Fines for car registered bg

A bit of a long story..but hoping someone can help. We had a motorhome registered in BG where we had lived for three years. Drove it back on Bulgarian plates to UK. Continued driving it for a few weeks in UK as we were going back. But our house in BG was burned down all documents etc burned in fire. We stayed in UK and rented somewhere as we had nowhere to return to..sold the motorhome as it broke down and without any document for spare parts to an old guy who was going to take the parts he needed and scrap the rest. That's that we thought 🤔 Still have a company and have been paying house taxes in BG ever since so up to date. BUT I have been tipped off by a dear friend that we owe car tax on the vehicle as we never deregistered it. I think it's about 450leva ATM so nothing too much..but question is what should I do? If the debt grows obviously I will be in trouble..I have no record of  the vehicle in UK or Bulgaria I don't even remember the reg. It's just a blunder on my part which I need to tidy up for my own peace of mind. Any advice?

@Mollygiz Hi

Regarding your motorhome you really need the number plates and talon to pay your tax , to do this you need to redeem the plates . If the vehicle is scrapped could you not retrieve the plates?

We had a car parked up for two years at our house in BG  but cos we have the plates we paid the taxes on it and all is good. Hope I've been some sort of help for you .

Debbie

Contact a friend or local lawyer to act on your behalf, the municipality will have your vehicle details, maybe you/they can explain and even prove how long it has been out of Bulgaria, and avoid paying some of the taxes, or at least find out how to stop further taxes accruing.

It might be that you need to deregister/export it, since it was scrapped in U.K. and that would be the end of it. In the same way as we sold our U.K. plated car in BG, I should have contacted DVLA to permanently export it, (haven't quite got round to it yet) but since we could SORN online I'm not sure it even matters as I know it has been put on BG plates.

@dhinchliffe.1961

Thanks for your reply. No plates no anything. It was over 7 years ago now. I only found out about it recently and it is really playing on my mind. I hate being debt to anyone and being in the UK trying to do anything in BG is a drama with the language translation and money transfers.

Appreciate your time to read and try to help.

@HelenDinBG

Yes maybe I need a trip over to sort it out. After 7 years back in the UK I am sort of ready to move back to BG again ..so may be a big temptation to stay a bit longer than I should 😆 

Coming to Bg always includes the temptation to stay longer!

I hope you can get the problem sorted out. I've seen other members here with similar issues - unless the KAT is notified the vehicle's been exported, they keep charging tax.

I need someone's help ASAP please 🙏

@Abi19555

Hello, what is your question ? How can we help ?

Regards

Bhavna