The importance of local language in Malaysia

Hey everyone,

As an expat, language questions often arise due to the need to communicate effectively in a new country. We're curious to read your experiences with learning and using the local language in Malaysia.

Here are some questions to get started:

What is the local language spoken in Malaysia? Did you learn and use it? How difficult was it to learn?

Are there any resources or services available to help expats learn the local language? What are your tips?

What is the dominant language in the business environment? Have you had to conduct business meetings in the local language?

How does language proficiency contribute to understanding the local culture? Are there any specific cultural nuances or expressions that expats should be aware of?

How important is the local language for daily tasks such as shopping, transport, health and other services in Malaysia?

Let's share tips and advice on how to improve language skills and integrate into a new environment.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

English is the main language.  As a teacher it never ceased to amaze me how many Chinese or Indian Malaysians can't speak more than very basic Malay. 

Often in middle class areas even Malays speak English more often than not more often.

Totally different to Indonesia where Indonesian version of Malay is essential.

Hello Nemodot,

Thank you for your contribution. 1f601.svg

If I may ask, what is your own level of Malay?

How long have you been living in Malaysia now?

Cheers,

Cheryl

There are 3 major local languages as I know. Each of the major races Malay, Tamil and Chinese speak their own languages. But, Malay is spoken by all 3 races, so we can say it is the common language here.

Malay is probably one of the easier languages to learn. If one can learn the basics then it will be easier to read and understand. Speaking Malay, like other languages, comes by practice.

I am in working in IT, so everyone communicates in English and the business meetings are held in English too.

The expression that I can say everyone should be aware of is the use of 'la' at the end of each of the lines that is spoken.

People can survive with English in most of the places, but some places like Village, mechanical workshops it is difficult without knowing local language.

It is always important for an expat to learn the local language to mingle with local people and understand their culture. I know people working in restaurants speaking the local language fluently, so the best way to learn any language is trying to speak without hesitation and inhibition.

@Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

You have chosen a nice, non controversial subject to keep us going in these rather troubling and disappointing times, vis a vis where exactly we are on the whole issue of how MM2H is morphing into a seemingly strange beast of many, many jewelled faces at different prices...

But this is not a post about all that Platinum, Gold and Silver stuff!

No. That's for another time - but soon, I hope.

Sure. We all want to know where our futures will be spent - at least in terms of a stable roof over our heads for a few golden years, not too expensive - (because I speak as a retiree who simply cannot increase my earnings) in this lovely, warm and friendly country.

So, on to the local language and how it impacts us in terms of the local culture.

Well, let me begin a little controversially. Yes, even language can be controversial!

Yes, I feel OK about it because, as readers may have worked out from my other posts, I have has a very long association with the then Malaya, ie pre-independence and then the independent Malaysia afterwards. Therefore, even before the Silver Hair scheme; yes, I am quite an oldie...

So, what is the controversy?

I shall concentrate on just one main example.

Well, this is one of those rare countries where, if you want to be understood correctly, then you will need to repeat yourself a few times. I am not sure why this is.

I do not find the same experience in the many other countries I have visited.

It is not from a lack of knowledge of the vocabulary, I am certain. Well, sometimes maybe, but not most of the time. It may be lack of listening skills perhaps, but not likely on such a large scale.

It is certainly not lack of the knowledge of the language because it is necessary to do this repetition I spoke about whichever language you use - usually English, of course, with most us expats. Or even in Bahasa (Malay) if you feel competent enough. No, let me correct that: it is a peculiarity of the listening LOCAL folk, ie if the waiter is very likely to be of Malay, Chinese or Indian origin. Or indeed from one of the neighbouring countries, eh Myanmar, Cambodia, Nepal and the like.

If, by chance, the person you are addressing in NOT a local Malaysian, eg at any foreign embassy, then what I am saying does not apply. But it can apply at many government establishments too.

Confusing? I don't blame you!

Let me give you an example. An everyday scenario for any of us, I dare say.

So, you go to a coffee shop for breakfast. Any one of these excellent, iconic coffee sops you would find anywhere in Malaysia. Not with just one team of staff, but with possibly six or seven stall holders in the same space, with their own type of food and drink and waiting staff.

So, you order a cup of tea. Simple.

No. Not here.

It would be if it was in London, Frankfurt or New York, for example.

You would probably say, pointing to the menu, "I would like No 3 on the menu please, the hot English breakfast tea with milk and sugar on the side". That's it.

And it would appear on your table, as you ordered.

But here, in a Malaysian 'coffee shop' where there is more than likely no menu, you would have to answer a whole heap of questions about whether you want it hot or cold or with ice, in a cup or a glass, with or with our sugar (and if you want sugar, how much), 'tarek' (frothy) or not, ie pulled or not, strong or weak, with or without milk. Forget about English breakfast tea or Dargeeling or Orange Pekoe etc. Not in a Malaysian coffee shop!

Well, the other option could be Chinese tea or Green tea. Or Spicey (Marsala) tea!!

Woe betide of you do not make yourself clear because, if you do not, you will get the wrong cup of tea laid before you! I know. I have had that happen to me many times - even now after all these years.

So, do not feel shy about repeating your order, slowly and clearly. Some waiters will actually do that themselves, which is often very helpful.

Sorry to have gone on about this seemingly simple daily routine, but I have so often had to warn my visitors, usually new to the country.

I do not mean to demean any local person in what I have said. It is quite simply an observation that I myself have experienced over the years.

Culture is special, very special. No one is to blame. It simply evolved. And we have to adapt. Simple.

I could give you numerous examples of my own experience.

Even last week.

I ordered a 'thosai' (Indian rice pancake) with fish curry gravy and coconut chutney.

That arrived OK, but there was an additional item that I had not ordered; Sambar (an Indian vegetarian lentil curry). Why? Culture?

I ordered a 'Teh Tarek Aliya' (frothy tea with milk and root ginger flavour).

I was served with a Marsala (Spicey) Tea. Don't know why.

I could go on with the food disasters; too numerous to write here.

More generally, as far as language is concerned, you will be able to live quite comfortably with a basic grasp of Bahasa (Malay) and of course English. It is widely spoken here. Some people wonder why this is not the case in Indonesia, for example. Quite simply, Malaya was a British Colony but Indonesia was never British. Dutch, yes.

Go out and join the locals. Sit at the same table with them.  Listen, try out a few words. You will surprise yourself. Bahasa is not a difficult language; like Chinese. Maybe even Tamil.

Talk to the security staff, shop staff, transport operators. I think you will be received in a friendly fashion. But equally, use English. That could flatter them!

Please treat what I have written lightly - almost tongue in cheek, but not quite, if you get my meaning.

You also asked about nuances, Cheryl.

That's a whole new ball game.

Can I get back to you?