Long Distance Brazilian Bus Accommodations

I will be taking a 6-hour long distance bus in Ceara soon. What accommodations do the buses have. i.e. Air Conditioning, Internet, Peanuts, In-Flight movies (just kidding) etc.

Roddie in Retirement1f60e.svg

just google   "passagem de onibus"  and see what comes after.  Lots of portals doing pre booking.

A six hour bus ride hardly warrants and airplane ticket. 

You can just show up at the Bus Terminal ( Called Rodoviaria ),. and buy the ticket at the counter.  There are no significant difference on pricing.   

As for ammenities, expect an A/C bus, and no food or attendants.  They often stop along the route so folks can stretch legs, buy snacks on their own.   No in route movies.  Some bus line operators might have internet.

That is how it works here. 

I have taken a few bus trips in Brazil. I always found the buses to be clean and comfortable. The drivers were very professional. It's not a bad way to travel at all.

another +1 for the bus. It's perfectly comfortable, and for only a 6 hour ride, I'd not even consider getting the bed option. They usually have some free bottles/plastic cups of water at the back in a cooler as well. I'd still travel by bus to my in-laws if it wasn't double to time compared to taking my own car to be honest! it's always been hassle free.

12/13/22 @roddiesho.  As everyone above has pointed out, in this country six hours barely qualifies as a "long distance" bus trip -- welcome to Brazil! 😂 You should find the bus clean and comfortable, with a good chance of being air conditioned, depending on where you're going.  Bringing water is always a good idea, but they'll probably be making a couple of water stops.  Enjoy the adventure!

If you ever take some really long distance rides (Fortaleza to Recife or Salvador, for example) an overnight sleeper bus can be a nice option.  More cost, but more of those amenities, too.

I will be taking a 6-hour long distance bus in Ceara soon. What accommodations do the buses have. i.e. Air Conditioning, Internet, Peanuts, In-Flight movies (just kidding) etc.
Roddie in Retirement1f60e.svg
-@roddiesho

In my opinion, unlike the USA, most buses in Brazil are really nice, and on time. I ride a couple of times a year instead of driving because the toll costs can be as high as just renting a car for a couple of days or using local transit, let alone the cost of fuel, etc. My experience though is limited to the states of Mato Grosso, Goias, SP, and Rio.  If you are going to ride them before Christmas, expect a crowd, and most of the people will have lots of packages, I've seen people bringing everything from appliances out of the cities into the country, to live animals being carried for Christmas dinner. I know it's summer, but bring a sweater, often the A/C works too well.

Your accommodations can range from just a simple seat to virtually a small bedroom, it all depends on what class ticket you buy. For food, every bus I have ridden has free water bottles, although you have to look for them, and a restroom, but no snacks that I have seen. However, I have never been on a bus ride over a couple of hours that did not stop at various highway bus and truck oasis to eat and use their restrooms. The drivers get a commission from these places so they like to stop at them. Some have typical fast food while others have nice cafes with sit-down dining, quality per-kilo buffets etc.  Yes, most country bus services have internet, not great internet, but internet. Get the password and codes before you leave as sometimes, finding a sign inside the bus with that information is near to impossible. While I am sure some buses have charging ports for your phone, I have not found them, so I carry a high-quality external battery for my phone, it's large enough for one complete laptop charge too if needed

@roddiesho I've taken the bus a few times between Sao Paulo and Rio (6-7 hours) and found them to be comfortable and clean.  You can recline the seats pretty far, making them easier to sleep on.  In fact, I have taken the overnight trip and slept pretty well.  If I was taking a longer trip, I would go for the bed option.

We do the Salvador-Bom Jesus route all the time,its 14 hours at night ....the seats are extra large and reclining and they hand out pillows and blankets .....but they are designed to be very uncomfortable if you are trying to join the mile-high club through the high mountain passes around Seabra.  They are pitch black though.  there's no cell phone tower coverage anywhere so why bother?  There is a stop midway for about 45 minutes to grab a typical Bahian meal.  You can buy tickets in advance online but only for a few days early.  The busses are very new and ultra comfortable but the roads suck so that kind of negates the effect.