Latest news on visas

Significant points about the proposed Visa law changes (a part of this official government release) include a phrase that translates as evisas for all nations, so it appears from that reading that the list of eligible countries for evisas will no longer be limited to 80.
(link)

Also the translation I get from Google indicates that both single entry and multiple entry visas will be available.

Definitely a 90-day maximum limit on those tourist visas (edited)

Remember as I make these comments that translations from Vietnamese language to English are very often fraught with slight errors which can cause major misunderstanding, so I'm not claiming to have absolute knowledge of any of this, only the impression I get from reading it through a Google translation

Obviously the actual policy that formulates from these changes will not be set in stone until there is an official letter with a red stamp on it and Visa agents obtain official instructions from the government.

The National Assembly's next meeting is in May, so it would appear that's when everything will be submitted to them.

The word immediate is included in the translation regarding the action they are supposed to take, and I understood that to mean that it will be presented to them for immediate approval.

That seems to contradict some of the readings of previous news reports and rumors that approval would have to wait until December.
-@OceanBeach92107

(The Google Translation I received)

~~~

Proposal to increase the duration of electronic visas
Regarding a number of new policies in the field of management of entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam, the Ministry of Public Security said that the proposed policies are included in the General Resolution of the National Assembly. at the 5th meeting in May 2023 to implement immediately, while amending and supplementing the Law on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.
This is to solve some urgent issues in order to create more favorable conditions for foreigners (tourists, investors, businessmen, etc.) to enter, exit, transit, reside and do business in Vietnam. Vietnam, contributing to the recovery and development of the tourism industry in particular and the economy - society in general.
Government members unanimously proposed to the National Assembly to allow the extension of the electronic visa (E-visa) period from no more than 30 days to no more than 3 months, valid once or multiple times; issue electronic visas to citizens of all countries and territories in the world and assign the Government to decide on a specific list of countries and territories; increase the time limit for granting temporary residence certificate at border gate for people entering unilateral visa exemption from 15 days to 45 days.
Create more favorable conditions for foreigners to enter and exit Vietnam
Government members unanimously evaluated the proposal to develop a Law amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens and the Law on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam. Vietnam is very necessary to meet the requirements of practice in simplifying administrative procedures and facilitating immigration procedures for Vietnamese citizens and foreigners.
Government members agreed with the proposed policies, accordingly, continuing to reform administrative procedures in the field of immigration in the electronic environment; create favorable conditions for Vietnamese citizens to apply for foreign entry visas and issue ordinary passports according to simplified procedures; improve the efficiency of State management, synchronization and unification of the legal system; create more favorable conditions for foreigners to enter and exit Vietnam; improving the efficiency of the management of foreigners' residence in Vietnam, contributing to ensuring national security and social order and safety...

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/vie … 85858.html

https://menafn.com/1105881242/Vietnams- … n-Tourists

Looks like 90 visas are back maybe in May.

Probably not that fast, though.  It will still have to wind it's way through the government.

Hello everyone,

Please note that posts 42 and 43 were added to this topic as it is a more suitable fit.

All the best

Bhavna

@SteinNebraska Yeah, I'm guessing perhaps later in the year or early 2024. Can't rush any government when we would like a quick decision. 1f634.svg

Optimistically I would like it to be by June 2023.  1f644.svg

Probably not that fast, though. It will still have to wind it's way through the government.

Reading the entire translation above, we see:

...the Ministry of Public Security said that the proposed policies are included in the General Resolution of the National Assembly. at the 5th meeting in May 2023 to implement immediately...

“Immediately“ (if properly translated by Google) seems to indicate their response will be immediate...

The National Assembly starts 23/05/23, so don't get too excited until then.

Link from my initial post, now closed. May be redundant for some.

"Just read an article about the National Assembly voting on a new 3-month visa as early as May. Link below:

https://www.traveloffpath.com/this-tren … -3-months/

Does anyone know if this holds water? If so, and the vote is positive, any idea how long it will take to implement the new visa?"

Cheers,

Roger

Link from my initial post, now closed. May be redundant for some.
"Just read an article about the National Assembly voting on a new 3-month visa as early as May. Link below:

https://www.traveloffpath.com/this-tren … -3-months/

Does anyone know if this holds water? If so, and the vote is positive, any idea how long it will take to implement the new visa?"

Cheers,

Roger
-@RTLisSB

The exact issue has been pretty thoroughly discussed in this thread, including links to the official government site with pertinent information.

So we can expect to see many websites talking about this, but none of them adding any facts to the discussion above what the government has already shared.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please be more patient with members
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

Please note that some posts were removed from this thread.

We would appreciate that members read this thread from the start to catch up with latest news and interact in a friendly way if somehow involuntarily someone makes a mistake.

Thank you in advance

Bhavna

here we go...my only question is if we are in the country on a 30 day eVisa whilst the new law is voted in can we extend to a 3 month visa within the country ? maybe...sounds too easy though :)

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/15th-national … 228994.vnp

here we go...my only question is if we are in the country on a 30 day eVisa whilst the new law is voted in can we extend to a 3 month visa within the country ? maybe...sounds too easy though smile.png
-@panda7

Hey panda7. I think you are correct in stating that it sounds too easy :)

Presently with current 30 day eVisas, applications to extend while still in VN can be submitted (and are being accepted) to VN immigration offices in Saigon and Hanoi. I have had reports that 10 days is required for an extension application to be approved, and in those 10 days one would not want their current eVisa to expire. A caveat of these "applications to extend" is that they must be submitted prior to the end of the current eVisa's validity period.

So yes, there is the possibility that if a 3 month eVisa becomes available that one may be able to extend whilst in country.

Then again, there might not be that opportunity.

Various gov't ministries have a vested interest in showing an increase in tourism numbers. It could be that to increase the number of tourists recorded as entering VN, that the tourist might have to be recorded as actually entering VN, as opposed to extending while in country.

At this point it is safe to say that a position (one way or the other) taken on your question would be guess-work.

here we go...my only question is if we are in the country on a 30 day eVisa whilst the new law is voted in can we extend to a 3 month visa within the country ? maybe...sounds too easy though smile.png
-@panda7

Since you are basically asking for guesses, I would guess almost certainly not.

However, it will also almost certainly be possible to purchase a new 90 day visa, exit the country and re-enter on the new 90 day visa, which may or may not be renewable in country.

We will have to see what the final regulations are, but I'm going to guess that visa runs will be necessary between three months visas.

I guess...

@panda7 If there is one thing that I have learned over the years...it is this: nothing happens quickly in Vietnam! This is not a criticism but rather an observation. As we say in the west...it is what it is! If patience is in short supply then you may have landed in the wrong country to begin with.

The National Assembly will have the Visa issue on the agenda 'for discussion' when they convene in May. This does not mean that a decision will be made at that time but that discussions/consultations will take place between then and the 4th quarter plenary session in the fall. In all likelihood, the earliest that we might see a 90-day e-visa is in the 1st quarter of 2024.

I concur with my friends. If we are already in-country when/if the policy is changed then it will not affect us until we apply for a new e-visa and do the run. Then we can kick back and enjoy the good life...for 89 days lol.

The National Assembly will have the Visa issue on the agenda 'for discussion' when they convene in May. This does not mean that a decision will be made at that time but that discussions/consultations will take place between then and the 4th quarter plenary session in the fall.
-@redislandar

I still can't get past this part of the translation:

...the Ministry of Public Security said that the proposed policies are included in the General Resolution of the National Assembly. at the 5th meeting in May 2023 to implement immediately...

It is a Google translation, so maybe it's flawed.

But in the context of the theme of the article, it does appear to me to say that they are talking about immediate implementation after the idea is presented and voted upon there.

@redislandar I think you are way off. I think the decision to reinstate 3 month visas will be made in May with immediate effect...

-@panda7

Hey panda7. I think you are correct in stating that it sounds too easy smile.png

Presently with current 30 day eVisas, applications to extend while still in VN can be submitted (and are being accepted) to VN immigration offices in Saigon and Hanoi. I have had reports that 10 days is required for an extension application to be approved, and in those 10 days one would not want their current eVisa to expire. A caveat of these "applications to extend" is that they must be submitted prior to the end of the current eVisa's validity period.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Oh no!!!!............ I & many others doing visa runs every month must have missed that one & slipped up there. Ah well a short holiday in another country every month gave me a nice break & sort of got used to it as part of the deal to still live here.

-@panda7

Hey panda7. I think you are correct in stating that it sounds too easy smile.png

-@Aidan in HCMC
Oh no!!!!............ I & many others doing visa runs every month must have missed that one & slipped up there. Ah well a short holiday in another country every month gave me a nice break & sort of got used to it as part of the deal to still live here.
-@goodolboy

I don't think you've slipped up at all.

The fact that applications to extend are being accepted in country doesn't mean they are routinely being approved.

Because in general, it's common knowledge that the current eVisas cannot be extended or renewed, otherwise visa your and my visa agents would be advertising that.

As with almost every important immigration visa or TRC currently available (including spousal TT visa & TT TRC) foreigners are being required to apply in person at HCMC or Hà Nội, and agents are strictly forbidden from assisting with those applications.

So, you living in HCMC, it might not be too inconvenient for you to go to immigration at least 10 days before the expiration of a current eVisa and apply for the extension in person.

Somebody living outside HCMC & Hà Nội would essentially be screwed, since it would also be required to return and pick up the new approval, just as with a TT or TRC application.

Even you might prefer to take one visa run every month as opposed to two trips to immigration.

-@panda7

-@Aidan in HCMC
-@goodolboy

The fact that applications to extend are being accepted in country doesn't mean they are routinely being approved.

Because in general, it's common knowledge that the current eVisas cannot be extended or renewed, otherwise visa your and my visa agents would be advertising that.

As with almost every important immigration visa or TRC currently available (including spousal TT visa & TT TRC) foreigners are being required to apply in person at HCMC or Hà Nội, and agents are strictly forbidden from assisting with those applications.

So, you living in HCMC, it might not be too inconvenient for you to go to immigration at least 10 days before the expiration of a current eVisa and apply for the extension in person.

Somebody living outside HCMC & Hà Nội would essentially be screwed, since it would also be required to return and pick up the new approval, just as with a TT or TRC application.

Even you might prefer to take one visa run every month as opposed to two trips to immigration.
-@OceanBeach92107

Thanks OB good advice & that makes sense, anyways lets hope its back to the 90 days soon & preferably e visa not visa on arrival.

-@panda7

-@Aidan in HCMC
-@goodolboy

-@OceanBeach92107
Thanks OB good advice & that makes sense, anyways lets hope its back to the 90 days soon & preferably e visa not visa on arrival.
-@goodolboy

just as a point of interest......if you do go that rout & get the e visa extension, how much does it cost & for how long is the extension granted for?

Wait!  Don't a lot of the visa rules depend on reciprocity between countries??  If so, there's not a single answer.  Would depend on citizenship.

just as a point of interest......if you do go that rout & get the e visa extension, how much does it cost & for how long is the extension granted for?
-@goodolboy

I got the info about applications to extend from my Canadian friend who found himself in a bind, and have since confirmed this with other expats up in Hanoi. He was initially asked whether he wanted to apply for an extension, but when it became apparent to the immigration officer that he was already in an over-stay position, that option fizzled.

My friend did tell me that other expats were submitting extension applications, but he had no details on costs. He did mention that a "valid reason" had to be included on the application as to the reason for the extension request.

And as OB stated, "...(simply because)  applications to extend are being accepted in country doesn't mean they are routinely being approved."

Wait! Don't a lot of the visa rules depend on reciprocity between countries?? If so, there's not a single answer. Would depend on citizenship.
-@williamherron13

Not so. The only prerequisite to submitting an application to extend one's stay is possession of a current, valid eVisa. Here is the list of countries whose citizens are eligible for an eVisa.

There is however absolutely no guarantee of it being approved.

Wait! Don't a lot of the visa rules depend on reciprocity between countries?? If so, there's not a single answer. Would depend on citizenship.
-@williamherron13

That's more applicable to the Visa exemptions which are only available to a limited number of countries, with the number of days allowed varying according to those agreements between countries.

Currently the number of countries whose citizens can qualify an evisa is limited to 80, so there's probably behind the scenes reasons why some countries did not qualify for that list.

if you read through the post about current plans for may, there is a sentence in that which implies that the list of countries available for some form of evisa is going to be expanded.

Something else we need to wait until the end of May (or later) to know for sure.

I'm curious to see whether any new visa legislation enacted will affect Phu Quoc's current Visa Free Status.

I'm curious to see whether any new visa legislation enacted will affect Phu Quoc's current Visa Free Status.
-@Aidan in HCMC

there is an implication in the text that it might be extended to 45 days.

but that's a big qualified maybe.

the text of the announcement talks specifically about extending the length of Visa exemptions to 45 days, but it's unclear whether that is an across the board proposal or if it only applies to exemptions for individual countries.

@OceanBeach92107

Oh man that 45 days Visa exemption would do me just nicely! what a result that would be.

As it stands for now will a tourist visa be extended to 3 months any time soon.

As it stands for now will a tourist visa be extended to 3 months any time soon.
-@jeffrey117

Hi there jeffrey117, and welcome to expat.com!

Currently, a tourist visa is valid for 30 days. There is a thread titled "Latest news on visas" on the Vietnam main page(link) discussing the latest news on visas. Start here(link), and read the posts in reverse order (takes a little getting used to, but by reading in reverse order you'll get the latest posts that way).

Many expats in Vietnam are anxiously awaiting news regarding visas, possibly as soon as May 23rd.

Feel free to post a new topic/reply to existing threads.

Again welcome aboard, and hope to hear from you again soon.

@jeffrey117

Your post has been moved to "Latest news on visas"

"Vietnam Immigration News                         26 month 04 year 2023

NOTICE

HOLIDAY ON HUNG KINGS' COMMEMORATION DAY, NATIONAL REUNIFICATION DAY AND INTERNATIONAL WORKERS' DAY

Please be advised that Vietnam Immigration Department will not be engaging in immigration procedures on the occasion of Hung Kings' Commemoration Day, National Reunification Day and International Workers' Day, from Saturday, April 29th to Wednesday, May 3rd, 2023.

Respectfully,

VIETNAM IMMIGRATION DEPARTMENT"

source: Ministry of Public Security, National Web Portal On Immigration

A Google Translation of this article (link):

MOST IMPORTANT POINT (from the last paragraph):

"After group discussion, the National Assembly will discuss this content in the hall on June 2 and vote on it on the morning of June 24 - the last working day of the 5th session."

(full translation)

Saturday, May 27, 2023, 06:00 (GMT+7)

This morning, submitted to the National Assembly to increase the duration of electronic visas to 3 months

On the morning of May 27, Minister of Public Security To Lam will submit to the National Assembly a draft amendment to the law, which proposes to increase the duration of e-visas from no more than 30 days to a maximum of 3 months.

The draft Law amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens and the Law on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam submitted by the Minister of Public Security Electronic visa (e-visa) is valid for many times instead of one time as before.

In the afternoon of the same day, the National Assembly will discuss in groups on this content.

The bill-examining agency - Committee for National Defense and Security agreed with the above proposal, saying that the regulation of e-visa valid for many times will create favorable conditions for foreigners when entering and exiting the country. contribute to reducing administrative procedures, saving time and costs.

The extension of the e-visa duration meets the needs of international tourists and foreigners entering Vietnam to research, survey the market, search and promote investment. The above regulation is "special favor" for foreign guests and is convenient in implementing the order and procedures of the management agency.

However, some members of the Committee asked the drafting agency to clarify the basis for the regulation that the time limit should not exceed 3 months; and there is a proposal to increase the duration of the e-visa to no more than 6 months.

The verification agency also agreed with the proposal to expand the scope of e-visa because according to current regulations, citizens of 80 countries who are granted e-visas when completing entry and exit procedures in Vietnam are "inappropriate". with the needs of foreign visitors and attracting investment and tourism of Vietnam (258 countries and territories in the world).

However, the National Defense - Security Committee suggested that the drafting committee study and further evaluate the impact of the extension, granting conditions and duration of the e-visa in order to have solutions to ensure immigration management. maintain social order and safety.

With the proposal to increase the time limit for granting temporary residence certificates at border gates for people entering the country under unilateral visa exemption from 15 days to 45 days, the Committee agreed because it is suitable with the current actual situation when the need to enter the country. Vietnam has been growing for a long time, especially for investors and tourists.

The 45-day regulation is also only at the average level of other countries in the region, such as Singapore 30-90 days; Malaysia is 14-90 days; Myanmar 28-70 days; Philippines 30-59 days; Thailand 45 days; Indonesia up to 30 days; Cambodia 14-30 days.

Some members of the verification agency said that Vietnam's unilateral visa exemption for citizens of 25 countries is much lower than in the region such as Singapore (158 countries), Malaysia (166), Indonesia (169), Philippines (157), Thailand (70). This has a significant impact on investment and tourism activities, especially long-term tourists from Europe and America who are not yet in the visa exemption category.

Therefore, the National Defense - Security Committee proposed the drafting committee to study and expand the unilateral visa exemption for citizens of other countries along with loosening the conditions for unilateral visa exemption.

After group discussion, the National Assembly will discuss this content in the hall on June 2 and vote on it on

the morning of June 24 - the last working day of the 5th session.

https://vnexpress.net/sang-nay-trinh-quoc-hoi-nang-thoi-han-thi-thuc-dien-tu-len-3-thang-4610266.html

I hope it gets approved.

so if it gets approved how long until it comes into affect ?

@panda7 that's the big question. My friend David contacted a reputable visa agent in Da Nang and they believe it still will not be until October. But really, who knows. I bet OB does and he is not telling us 1f600.svg.  LOL.

@mpmilestogo you would hope immediately but the change in digital systems would take at least 6 weeks no ? the way I see it is someone is going to lose money (the corrupt border guards for a start, border run companies ferrying tourists back and forth) but the economy in general will benefit from it. Probably 12 months too late for many businesses though that were in their knees if not collapsed last year.

A 6 month eVisa would be great :)

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have added post #72 - #77 to this thread as they fit into the continuity of the topic

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =2#5684660

Have a nice day

Bhavna

A 6 month eVisa would be great smile.png
-@panda7

6 months "visa free"  might be in the works too, but unfortunately at this point only proposed for Phu Quoc

Phu Quoc eyes 6-month visa waiver to lure overseas tourists

Vietnam needs a retirement visa. What would be even better is a collaboration between asian countries offering a single retirement visa that could be used across SE Asia...kind of like a Euro union passport :)