Updated 3 years ago

Traveling to Luxembourg soon? Here is some useful information on travel formalities for different types of stays.

Before moving to a foreign country, it is best to be aware of conditions and formalities related to traveling. Like most European countries, Luxembourg authorities have also set a series of procedures regarding immigration. Thus, nationals of some countries are required to obtain a visa while others are not.

 Good to know:

As Luxembourg is part of the Schengen area, nationals coming from the European Union, Switzerland and the European Economic Area (including Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway), do not require a visa to travel there. However, they will have to apply for a registration certificate at the nearest municipality to their place of residence in the country within three months following their arrival in the country if they intend to make a more than 90 days stay.

Registration certificate

To apply for the registration certificate, you have to produce your passport, as well as documents pertaining to the purpose of your stay in the country, whether you are a student, a trainee, an employee or an entrepreneur, etc. You also have to produce proof of sufficient funds to support yourself and your family (if they are accompanying you) during your stay in the country. Note that the registration certificate is valid for a lifetime.

For family members of EU or equivalent nationals

Luxembourg laws make a distinction between family members of European Union or assimilated nationals, those of non-European nationals and those of students.

In general, spouses and civil partners, less than 21 years old direct descendants and descendants of spouses or partners or their dependents, direct ascendants of European Union nationals, direct ascendants of the spouse or partner, as well as other family members specifically authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, are considered as family members. The same applies to nationals of the European Union nationals who, however, have to provide proof of marriage, civil partnership or relationship, a document justifying support by the European or assimilated national having settled in Luxembourg or the authorization of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

On the other hand, family members of non-European nationals have to follow different procedures. In fact, they have to request a residence certificate at the nearest municipality to their host's place of residence by producing their travel documents, as well as their host's registration certificate. Note that kinship ties have to be supported by either of the following documents: marriage, partnership, relationship certificate or any other relevant document (issued in their home country) or a special authorization issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

In the case of students, only spouses or civil partners and dependent children are considered as family members unless any other special permission from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is issued.

Non-EU nationals

As regards non-European Union nationals, they are advised to check whether they have to obtain a visa to enter the Schengen area according to their nationality. Note that nationals of the following countries do not require a visa to travel to Luxembourg: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cape Verde, Macedonia, Georgia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Russia and Ukraine.

They simply have to produce a passport (that has to be valid for at least three months following their travel date and at least three months following their visa's expiry date) to be authorized to enter Luxembourg.

Three months stay

On their arrival in Luxembourg, non-European nationals have to register at the nearest municipality to their place of residence. In case they are staying in a hotel or tourist accommodation, the application can be filed there itself. The form must be filled and signed by the owner or manager and this document will serve as a statement of arrival.

More than three months stay

If you wish to make a more than three months stay in the country, you are required to obtain a resident permit before arriving. The request has to be made to the Luxembourg Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Directorate of Immigration (Foreign Service). This permit is generally issued to employees and entrepreneurs, sportsmen, students, trainees and volunteers, researchers, family members and even for private purposes.

 Useful links:

Luxembourg Official Portal www.luxembourg.public.lu
Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs – Immigration www.mae.lu
Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs – Short stay www.mae.lu/en/content/view/full/32678
Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs – Luxembourg Diplomatic Missions www.mae.lu/Site-MAE/Missions-diplomatiques-et-consulaires
Guichet.lu – Local administrations in Luxembourg www.guichet.public.lu

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.