Residency letter post SEF appointment

Hello everyone,

I got done with my SEF appointment in March and got the Residency letter from SEF. The residency card was to be mailed to my address in Lisbon, but I had to travel out of the country due to my dad's medical situation back home. I have still not received the card yet.

I have the Residency letter with me, but not the resident card. Would that be enough for me to travel back into Portugal from outside Schengen area? Or would applying for a schengen visa be recommended?

Please advice.

My wife had the same situation recently. We were advised by our lawyer that it would be fine to travel by car/ train across the border but passport control at the airport may create an issue with letting you in if you don't have the residency card.

I have also heard of many people having no problem getting through before getting the card so it seems unclear. I'm not familiar with the Schengen visa.

If flying you should also check with your airline as they are responsible to return you to your departure location if you are refused entry so may have some rules about accepting/not accepting passengers with incomplete paperwork.

@nac25 Your wife traveled into Portugal from outside Eurozone?

@Strontium Thank you, that's a good idea. I'll check with them.