Moving to Asuncion Mid July 2023

Hello Paraguayan Expats,

My wife and I will be moving to Asuncion where I have a two year contract teaching Chemistry at the American School of Asuncion.  The school will be helping with much of the transition, but we welcome any additional information and suggestions.

Carl and Michelle

Fantastic and if they need an English Teacher please let me know. Thanks . Christobal

@christobalhausler How is the price?

I'm sure they will be able to cover most things for you. I've been here in Paraguay for many years so if there are any little details you need clarifying do reach out

@Simon Paraguay

Hello Simon,

I'm considering a move to Paraguay - and quickly, too.

Are you aware of any jobs for a native English speaker, with a degree in journalism?

Also, how much is rent for a basic studio apartment? I'm not looking for anything luxurious - safety and affordability are the two things i value most, in relation to housing.

Thank you for any information, if you choose to respond.

Thank you!

@dustinjason Hi. For jobs for a native English speaker the principal option is teaching English, that will need a TFL certificate. There are English schools of all shapes and sizes in Asuncion. Beyond that options are limited as understandably business is done in Spanish, not saying though that there is nothing else. For rentals in Asuncion hard to give anything exact, but $500 pm is a pretty good ball park figure to work with. Outside Asuncion prices do drop considerably, but then so do work options. If you want to have a look on the Community section of the site my blog, with much more detail about Paraguay is listed there.

@Simon Paraguay Thank you, Simon.

I'll see if i can locate your blog.

Again, I appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts.

@Simon Paraguay Hi Simon, what about those of us who have remote work? I imagine one can live pretty much anywhere, but what is the WiFi/connectivity like? Looking to move from South Africa.

@FionaZerbst we're from South Africa and have been in Paraguay for nearly 5 years now. We have lived in various parts of Paraguay and have found that, except for small town, you can have fibre-optic internet almost everywhere. We are currently justy outside the cable coverage area in Caaguazu, and use 4G, for which we pay about R400 per month for 50Gb. We get between 5 and 20 Mbps download, and around 5 Mbps upload speed. The cost of living outside Asuncion is cheaper and more peaceful. Especially the cost of housing is quite a bit lower. You're welcome to also contact us

@FionaZerbst Hi yes, remote is a pretty popular option. As for WiFi you can be confident that it;s going to be fine in any town of city. Out in the countryside it is a case of checking from place to place. There are 3  main national phone companies and any one of them may be best in a particular area. With speed of connection that ranges from great to troublesome, again needs testing on the ground. I'm 15 km from the nearest town and most of the time my connection is fine.