Owning land + a small business a good investment?

Hey all,i am in the early stage of planning my move to Paraguay and will to get some information.I plan on investing some money in land(about 500 to 750 ha) and then hire someone to farm it for me(most likely a combo of cattle and soya/foresty.Beside the land i want to buy either a supermarket or restaurant/bar in Asuncion to be run by myself, can anyone give me a hint of which one of the 2 would be the better choice?And my final question is with the income from the land plus the business in Asuncion do you think i could live a good life in Paraguay, in the sense to have a comfortable life, a nice car and house and good health coverage?Thanks for your replies in advance Sam.

Hi sh1982,

Welcome to expat-blog!

I suggest you to read these thread you might find some interesting information:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=78722https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=202064

hope this might be helpful. :)

Thank you,

David.

after reading through the other topics, what are you most interested in? What do you have experience doing?
Running a farm and running a restaurant are both back breaking and time consuming businesses but highly rewarding. There is a lot of competition in the restaurant business but some niche  markets are undeserved and desperately needed!
What sort of bar/restaurant are you looking at?
Whichever you decide best of luck to you

farmland in paraguay is still a relative bargain...
...however, squatters will challenge title (and win) if u plan to be an absentee owner (and unable to secure land)

Hello SH 1982.

I would recommend that you really think before procedding with your idea of buying so many hectares, and hiring staff to work your land. The Paraguayan mindset is very different than that in Europe or the USA (where I am from). I had a small farm (6 hectares) with a single employee to take care of my milk cows. pigs. chickens, etc. In 5 years I had to replace the employee five times. All were lazy, envious, and cunning liars, who stole from me more the better I treated them. You really need to experience things here first hand BEFORE you make such a big purchase.
Please dont get me wrong. I love Paraguay, and have been here full time with my wife and son for over 3 years. I also recommend buying property. I bought 3 pieces of property, starting with 3 hectares, then a house with 3 hectares, and finally a 1.5 hectare piece. I have since sold all of my animals and equipment and put the farm and the other properties up for rent. The farm I bought in 2008 for $30,000 is renting for almost $6,000 a year. A return of almost 20% after expenses are added. The 3 hectares I bought for $7,500 in 2008 are renting for almost $3,000 per year. These are of course not large sums of money, however the percentage return on investment is huge.
I recommend buying many smaller rental properties and renting them out to supply your income.

@ sam,

find tecnical consultants to properly assist you.
Unless you have routes to deploy your production or whatever service is provided, numbers posted on this forum means little.
Legal security satus quo is a Con on that country, and only when one has to litigate you will find out the fully scope of what it means.