right and I'll defend that right to my very last breath. But, judge, criticize unjustly or abuse any member that's something that I will work equally hard to eliminate here on the blog.

So, you're back on the blog, your input is welcome and appreciated. I sincerely hope that where factual errors are made by me or by anyone else, that you will add your input to correct those errors, without being judgemental or abusive in any way. So now you have a clean slate, what you do with that is up to you entirely. Civility goes a very long way, it certainly will score you many more points than will the lack of it. I'm sure you can be a great asset to the Brazil Forum, that never was in question. What was in question is the way you were interacting with those around you.

Enough said!

Welcome back, feel free to comment and post as you wish. Just keep things within the guidelines set out in the Terms and Conditions and Brazil Forum Code of Conduct and things will be just fine all round.

Never said you are infallable.  I just moved back to see whether you had made any comments on me, and you did. Thanks for removing.

Considering the number of posts, I do have some idea on the hours you put into this. You should however look a little more into the comments I made before bluntly calling me wrong. As you might have figured by now, yes, I am in fact an OAB licensed lawyer.

I just posted comments where your information was not quite correct and you took it as a personal attac, hich it wasn't.

I promised myself I would ignore this but I can't as I'm growing very annoyed.

To the lawyer - in a perfect world the law would be followed to a T. Unfortunately this is Brazil. The information I have obtained through this forum has been priceless (long before you showed up). Therefore if you can't contribute in a productive manner please don't contribute at all. The bureaucracy of Brazil is complicated enough. Your bickering only makes it worse. Please read the ToS.

Thank you.

I just came upon this entire "exchange" today and couldn't believe what I was readig, but I couldn't have said it better myself, Matt.

There is no room for EGOS on this Blog, and I too have found it INVALUABLE and bless the day I found it! Because my experience has ALWAYS been that while CORRECTIONS on information already posted are ALWAYS WELCOME, ATTITUDES and SPITEFULNESS are NOT. OAB license in hand or NOT! So, it would be a SHAME that someone with MUCH to ADD to this Blog put on airs, and which makes it appear that lawyer_rio is just interested in showing how much he KNOWS versus HELPING PEOPLE, as William has and does. So, if you want to HELP, PLEASE DO SO, lawyer_rio, and keep visiting this Blog. But if you just want to SHOW OFF, maybe you should set up your own Blog where you can be the King of the Hill you obviously imagine yourself to be.

Information is very important. VITAL. But courtesy, friendliness and respect should NEVER take a back seat.

Hi guys,

I really appreciate the vote of confidence, but please let's not turn this into a big deal. Sven, I meant exactly what I said, I believe that you will be a great asset to the blog and I'm hoping that you will stay and contribute regularly. The only expectation that I have of you is exactly the same that I have of all of our members, and that is CIVILITY at all times.

Nobody is obligated to accept the opinion of any other member, and my certainly express their own opposing opinion as well. This is encouraged as part of the exchange of ideas we are dedicated to. So when you don't agree you're free to say so, don't worry about that.

I welcome you back and I'm sure that you'll do just fine here now. When I make a mistake, and I'm sure that I will, please feel free to correct the factual error. No further comment would really be necessary, just the correct facts.

I would ask one small favor however, since most of our members on this Anglophone forum aren't fully fluent in Portugese, if you do need to cite specific legislation in the future, could you please translate it to English (even if only run it through Google which is terrible I know) so that our other members will understand it too. That will be greatly appreciated. Of course some Portuguese terms will of necessity have to be used if only for instructional purposes or the name of a specific document, etc.

@matt

So you're happy with the current Brazilian culture of the jeitinho, everyone does what he wants to, and usually it's the gringo that draws the short straw?

I just pointed out some information that is just wrong, independent of whether the law is followed to the T.

- you can't just strike out the frase that you renounce your original nationality on your naturalization application or on the certificate. It would void your application or naturalization.

- you can drive in Brazil on an international divers permit, but also on your national license with a judicial translation. You can even use your European model license without translation as it says drivers lisence in 17 languages and that includes Portuguese.

Personally I am not at all happy with the Brazilian "this is Brazil attitude".

@lacret60

So pointing out that information is wrong is having an ego problem? I was thought by my parents when I was a kid to listen to others that point out your errors so that you can learn from them. Instead I'm told not to quote law unless I'm a licensed lawyer. So I point to the Cadastro Nacional de Advogados, and believe me, there are not that many lawyers called SVEN in Brazil (4) and ask for my removal. I then come back and find a sneer addressed to me and I have an ego problem? Telling someone that information he is giving out is not correct is not helping? I point to sources so that the other person can read it and learn from it.

@william
I don't have much time on my hands, I usually switch off the Internet when I'm home. If I post some quote from the law, it may just happen I don't have the time to translate it and I really don't believe in Google translate...

I have reflected, I hope you did too.

Sure I have Sven, that's why I welcome you back. I just hope that now everybody can just let things cool down.

As I pointed out, there are ways of saying things and there are ways of saying things. Hopefully we will all try to say things in a way that are more civil with one another in the future.

Your legal experience and your years of experience living here in Brazil make you very valueable as a member to be sure. I'm not crazy about the Brazilian bureaucracy, nor the "jeitinho" that it has spawned. I think there are far too many laws in this country that are either out of touch with reality or others that are simply ignored (sometimes even by the very government that enacted them).

Having said that, in my opinion it makes little sense in decrying the laws or decrying institutions that ignore them when we as individuals are virtually powerless to do anything about it. I'm certainly not going to chase my case all the way to the STF even though I have every right to do so and would propably win... I just don't have the time, strength or money.

Anyway, let's all leave things at that and all of us take a deep breath and cool off a bit.

James,

Many Brazilians make everything difficult. Several years ago, I had some FGTS I amantes to cash because I had worked for over 3 years without a carteira assinada. As usual my name was spelled wrong on the conta vinculado (my name is a bit more complicated than Woodward :D) and they just didn't want to give me my money, wanting to give me the run around. This is typical when they just don't want to be bothered. Since Caixa is a government Bank, I demanded a certidao explaining why they couldn't be bothered to give me my money. The sub manager told me they do not give certidōes, so I asked him where to file a petition asking for a certidao. A bit more apprehensive he told me that they didn't do that, so I asked him where then should I file a petition asking why at that specific agency I could not exercise my constitutional right to petition, so the guy was like "whadayamean???" (A guard with a hand on his gun had come closer by now), so I told him that he was breaking my constitutional rights and that I would have to come back with the police to arrest him for abuso de poder. So he said "just a sec". Turned around, mumbled something that sounded like fu@&ing gringos. Five minutes later I had my money.

When Its not probable I will have to interact with someone again, I just tell them how it's and what the options are, in most cases this resolves the problem.

Anyway...just FOR CLARITY'S SAKE, after all has been said and done:

Am I correct, then, after reading sveneer's DENATRAN quote of:

"O condutor de veiculo automotor...esta autorizado a dirigir no territorio nacional ...quando esteja no pais na condicao de turista..., permanente..." etc.,

that I can, NOT ONLY use an International Driver's Permit when I FIRST ARRIVE on a TOURIST Visa, BUT that I can ALSO CONTINUE to use one EVEN AFTER I aquire a PERMANENT STAY VISA?? In other words, can I get an IDP (which last I checked lasts 10 years)before I leave  for Brazil, and, THEN, at the END of those 10 years, and once, by that time (I hope!) living in Brazil on a Permanent Visa based on Marriage, can I just RENEW my IDP into INFINITY?

I certainly hope so. But please advise.

As far as I understand it after 180 days, one must have a Brazilian Carteira Nacional de Hablitação, so that would be fine for a tourist who is limited to 180 days, anyone on a temporary or permanent visa who stays longer than that is required to have a CNH.

The following is a quote from the official site of DETRAN-SP

http://www.detran.sp.gov.br/wps/portal/ … TRAN.troca

"Ao ingressar no país, o condutor estrangeiro poderá dirigir com a Carteira de Habilitação do país de origem (desde que dentro do seu prazo de validade), por até 180 dias. Para tanto, além da habilitação, o condutor deve portar o passaporte ou documento que comprove a data de entrada no país.

No entanto, para conduzir no Brasil após 180 dias da data de ingresso no país, o estrangeiro habilitado em um desses países deverá solicitar, a qualquer momento, a emissão da Carteira Nacional de Habilitação brasileira."

Thanks for your response, William.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back.

But, then, I guess, after finally being able to GET to your response, my last question on the topic (I think!), BASED on your response, is that, if I have an IDP at the end of that 180-day period in Brazil, would the driving test etcetera in written Portuguese etcetera STILL be REQUIRED to obtain that CNH? OR can the IDP be used to be sort of "traded in," for example, for a CNH?

Anyone in Brazil longer than 180 days must obtain a CNH. You would have to go through the whole process, driving school, medical, visual, psychological exams, written and road teasts just like everyone else taking their first license.

Regardless of the validity period of the IDP or IADP, it can only be used for the first 180 days in Brazil.

Ok, thanks.

Why oh why did I even let myself think that THIS one may be easy versus everything else...? :)