Living to Italy

I want to move to Italy, I'd like to know my options regarding long term rentals, preferably inland

Hello and hope you're well,

Could you please give more details about your projet ?

Mickael

Expat.com Team

Hi Dean,What a great dream to fulfil. Depending on where you are seeking to live long term rentals may not be easily ascertained. Thanks to companies like AirBnB and the fact tourism is one of Italy's domestic products most landlords in an area of high tourism have no incentive for long term rental especially if you are not already situated with residency in Italy or the EU. Do you speak the Italian language with any fluency?  Do you have any friends or relatives who live in Italy? Since Covid they are more strict when it comes to applying and achieving your permesso di soggiorno. My family and I moved here 14 years ago from the United States. My wife had her permesso di soggiorno prior to us meeting each other and was born in the USA. She learned five languages and Italian is one of her strongest and she knew the process.  We moved from Manhattan to Pantelleria and currently reside in Venice. I would say places like Sicily which do get a high influx of immigrants  are far more advanced in the processes of working with immigrants to achieve temporary permesso di soggiorno.  You will need to visit the Questura in the area where you want to live after you have gone to the post office and filed the paperwork for your  permesso di soggiorno. You will also need to apply for and attain a Codice Fiscale prior as well all of this as well as finding a place to rent you will need to do inside of 90 days if you are not from the EU you will have to leave for 180 days since your visa will require such. It sounds impossible but if you learn first what is required you can achieve everything. Now I have found there is a tremendous difference in the attitudes of the Questura in the South then the North. the South is far more friendly and willing to help you and the North can be more closed minded. This is my personal experience. But to this day we have an office in Pantelleria and in Venice and every time we are in Sicily we have lunch with the police officers and their families who still work at the Questura and helped us for close to six years to maintain then obtain permanent  permesso di soggiorno.Good luck on your quest.PFL