Shopping for grocery/fresh produce in Ho Chi Minh?

Hi all, where do locals get their grocery from?

I'll be in Ho Chi Minh from 1-8Sept 2011, traveling solo!
it's my first time there, so tips are most welcome!

anyone would like to tell me more about your city?

email me at [email protected] :)

I'm 23 years old, any friends are welcome!

Be in VN only 1 week and you want to waste your time doing your cooking while it is dirt cheap to eat at the local restaurants. Save yourself the burden.

I have 4 places to shop for groceries in Binh Thanh District. 2 small markets, one big one, and a stroll across the bridge I like to call the "outside" market.

But I agree with Anatta, since you are here for a short visit, might as well try some of the restaurants since there are plenty to choose from.

HI there!
I don't actually want to cook myself, I just want to explore where the locals shop, because I see the Ben Thanh market suggestion everywhere when i google market in HCMC

thanks for sharing!

There's some places you cannot miss out like Notre Dame, Independence Palace, museums, pagodas in China Town, and since you're gonna be here at this time, you should try to visit the town on Luong Nhu Hoc St where they sell lanterns for Mid Autumn Festival and buy yourself some mooncake if you'd love to try :) then take a trip to Cu Chi Tunnel in one day, and visit Mekong Delta for some days. For local foods, you can try in Ben Thanh market but I also suggest Wrap and Roll Restaurant. Buy yourself and your friends some crafts in Ben Thanh market also. Visit the night market at Ben Thanh market also. it's fun and you can try some Vietnamese foods there with acceptable price. Don't miss a chance to have some fun in backpacker town on Bui Vien St. Have a great time here, friend!

thanks for sharing! :)

Try Chợ Cũ (Old market) Tôn Thất Đạm street, District 1. It's just a small market but very authentic and fresh. You can take a lot of picture there.
Then you can visit Chợ Lớn area in District 5 with a lot of lantern since it's close to Mid-autumn festival here.