Understanding Professional Regulations in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

Working in the Philippines sometimes means navigating through the various professional regulations and can pose a real challenge for expats. It is essential to grasp the current standards to avoid unpleasant surprises and make the most of your experience in the Philippines.

Let's explore the local specifics together:

Is it possible to work in all business sectors in the Philippines? Are there sectors reserved for locals or regulated activities?

What administrative steps need to be taken to practice in regulated professions in the Philippines? (required documents, language tests, certifications, accreditations, diploma equivalences, etc.)

How to stay informed about legal developments and new professional regulations in the Philippines?

Which organizations or agencies can provide support to expats regarding their professional activities abroad?

By sharing your experiences, you contribute to easing the professional integration of future expats, helping them understand the specific regulations related to professions in the Philippines.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

I'm curious what experience people have had. I'm thinking of helping a Filipino friend get a local company going... But not for free 😜. Not sure what's the best way to be involved.

@bizwizard

If its a Filipina you could always barter..

I'm curious what experience people have had. I'm thinking of helping a Filipino friend get a local company going... But not for free 😜. Not srasure what's the best way to be involved.estau

-@bizwizard

Are you talking about a business that Iinvolves professional regulation? Unless your friend wants to go into business under some professional license like medical, legal or engineering, that is not the question at hand. Opening a bar or restaurant does not apply. Opening a chiropractic clinic would. In between we have massage parlors and other licensed activities like manicure and cosmetology. Does the business he is considering involve a professional license?

@bizwizard........ I tried to research about opening an LLC in the Philippines for over a year now. It is really hard to find reliable and accurate information. I am not motivated to get assistance from a lawyer since it shouldn't be that complicated.

Best way is to approach those who are already running business similar to what you're planning to do.

@Jackson4 The only thing is that LLC, which does require a professional attorney to set up, could refer to any business whether covered by a professional license or not.

An interesting topic and one I never want to explore here, the locals have no idea the requirements and many have no idea how to run it once if ever set up correctly, as a foreigner I'm sure far more difficult if one want to do the right.

A fellow member Coach that we haven't seen for awhile is very up to speed with the crap and difficulties navigating the stupidity to set up the legalities. Perhaps he will chime in?

I have my family trust and company set up in Australia over 25 years ago and was pretty easy where my income is derived and the last thing I would ever consider is trying to set up and invest money in the Philippines, the hurdles are too high and the hoops too small and generally investors here have little to no idea the legal ramifications let alone running a successful business, perhaps why the oligarchs continue to hold power as they do in many countries.

My better half has had a few good ideas over the years sprouting 30/40% returns until I sit him down and go through the legalities, tax implications, maintenance, insurance, depreciation and equipment replacement and all the obnoxious legalities at all levels that go with it.

His latest one is online motorbike parts.

It's bad enough building here or trying to get your rubbish collected, we all know the story well, those of us that live here.

For me? Not interested in business legalities here. TOO HARD.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Big Pearl blurted:

...My better half has had a few good ideas over the years sprouting 30/40% returns until I sit him down and go through the legalities, tax implications, maintenance, insurance, depreciation and equipment replacement and all the obnoxious legalities at all levels that go with it.
His latest one is online motorbike parts.

It's bad enough building here or trying to get your rubbish collected, we all know the story well, those of us that live here.

For me? Not interested in business legalities here. TOO HARD.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

We need to keep in mind the very limited scope that the OP is covering :

"What administrative steps need to be taken to practice in regulated professions in the Philippines? (required documents, language tests, certifications, accreditations, diploma equivalences, etc.)"

For example, I am a professional engineer in the USA. If I wanted to go into business here, what might I experience in terms of licensure and professional regulation? Is it even possible for me to open a professional engineering consulting practice or is that reserved for Philippine citizens? I personally think most professionals here are retired and have little incentive to practice here because 1) We do not wish to go to work again and 2) the fees received here are pennies on the dollar compared to where we come from. I may be reading the OPs post wrong in thinking it focuses on the narrow topic of professional regulation issues but I don't think so.

R

Bigpearl blurted? Come on Dan read the OP.

"Let's explore the local specifics together:

Is it possible to work in all business sectors in the Philippines? Are there sectors reserved for locals or regulated activities?"

OMO but no matter the business whether "professional or a simple Sari store" There are laws to govern the qualifications as well as running a successful business correctly.

I see you took "professionally" too literally and for me I read the headliner "understanding professional regulations in the Philippines"

Simply the law/s related to conducting business here in PH legally. Be it a doctor or small business, the laws should be followed.

Perhaps I'm reading the OP in the wrong way but the OP also stated:

"Working in the Philippines sometimes means navigating through the various professional regulations and can pose a real challenge for expats. It is essential to grasp the current standards to avoid unpleasant surprises and make the most of your experience in the Philippines.

To me professional regulations means the law administered by government instrumentalities.

Perhaps the OP can clarify the wording/meaning as we seem to have a different take.

Cheers, Steve.

Big Pearl illucidated:

blurted? Come on Dan read the OP.

"Let's explore the local specifics together:

Is it possible to work in all business sectors in the Philippines? Are there sectors reserved for locals or regulated activities?"

OMO but no matter the business whether "professional or a simple Sari store" There are laws to govern the qualifications as well as running a successful business correctly.

I see you took "professionally" too literally and for me I read the headliner "understanding professional regulations in the Philippines"

Simply the law/s related to conducting business here in PH legally. Be it a doctor or small business, the laws should be followed.

Perhaps I'm reading the OP in the wrong way but the OP also stated:
"Working in the Philippines sometimes means navigating through the various professional regulations and can pose a real challenge for expats. It is essential to grasp the current standards to avoid unpleasant surprises and make the most of your experience in the Philippines.

To me professional regulations means the law administered by government instrumentalities.

Perhaps the OP can clarify the wording/meaning as we seem to have a different take.

Cheers, Steve.

No, to me it the intent here is to pretty narrowly focus on licensed professional activities, not that the topic could not evolve later into non-professional. By coincidence I just ran across a FB post in Siquijor Forum that might apply to this discussion though the poster isn't even thinking about licensing:

"Civil Engineer Available???

I need someone who knows AutoCAD and who can make alterations and add a page into a water and Fire Sprinkler plans???"

Each to their own Dan we have obviously interpreted the OP at different levels, as said in my previous post perhaps the OP could clarify the actual meaning of the post so we can move on.

Cheers, Steve.

Each to their own Dan we have obviously interpreted the OP at different levels, as said in my previous post perhaps the OP could clarify the actual meaning of the post so we can move on.
Cheers, Steve

I doubt OP will clarify because that would be too easy. I swear these people like to watch the confusion lol. So it is like modern art, we interpret it however suits us best 😂

The OP is one of our moderators so I'm sure she will clarify so we are all on the same page.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl

The OP is one of our moderators

Miss her pic.

Perhaps miss my point?

Cheers, Steve.

Hello everyone,

The OP is an admin of Expat.com and we regularly launch these general topics on all forums (english speaking/french speaking and Italian).

These questions are open for discussion and are elaborated from recurrent topics we have come across on our Expat.com forums (global).

This one in particular is aimed towards providing working professionals looking to take up a job or settle in Philippines with up to date info about professional regulations in Philippines.

These questions are "open-ended" so that everyone can share their own opinions and experience.

Thank you in advance

Regards

Bhavna

Hello everyone,
The OP is an admin of Expat.com and we regularly launch these general topics on all forums (english speaking/french speaking and Italian).
These questions are open for discussion and are elaborated from recurrent topics we have come across on our Expat.com forums (global).

This one in particular is aimed towards providing working professionals looking to take up a job or settle in Philippines with up to date info about professional regulations in Philippines.

These questions are "open-ended" so that everyone can share their own opinions and experience.

Thank you in advance
Regards
Bhavna

-@Bhavna

Thank you for clarifying and that is exactly what I thought the topic was.

Steve, please take note😂

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance
Regards
Bhavna

-@Bhavna

Thanks for taking time out from your 4 day analysis of Spanish American War (diary) to clarify this thread.

@danfinn

Noted Dan and my misinterpretation "professional regulations".

Cheers, Steve. 

When I posted, I was curious about the question,

"Is it possible to work in all business sectors in the Philippines? Are there sectors reserved for locals or regulated activities?

Which did not seem to apply to licensed professions.

Maybe that's a different topic, but it would seem to be a broader one, of more general interest. I have no desire to work in my CA-licensed profession here, but I'm still entrepreneurial....