Rent a flat or a house in Ontario

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Ontario. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Ontario.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Ontario?

How to find a home in Ontario: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hi Christine,

Finding somewhere to rent in Ontario depends on what's available - sometimes you may have plenty of choice, or, like me, when I arrived here, you have 3 to choose from. The best way to find a rental property is to visit Kijiji. This is a little like the Ebay website and has a section specifically for rental properties. Finding a place through a real estate agent is likely to be more expensive because, although their service is free to the renter, they charge one month's rent to the owner, so this is often worked into the rent. Also, their loyalty (legally) is to the owner, whom they are representing, so if they know you have limited options, they won't necessarily get YOU the best deal.Kijiji will be cheaper.
Be prepared to hand over post-dated checks for rent, and have paperwork confirming your employment.
The amount of rent charged varies according to how close you are to Toronto. In the city you may pay the same for a one bed apartment as you would for a three bed house 50km away. The best thing to do is get as many property details as possible so you can build up a picture of what the going rate for that area is. As with most things, you get what you pay for, and cheaper homes are likely to be more basic, while those at the more expensive end will likely have upgrades (marble worktops, stainless steel appliances, etc.) It's all about what you are willing to settle for.
If you rent a house, in winter you are legally responsible for snow removal from any pathway running in front of/around your property. If you live in an apartment/condo this will be taken care of by a maintenance company but beware, this cost may not be included in your rent.
Most rental contracts are for a year, but once that is up, if you are not renewing it,  you are legally allowed to rent on a month by month basis until you find somewhere else. Contracts are pretty straightforward, provided you pay your rent on time, the only reason you may have to move out is if your landlord wishes to move back in. Then you have 3 months to find somewhere else. Hope this is helpful, if you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer them. For a snapshot of life in Ontario, have a look at my blog Irreverent observations from an accidental expat in Canada

Aisha

Hi Chamchi!

Thanks a lot for helping ;)

Regards
Armand

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Ontario?

No, it is not hard to find what you want, you can easily find the type of accommodation by a simple online search. Getting it  is the hard part because there will be many applicants waiting. Like everything else, good deal doesn't last long.

How to find a home in Ontario: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?
The easiest to find homes in Ontario is to search the type of rentals you need using internet. You can use craigslist, viewit or urbanrenters. I found my place through urbanrenters.ca/rentals/toronto,%20ON I contacted them and they sent me a list of available condos.

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?
Depends whether it is close to transportation, the neighborhood, and the type of accommodation.

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?
Most of the place requires a min 6 month lease, you will need, references, employment letter.
letters from the previous landlord etc.

Which advice would you give?
(1). NEVER send money over the internet! NEVER! C the place first, or have someone you trust checkout the place for you. (2). Ask questions: is parking available? are pets allowed? how far it is from the bus or train station. what utilities are included? (3) Get yourself prepared. as I mentioned above, good deal won't last long. Have the requested  document ready and with you upon applying  or signing the lease. Hope this helps. ;)