Barclays Premier League

Hey guys, I'll be relocating over to Ho Chi Minh starting from next Thurs (1st Sept '11).

I was watching the match between Sunderland and Newcastle last weekend when several questions hit me:

1) Vietnam is a football mad country so I assume 'Live' telecasts of BPL matches are the norm - is this correct?

2) My landlord is getting cable TV for me. Which channels are the BPL telecasts on, so that I can make sure she gets the right channels for me. ESPN? Star Sports?

Any help would be extremely helpful... ... :)

I don't know why, but ESPN/Star Sports doesn't air EPL/BPL anymore for whatever reason.  I'd love to watch a match that's not a replay or in Vietnamese, so I'm curious about which stations I need as well.

ESPN and Star occasionally show them, but most are streamed via the internet.
The reason for that is the current tv station(I forget there name at the moment) that owns the rights to show live games here has priced themselves out of the market so no other providers are taking up the subscriptions

laidbackfreak wrote:

ESPN and Star occasionally show them, but most are streamed via the internet.
The reason for that is the current tv station(I forget there name at the moment) that owns the rights to show live games here has priced themselves out of the market so no other providers are taking up the subscriptions

so does that mean that i can't even subscribe for BPL match telecasts because the providers are opting out of the BPL subscriptions?????

this is terrible... ... :mad:

Not entirely sure if an individual can subscribe or not. However the games are shown around town in the various sports bars. I've not missed any of the games I want to see :) Aside from the late kick offs or Monday night games, but that's due to me being to tired to stay up for them.

laidbackfreak wrote:

Not entirely sure if an individual can subscribe or not. However the games are shown around town in the various sports bars. I've not missed any of the games I want to see :) Aside from the late kick offs or Monday night games, but that's due to me being to tired to stay up for them.

that's reassuring, laidbackfreak. at least i know that i can still catch Newcastle on the screens.
I would still like to be able to apply for the right channels on my cable tv at my apartment which would allow me to catch the matches... ... any help from anyone?

Kenn you a toon fan ?? that's my home town ad I loved the game on Sat.. me and a few friends enjoyed the game, the only Sunderland fan in the pub soon left sheepishly... :D
I'll ask around and see if I can some more clarity for the channels.

I'm an Everton fan.  I'm going to withhold judgment until about Week 10, but if game 1 was any indicator, I may not want to watch any BPL this season!

laidbackfreak wrote:

Kenn you a toon fan ?? that's my home town ad I loved the game on Sat.. me and a few friends enjoyed the game, the only Sunderland fan in the pub soon left sheepishly... :D
I'll ask around and see if I can some more clarity for the channels.

I'm a huge fan of the Magpies.
In fact, i'm such a fan that I'm a fully paid up member of the Official Newcastle United fan club (don't ask me why... I still can't figure it out. I paid for a membership where I can't make use of the benefits and privileges). I'm also one of the pioneer members of the Newcastle Singapore supporters club - when I told the lads that I'm heading to HCM, their reaction was, "Set up a NUFC Vietnam as soon as I arrive :D

I lost my voice shouting at the ref last Sat, as if it made an iota of difference. Howard Webb's a sad mackem b@stard. :lol:

Can't wait to meet up with you for a Newcastle match soon!

joeysmith wrote:

I'm an Everton fan.  I'm going to withhold judgment until about Week 10, but if game 1 was any indicator, I may not want to watch any BPL this season!

Tough luck last weekend, mate...
But on the bright side, you guys travel to Blackburn this weekend. 3 easy points up for grabs, buddy :D

But on the bright side, you guys travel to Blackburn this weekend. 3 easy points up for grabs, buddy big_smile

Ha!  Here's hoping.  That's how I felt about QPR... Oh, Everton, and their traditionally slow starts.

hi Ken,

Advanced welcome to you!

There's this channel SCTV14 or 15 that airs PL matches... But it has been hugely disappointing as most are not aired. So watch on internet.

Another way is watching at the coffeeshops. Some of this joints air live matches.

Btw, a group of Singaporean lad plays soccer every Tuesday. Let me know if you're keen to join.

Cheers,
Andrew 09 0324 5537

Alamak, K plus Cable tv provider screen EPL games live on 3 different channels simultaneously what! But I am based in Binh Duong, just 24 km outside of Saigon. They install satellite dish on my rooftop, super clear HD reception. Cheers!

andrewong2024 wrote:

hi Ken,

Advanced welcome to you!

There's this channel SCTV14 or 15 that airs PL matches... But it has been hugely disappointing as most are not aired. So watch on internet.

Another way is watching at the coffeeshops. Some of this joints air live matches.

Btw, a group of Singaporean lad plays soccer every Tuesday. Let me know if you're keen to join.

Cheers,
Andrew 09 0324 5537

Hi Andrew!!!
Oh no... ... :(
Soccer playing? Sounds interesting!!!! But I have to say first - i'm a terrible player leh... ... :P

FYI you can watch all the premier league games at The Tavern in Phu My Hung.

kriminalk wrote:

ooohh thanks for the tip!
if i really can't get matches on my cable tv, i'll have no choice but to pop down to The Tavern in PMH.
Is it near Sky Garden?

kenmura wrote:
kriminalk wrote:

ooohh thanks for the tip!
if i really can't get matches on my cable tv, i'll have no choice but to pop down to The Tavern in PMH.
Is it near Sky Garden?

All depends on where your living, but there are loads of bars in D1 that show the matches.

Good win for our boys yesterday, still need to bring in a couple of key players if Ashley will put his hand in his pocket for them! But at least the current crop are doing the job.

Some interesting result in the other games too. I though Man City did a good job, till I saw the Man Utd score! Gunners worst defeat since 1896! Nice to see Swansea hold Sunderland to a draw.
And Everton got a win :-)

All in all a pretty good weekend :)

yes near sky garden.

R2-24 Hung Gia 3, Bui Bang Doan St

kriminalk wrote:

yes near sky garden.

R2-24 Hung Gia 3, Bui Bang Doan St

Thanks for the info, buddy! :)

kenmura wrote:
andrewong2024 wrote:

hi Ken,

Advanced welcome to you!

Cheers,
Andrew 09 0324 5537

Hi Andrew!!!
Oh no... ... :(
Soccer playing? Sounds interesting!!!! But I have to say first - i'm a terrible player leh... ... :P

No worries... we are all old legs... just play to sweat it out and hang out with the guys. Text me when you arrive in HCMC =)

hey y'all,

i should be arriving in HCMC in a month or so, and i'm definitely down for some EPL-watching and football/soccer-playing, please count me in for whatever activities you guys are planning! On an unrelated note, are there any organized amateur soccer tournaments in HCMC like in the US? Smth like this: corporateleague.com/soccer/

Cheers,
K

Hi guys,

You can watch all the EPL football matches LIVE using both HTVC n SCTV cable ONLY ON SATURDAYS!!

K+ is the only cable that EXCLUSIVELY airs LIVE EPL matches on SUNDAYS in the entire Viet Nam. To b able to watch the games on Sundays, you either pay money to get the channel at home or go to the some coffee shops ;)

All the best.

Stephanie & Jessica.

By the way, I can watch those games on Starsports with quite good speed.

Thanks for the info, Stephanie!  I'll have to talk to my landlord about picking up that channel.  Also, do you mean you can watch the games on Starsports website?  I didn't know they streamed the games live on their site.

Not exactly on Star Sports website. I've got several links to watch live football matches, and some of them, which air about one minute later than the actual games but with rather good speed, are marked as "Start Sports Live". I suppose it's a pirate broadcast? :rolleyes:

That works.  I'll keep an eye out for those.  Gotta do what you gotta do!

Yup, it's my only option. The coffee shops are too much filled with smoke which makes me cough constantly during the games, and that disturbs everybody around :/

Cheers!
Have a nice holiday :)

Yea, I can't do the smoke much either.  Plus, it's hard to find a place where I can sit and watch Everton give me a heart attack week in and week out.  Enjoy your holiday!

stephanie4942 wrote:

Hi guys,

You can watch all the EPL football matches LIVE using both HTVC n SCTV cable ONLY ON SATURDAYS!!

K+ is the only cable that EXCLUSIVELY airs LIVE EPL matches on SUNDAYS in the entire Viet Nam. To b able to watch the games on Sundays, you either pay money to get the channel at home or go to the some coffee shops ;)

All the best.

Stephanie & Jessica.

Hi Stephanie,
thanks for the info!
This is wonderful news - I have HTVC cable in my apartment and it's a saturday today - so which channel are the matches on? Star Sports?

Hi Ken,

I don't think BPL is playing this weekend, right?

Anyway, normally, on Saturdays, you can watch the live games on Star Sports, ESPN. If you don't mind the Vietnamese commentators, you can only find the games on HTVC The Thao, Bong da TV, HTV2 and many other Vietnamese channels.
Just turn your TV on and keep on switching the channels until you find the live games. There are more than 5 channels in HTVC cable that air BPL games on Saturdays, so don't worry, you won't have to switch much :D

stephanie4942 wrote:

Hi Ken,

I don't think BPL is playing this weekend, right?

Anyway, normally, on Saturdays, you can watch the live games on Star Sports, ESPN. If you don't mind the Vietnamese commentators, you can only find the games on HTVC The Thao, Bong da TV, HTV2 and many other Vietnamese channels.
Just turn your TV on and keep on switching the channels until you find the live games. There are more than 5 channels in HTVC cable that air BPL games on Saturdays, so don't worry, you won't have to switch much :D

Silly me... In the excitment of moving, I forgot that there aren't any matches on this weekend... :lol: