How to Ship Prescription Medications to the Dominican Republic

My mother is currently in the Dominican Republic but has a doctor here in the US, and I want to send prescription medication from her doctor to her. I recently picked them up from the pharmacy here in the US and wondering if that is even possible. Thank you!
If you get a definitive answer at all please let me know.
I have imported meds and here is what I know. 

Send via a mail forwarder.  Make sure they are in original containers with a receipt and prescription and under US 200 in value to avoid issues.

In addition make sure those meds are allowed here.  For example we don't allow medical marijuana. 

I did this several times for meds not available here.
You can ship through a freight forwarder in Miami, such as Mail Boxes, Etc., CPS, EPS and others. Your mother would need a free account with one of these companies and would then pay shipping of about $5/pound from Miami to the forwarders office nearest her home. Many also have delivery services for an additional fee.

The process will take at least 4-5 days from Miami, and there is always a chance the medication could be “lost” somewhere along the way. You will need to submit an invoice/receipt for the prescriptions, and unless there is an exception for medication that I'm not aware of, import duty would have to be paid if the total value exceeds $200.

If the medication she needs is available here in DR, I would strongly recommend that! Most everything here is OTC and with her current pill bottles or copies of the prescriptions, a pharmacist here can tell her what is available. Many are much cheaper here.

@planner & @ddmcghee Thank you so much for your reply! I have a follow-up question. How did you get the medicine to the freight forwarder (any you would recommend for @planner)? I have them currently in my possession. Thank you again!

Account is opened here and they give you a specific address in Miami.  You mail the meds with a copy of the receipt to that address.

I have used Mailbox Etc, BM Cargo and CPS. Stick to the bigger well known companies.
Whichever of the big names that is most convenient for your mom would be the way to go! I have accounts with two here in Las Terrenas but use Mail Boxes, Etc. for almost everything because they are most conveneint