Civil or spousal Irish passport

Hi there everybody

we have been trying to find info on my partner getting a Irish passport.. I'm on a Irish passport she's from Glasgow.. we want to get married but that's not what's in question here..!! Really want to know how she can get a Irish passport & what are the options.. some have said to us you need to stay in Ireland 1 year some say 3 years there's to many untruths and mixed stories

tried calling and asking the embassy they not really forthcoming my god it's it valid question..!!we currently live in the UK but really want to go back to Europe we not interested in living in Ireland long term my fiancé has a ailments and the damp cold weather is a real problem but obviously we don't have a problem if we really need to short term..!!

many thanks hope we can shed some light on this question please

have a nice day everyone

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Shouldn't be a problem. Assuming your wife is a UK citizen with a UK passport, the Common Travel Area agreement (link) between the UK and Ireland, gives her the right to travel and live in Ireland. Once there, after 3 years, she can apply for Irish citizenship via Naturalisation; details are on the Irish Government Citizens Information website; this link will take you straight to it.

I should add, your partner has no right to Irish citizenship because she is married to you; Irish law requires her to physically live in Ireland.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic

appreciate the reply, just to clarify that we have to be married and that civil partnership is not sufficient..!!?

Hi again.

My understanding is that she can do it all by herself, her UK passport is all she needs and her relationship to you has nothing to do with it. The Common Travel Agreement gets her into Ireland, and then after 3 years of living there, she can apply for Irish citizenship and an Irish passport, she does not have to surrender her UK passport.

As you have an Irish passport, if you want to emigrate to the European mainland, your wife/partner has the right to accompany you, her status as a British citizen is largely irrelevant as far as passports are concerned. This is about your rights as an EU citizen. You haven't said which country with better weather, but we have individual country forums for all of them, go and ask around in those.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

p.s. - I've removed your duplicate post from the Ireland forum.

@Cynic

most European countries have better weather than Ireland.. but more likely France or Austria..

thank you so much for your info much appreciated