Leaving Schengen while UDI family reunification case is processing

I am waiting for UDI to process my family reunification case. My wife is Norwegian and recently took up a job in Norway, but we lived together in an EEA country and are applying via the EU/EEA scheme. We moved to Norway together and have been here for around 4 months. My UDI application was submitted 6 months ago (via a foreign embassy before we moved).

My question is: how big of a risk are we taking if we leave Norway (and Schengen) before I have my residence card? I have a NZ passport, which allows me "automatic" entry into Schengen for 90 days out of 180 days. My concern, however, is that I might face trouble with reentry because I am not a tourist, won't have a return flight, and in any case, I don't want to lie about why I am entering. So I would tell them that I am awaiting a family reunification case in Norway, but I simply don't know whether that will cause problems with entry into Schengen. We will be travelling there and back via Copenhagen, so Norway won't be my first point of entry to Schengen. I will be travelling with my Norwegian wife.

Hope that somebody has tried this or heard of a case like it or knows of a more "official" source that I could ask. I know UDI advises against travelling out while a case is being processed, but I'm not sure if that is advice directed mostly towards people who can't enter Schengen without applying for a visa beforehand.

(The context is to visit family but I don't think this should affect anything.)

I advise you do not travel out of Norway or schengen if you do not have a valid schengen re entry visa.

If you travel out of Norway/Schengen first you have to explain why you have stayed over three months if so and when you come back have to wait three months out (if you have still not got a positive answer from UDI and if yes how much that might help ) before you can enter inn again.

You should get an answer soon there is 6 months standard waiting time if that has past you have to call and ask for explanation.

Do not leave the country ever till you get your answer. Its not about your feree entrance its about number of staying days. And its a issue almost for all countries. The country border rules.