Brit with Chinese wife to settle somewhere safe and secure in Luzon ?

First post and hello to all members, perhaps you could point me in the right direction to settle somewhere in a quiet area at not an exorbitant cost.

I am an old Brit pensioner married to my Chinese wife of 14 years and have been living in China for that duration.

Do Filipinos have a problem with Chinese citizens ?

I/we need to move on and we want to retire peacefully in The Philippines and in the first instance enter on tourist visas until we find a place.

Probably only need a 60 to 100 sq mt place, 1 bed, kitchen, lounge bath etc etc, the most important thing is a safe area             .

I'm thinking Luzon and don't want the southern islands.

Any advice would be appreciated, BTW, it's snowing here at the moment, haha, enjoy the heat. Thanks

Anywhere in Bicol ,,, The Bicol Region comprises the southern part of Luzon, the largest island in the Philippine archipelago. The total land area is 5.9% of the total land area of ...

‎Legazpi, Albay · ‎Albay · ‎Camarines Sur · ‎Camarines Norte. I'm in Camarines Sur... super safe and only friendly residents.r05-in-ph.png

@petercc028

One very big problem. Only philipino citizens can buy property here and neither of you are philippines citizens. This limits you to a maximum of 3 years on tourist extensions and then have to leave and maybe come back. I don't know about Chinese citizens.

Getting citizenship not at all easy and takes, if I remember correctly, about 6 years from start to finish if lucky.

Central to north luzon is pretty good away from the cities. The North may suit better as considerably cooler compared with General M Natividad where I live. Again keep away from towns.

Just hope this is of some help

Greetings and welcome to expat.com.  The biggest problem you may have is that noncitizens may not own land.  There are certain condo projects which are allowed to sell the condo only to foreigners, but a certain percentage of said project must be Filipinos.  From what I have heard most of such projects are in and around Manila.  We are living currently in Baguio City, population 300,000, in the mountains of central Luzon.  We pay 25,000 pesos a month for a one bedroom apartmnet, electricity and wifi included.  At 55 pesos to the US dollar that is about $460/month.  Food and transportation are very cheap.  Got a kilo of boneless tuna for 400 pesos, lasted for 4 weeks.  Please ask any specific questions you may have.

Thanks for the above guys, probably should explain more clearly.

In the first instance we will visit on tourist visas from December for 3 months then we have to return to China to renew my Chinese visa for another year.

Thereafter we expect to return to PH once again and believe it may take a year or longer before we decide where to settle, at that time we will also decide on what type of visa would suit.

We own a place in China and understand we can only rent in PH, no problem.

Our ideal is not be be in a polluted city, a small country town is our preference, safely sitting on a porch having a few beers and within distance of some good beaches.

Nobody has commented on the Filipinos attitude toward Chinese, what do you think ?

Thanks again for your advice.

Probably ok for most Filipino as long as culture is respected but of course there is the South China Sea issue, and also unfavorable view of the Chinese abusing immigration laws in a land grab, that caused the laws to change, to prevent China owning the Philippines. You could get an SRRV visa that will allow retirement in Philippines, but not land ownership. Wealthy Chinese own business in Philippines, and of course most imported products are imported from China and are the low quality tier. Thats just my 2 cents

Hi and welcome to the forum to you and your wife Petercc028.

It's good to hear you want boots on the ground to get familiar with PH

Chinese decedent's are known as Chinoy here and abound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Filipino

As for foreigners living here? They put up with us and I am more comfortable here than Australia and try to keep my distance from other local expats, the locals are easier to get on with.

Both being non citizens you will be limited to the visitor visa or the SRRV route, perhaps the SIRV if you have plenty of money, citizenship last time I read will take 10 years to secure living here full time. I simply avail the visitor visa as it's painless, not expensive (around P22K per year) but I have to exit the country every 3 years,,,,, oh another holiday, time flies here.

While not sure your reasons for picking the Philippines I could only suggest that you do heaps of research both expat sites as well as google and of course boots on the ground. are you and your wife British nationals as that will make things easier.

Safe places to live are everywhere but many, myself included keep our distance from south western Mindanao though plenty live there very happily.

Wingfat suggested a great area and I have spent plenty of time there (didn't come to terms with Naga but Legazpi is pleasant) especially Caramoan but difficult for access as well that area being subject to plenty of typhoons.

We picked La Union on the west coast, 5/6 hours drive to Manila to the south but our bit of paradise on the beach in a very quiet area, close to shopping/services, a good private hospital close by, no barking dogs or crowing roosters. Better half's family 40 minutes drive away.

Ask away and tell more, the members here will help if and where they can.

In the mean time enjoy your sojourn here.

Cheers, Steve.

As others have said the local filipino don't really care what you are or where you are from. If you rub shoulders with them and have a beer or two they happy and even more be your best friend if you sing with them.

As far as location I recommend trying to stay in Northern or Central Luzon, so you will be close enough to the main BI in case you apply for more then a visitor visa.

Provence of Cavite from Muntilupa/Alabang to Tagaytay are nice, and farther out you have Baguio to Batangas, but only if you will have a car.

Many Condo choices for you everywhere but if you will not have transportation and rely mostly on taxi etc, then you need to be in Makati, BGC, Rockwell etc unless you will use the local tricycles/jeepneys, for me I would pass on those. Good Luck

There are many Chinese mainlanders (and other nationalities) living in Metro Manila, so even with the South China sea issue, being Chinese should not be a problem. If you or your wife have done something to upset them, such as cutting in front of their car or litter, of course, then your foreign nationality would be the focus.  Having said that, as a foreigner here, I still get annoyed when taxi drivers or even Grab drivers ask me where do I come from. Filipinos seem to think that once they know your nationality, they could place you (ie can understand your behavior), but it is annoying and you have to learn to live with that.

On location, I would suggest somewhere just outside Metro Manila, like Bulacan or Rizal, to get away from the pollution and traffic. True, foreigners cannot own land, but can buy condo units, and enter into superlong leases.

@petercc028

Here in St.Rosa, Binan, Latina you can find reasonable house to rent 20-40k monthly. Philipinos are open to all races as long you do not make them stress. Medical services are also very good and state of the art technology private hospital reasonable prices.

@robertegner

Laguna

Well thanks for your input , advice and suggestions gentlemen and I believe we'll start our adventure in Tagatay and wend ourselves hither and tither and try to fathom where we belong.

Matters little Peter nationality here as others have mentioned over the years. When we lived in Manila all the kids called me Joe assuming I was a US citizen, I simply waved. Here in the province I don't get that and simply accepted as a resident sharing the community and being a decent human.

Enjoy your sojourn exploring Peter.

Cheers, Steve.

Bigpearl spake:
When we lived in Manila all the kids called me Joe assuming I was a US citizen,

And then you thought to yourself: "Wow, I just got a big promotion in life".

😁

No Dan I was put in a box, (perceptions) not a promotion (definitely not, insulting even) but taken aback that anyone with fair skin was a Joe, Australian, German, English were all tarred with the US brush and domination, most here only think US and not reality.

Very sad to hear you say that Dan as you seem to have shown your true colours. Been seeing that recently.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

No Dan I was put in a box, (perceptions) not a promotion (definitely not, insulting even) but taken aback that anyone with fair skin was a Joe, Australian, German, English were all tarred with the US brush and domination, most here only think US and not reality.
Very sad to hear you say that Dan as you seem to have shown your true colours. Been seeing that recently.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Oh my gosh, I never would have thought you didn't have it in you to take what was obviously intended to be a FRIENDLY joke.

And then to escalate the issue, turning the lightheartedness into a character issue (true colors?) and you, insulting Americans by offering that you yourself were insulted to have been thought to be American...Wow this person has his nose stuck in the air. OK Steve, I get that life is too serious to be able to have a chuckle at oneself. Please let us leave this alone with no more back and forth. Ugh.

Look at your posts Dan, joke? Cynicism or stupidity  I smile here in PH. but not with fools here on this site trying to take the piss, seems pretty normal with you and other small minded people that infiltrate what is generally a good expat site.

Friendly joke? Fool. Read your attack and stop back pedaling as you seem to do constantly. Over your tripe and innuendos if you know what that word means, you lost me mate, Aussies suffer fools lightly and I put you in that box.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

i don't get some of this negativity........i'm from the USA, proud of it too, why shouldn't I be? But i get no disrespect from the people I see and/or run into. That's what i love about the Philippines. Of course there are always some bad apples, but the people i have met have been very nice. Actually they want to know more and more about the USA. They are always very curious.

And for some of those that are on a neg wavelength as to what filipinas want, they all do not want to go to America or the west. They do see the ridiculous politics. Their politics is also crazy.

But they just want to have a nice, happy life where then can make enough money to live peacefully with their family.

Look at your posts Dan, joke? Cynicism or stupidity  I smile here in PH. but not with fools here on this site trying to take the piss, seems pretty normal with you and other small minded people that infiltrate what is generally a good expat site.
Friendly joke? Fool. Read your attack and stop back pedaling as you seem to do constantly. Over your tripe and innuendos if you know what that word means, you lost me mate, Aussies suffer fools lightly and I put you in that box.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

-@bigpearl

You can call me a Pom Steve & Dan can call me a Limey - I won't be offended ;)

The saga of Joe Blow

In Manila's stinky air,

Joe Blow his with missing hair,

With Yank's around thinking lust,

Embracing life, with their dreams turning to dust.

He strolls down Burgos Street drunk and loud,

Where scents of free lancers fill the crowd.

He sips halo-halo, sweet and cold,

A story about a scam ready to unfold.

He learns Tagalog, with a special phrase,

Trying to connect with smiles and some other ways.

The thoughts of women fills his soul,

A tapestry of women whose stories unfold.

From Jeepneys  packed to the bursting seams,

With smelly people having Joe Blow dreams.

Joe Blow, the American dream was lead astray,

But found in Manila a magnificent soiree.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

-@bigpearl

You are way off your meter. I asked you not to

respond. You have made a giant mountain out of not even a molehill

I will let you have the last word.

@yiqipo.  Foreigners can own land

@phillipsearnest19

I was not aware of that.

Since when? And how ?

Foreigners are prohibited from owning land in the Philippines, but can legally own a residence. The Philippine Condominium Act allows foreigners to own condo units, as long as 60% of the building is owned by Filipinos. If you want to buy a house, consider a long-term lease agreement with a Filipino landowner.

This is the latest info.

phillipsearnest19 said . . . .  Foreigners can own land

You being in the USA and a Newbie, Better do your homework first.

google it. i just did. and i'm not in the usa.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/p … -guide.asp

phillipsearnest19 said . . . .  Foreigners can own land
You being in the USA and a Newbie, Better do your homework first.       

-@Enzyte Bob

Maybe he meant when he eventually becomes a Philippines national?

Cheers, Steve.

Steve, I guess you are right. I was just trying to offer some helpful info but i guess not. Well, good luck to that individual. I don't care to meet people like that.

@phillipsearnest19
I was not aware of that.

Since when? And how ?

-@emvaningen

Foreigners can only acquire land through hereditary succession. Very limited. From Sec 7 of Article XII of the Philippine Constitution:

"Section 7: “Save in cases of hereditary succession, no private lands shall be transferred or conveyed except to individuals, corporations, or associations qualified to acquire or hold lands of the public domain.”