Retirement visa

Hi folks. First time questioner.

Can anyone explain to me, step by step, the process and requirements to obtain a retirement visa? Do you need an attorney to run the paperwork, if any? Can you apply for multi-entry visa and if not is there any requirements as to how long you have to stay in Thailand throughout the year in order to keep your visa? in other words, can i leave thailand and go to other countries for three or four months at a time?

Go to the website of the Royal Embassy of Thailand in your home country. Everything is explained. requirements seems to be slightly different from one country to another. Look at the visa section. Each is described with the application process.

I am  Australian and have a multi entry retirement visa.

For the past 2 years I have spent up to 6 months each year coming and going into Thailand without any issues.

I've used an immigration agent based in Bangkok to obtain and renew my retirement visa.

I'm happy to provide his details if requested.

ps. I know I can easily renew the visa myself but chose otherwise.

@williamzumpe

Thank you for your prompt answer William,

My question is only for my initial retirement visa (for which I qualify).

•    Should I apply for it when I get to Bangkok? (in which case yes, I will need your immigration agent information)

•    Should I apply for it now online?

@bratstvo

Thank you for your prompt answer - WIll do

I used a agency for my retirement visa and multiple re-entry visa.  Is you are going to do the 800,000 deposit in a bank account then that needs to be in the bank I believe 60 days before you go to get your visa.

What I did was I applied and received my retirement visa in the morning then with that you feel out the multiple re-entry visa paperwork that you can get after you get the visa. You then stand in line if thier is any and get your visa re-entry interview in the afternoon on my day after I got my ticket number for re-entry it was posted for me to go to the immigration interview within seconds.  So no waiting but it depends on that day.

You can do everything yourself but myself and a lot of others use a agency to walk you through it and fill out the paperwork.  For us it worth the expense and nervous.

@Walnutcharles

Thank you Charles,

Was this at the Airport in Bangkok?

Are the Agencies at the airport ?

Can you tell me how much it cost?

Thank you

@mdullin53

Look on the web you will find several.

I used siam legal. 

You can email them or call them.

Work out what you will need to do and what you will qualify for.  You can pay the cost with a credit card.  I did it that way.

Some on the expat site will say they are more expensive than others.  You can fid what you want and the price you want to pay.

I like them and would recommend them.

I have meet others that that paid less. But I was not comfortable with those agencies.

Thank you CHarles,

You have been a lot of help on this subject matter

In my case: there was over 1 mil. THB in local bank waiting for the new condo to be constructed after over a year of delays. Did not bother with monkey business involving local legal junkies due to professional standing (for Australians I can verify True Copy and Commonwealth Statutory Declaration). Extra 3800 THB for annual Multiple Entry permit was paid at Immigration and renewed retirement visa for few years with just 1900 THB & 3800 THB payment of the fees + about 100-120 THB to my Bank for a letter confirming bank balance.  Regards from Pattaya