Dutch Citizen + UK Partner Moving to NL from UK Simultaneously

Hello All,

First post here so hello first of all!

I suspect this cannot be the first time this has come up but despite searching I haven't found anything specific to this situation, however please do point me in that direction if I've missed it.

Our situation is that I am British and my partner (of several years) is Dutch, we live together in London and both have jobs with British employers. We would like to move to the Netherlands to live and work permanently in the next 1-2 years.

I believe it should be straightforward for me to get a spousal/partner visa, and as I understand it there wouldn't be any additional requirements for me once that is done. However, from what I am reading it seems like it may be the case that my partner already needs to be employed in the Netherlands in order to sponsor my spousal/partner visa? Is this correct or is there a way in which we can both move to NL from the UK simultaneously without my partner already being employed in NL?

There is a separate question about the potential to continue our employment with our respective UK companies whilst living in NL but that would be secondary. If anybody is aware of the possibility of working for UK-based companies whilst being resident in NL (either for a Dutch citizen or partner of Dutch citizen) that would be of interest.

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone (David),

Please note that I have removed some posts from your thread. They seemed off-topic here. Perhaps an error.

I hope members will guide you soon.

All the best

Bhavna

Hello All,
First post here so hello first of all!

I suspect this cannot be the first time this has come up but despite searching I haven't found anything specific to this situation, however please do point me in that direction if I've missed it.

Our situation is that I am British and my partner (of several years) is Dutch, we live together in London and both have jobs with British employers. We would like to move to the Netherlands to live and work permanently in the next 1-2 years.

I believe it should be straightforward for me to get a spousal/partner visa, and as I understand it there wouldn't be any additional requirements for me once that is done. However, from what I am reading it seems like it may be the case that my partner already needs to be employed in the Netherlands in order to sponsor my spousal/partner visa? Is this correct or is there a way in which we can both move to NL from the UK simultaneously without my partner already being employed in NL?

There is a separate question about the potential to continue our employment with our respective UK companies whilst living in NL but that would be secondary. If anybody is aware of the possibility of working for UK-based companies whilst being resident in NL (either for a Dutch citizen or partner of Dutch citizen) that would be of interest.

Thanks in advance!
-@David_1855

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You will need to apply for a residence permit; the Dutch Government (IND) website has all the details; this link will take you straight to it.

As you go through it, you will see that there is an income requirement and that will almost certainly require your wife (as your sponsor) to have a job.  Probably your best advice is to get your wife to contact the IND and talk it through with them; contact details are at this link.

My only additional comment is with regard to your working for a UK-based employer; it's doable but is not easy.  If you work for a UK-based company, then you will have a work contract that complies with UK law and things like taxes, and national insurance payments are sorted at source.  There is a double taxation treaty in place between UK/NL which means you won't be taxed twice on your income, however, the Dutch tax system is very different to that in the UK and they have social taxes which fall outside of the tax treaty; you will be liable for these additional taxes if you are resident in the Netherlands.  There are also healthcare issues; you don't pay directly for the NHS in the UK, but the Dutch have both employer and employee-funded schemes where you both pay; if you are not resident in the UK, then you will no longer be able to call upon the NHS for their service.

The Dutch Government don't have a specific reference regarding this; the best I could find is at this link.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Bhavna

How is the removed post off topic.

Partner is a Dutch citizen.

He is non EU

For him to live in NL He needs to pass the language test as a Non EU

this is because the partner is from Netherlands!

National law applies in this case or they can exercise their EU rights and come in, through another EU country.

You cannot exercise your eu rights while in your home country

If his partner is from another EU country, then perfect. They will exercise their EU rights in directly in NL and residency will be that easy.

if he needs a VISA ( which I doubt he needs), it will be difficult.

You can remove the post again if you want to.

@Bhavna
How is the removed post off topic.

Partner is a Dutch citizen.

He is non EU

For him to live in NL He needs to pass the language test as a Non EU

this is because the partner is from Netherlands!

National law applies in this case or they can exercise their EU rights and come in, through another EU country.

You cannot exercise your eu rights while in your home country

If his partner is from another EU country, then perfect. They will exercise their EU rights in directly in NL and residency will be that easy.
if he needs a VISA ( which I doubt he needs), it will be difficult.

You can remove the post again if you want to.
-@Guurl

Hi again.

it was probably off topic as it was talking about cross border working from Belgium.

UK Citizens with British passport do not need to pass the integration language exam.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@David_1855 Hi David, we might be able to assist with some aspects. We are able to employ you in a NL registered company (fully NEN 4400-01certified) and "second" you to your UK employer. That way you become fully NL tax compliant and receives a NL pay slip which makes life easier in terms of applying for a NL home loan etc. We take care of the NL employee taxes and social benefit contributions. If you earn above a certain threshold you might also benefit from the "30% ruling". I can be reached at [link moderated]. Jan

Moderated by Mickael last year
Reason : No ads please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@David_1855 Hi David, we might be able to assist with some aspects. We are able to employ you in a NL registered company (fully NEN 4400-01certified) and "second" you to your UK employer. That way you become fully NL tax compliant and receives a NL pay slip which makes life easier in terms of applying for a NL home loan etc. We take care of the NL employee taxes and social benefit contributions. If you earn above a certain threshold you might also benefit from the "30% ruling". I can be reached at [link under review]. Jan
-@jmbosch

General comment; these companies do exist, I almost used one until my UK company saw how much they were charging to provide this service; in the end, it was cheaper for them to pay for my relocation.

So, proceed with caution.  NEN 4400-01certification means they have audited procedures in dealing with the subject matter (i.e. payment of taxes and social insurance contributions and the legitimacy of employment in the Netherlands).  As a former Regulator, I would expect this and if your boss is going to use them, they should physically check that the service provided is what is required and will be paying for.

Jan - I suggest you place an advert for your services in our Services Section above; we do not allow adverts on the open Forum.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic All good, my apologies I will place an ad. And yes the services do come at a cost to the employer. But often that's worth it for the employers to retain the services of employees who relocate. And beneficial to the employee because life is easier in NL if you work for a NL employer.

Hi all,

Many thanks for the useful replies, especially @Cynic - much appreciated.

My partner is going to contact the IND as suggested, it will be extremely frustrating if she does need to have an NL based job before we can even apply for my residence permit - this will likely mean we need to live separately for at least a couple of months. This must happen to a lot of people (essentially any couple comprising Dutch + non-EU partner living together outside of EU and wanting to move to NL), thankfully we don't have children which would complicated things even further.

I'll explore the possibilities re: continuing to work for my UK company as well, thanks for the further info on that too.

David