Quality of Health Care in Puerto Plata

I would like to get some opinions on the quality of health care in Puerto Plata for a long-term stay.  I spent a few months in Sosua and needed to use the clinic there and it was probably ok for minor things. But,  I not sure what it would be like for a life-threaten illness. I know there are excellent medical facilities in Santo Domingo and Santiago.  Thanks in advance

An accident caused a penetrated lung, took 3 days for me to no longer take the pain & difficulty in breathing. Diego, a friend, took me to the Bornigal hospital. In minutes they had me in  ICU & putting a chest tube in. Less than two hours from death, drowing in my own blood.  4  days later into a private room, multiple tubes, a catheter & needles perforating my body.  A/C, tv, private bathroom that I couldn't take advantage of.  Many scans, DR visitations etc. Twenty days later I was able to go home to Sosua. They saved my life! I was impressed with the care that I was given. However it still was hospital food!  I had insurance that paid for almost everything.  That was about ten years ago.  Last year a moto clipped me & down I went. Ambulance came, took me to the public hospital. Xrays, nothing busted. separated ribs, hyper extentended groin tendon & muscle. A couple of very painful weeks with a walker. Cost? zip nada, nothing.  Better to have the insurance. There are a couple of excellent hospitals, make sure that is where you go.  I am satisfied, if I fall out of bed because of too much fun or perhaps, just stupidity, I am not afraid of the local facilities.

CMC is good in Sosua, Clinica Brugal in Puerto Plata  are both good. I no longer recommend Bournigal in Puerto Plata. 

You want insurance do NOT go to a public hospital!

If you can not prove that you can pay, CMC WILL NOT treat you. A friend bled out after being turned away from CMC & died on the way to Puerta Plata. I wish to remain anynomous please.

Honey no private clinic in this country will treat you if you cannot pay! That is reality here.

I am sorry about your friend!!

So were his wife & 3 kids sorry. His insurance card was home, not in his wallet.

Anything serious...head to HOMS in Sanitago!

Less serious then Bournigal in Puerto Plata. 

Bob K

Thanks for the information

I have health insurance that covers me worldwide if the hospital will accept it.  I am probably ok for inpatient care in most large cities.  I think that the cost to rent would be a lot less in Puerto Plata but Santo Domingo might be the best for using my insurance.  I do not have any serious medical issues but I am retirement age and emergencies can happen at any time and place.

You need to check IN ADVANCE where it is accepted and where you need to pay first and get reimbursed!

Our international policy reimburses us, however some of the large hopsitals (HOMS) will work with them.
We do carry local insurance as well but starting to find that getting quite expensive (4x or more than when started with them) and we are considering dropping that this year with the new increase.

BObK

IF you are dropping local insurance honey consider maintaining Travel Medevac Insurance. In case you are better off treated in the USA,  they air evac you!  Here is my link: ​http://bit.ly/DRDARLENE

And a PSA about insurance here: get it before you are 65.   Once in place don't miss a payment.   Insurance here is not priced by age or sex or smoking status when you sign up.

At age 65 you will pay  - for example - 150% of normal premium. At 70 - for example - 200% of premium.  At age 75 - for example -  250% of premium.

This is how they adjust for age.  Its an interesting system for sure. Each company has a slightly different way and maybe a different % increase.

Yes we do maintain evacuation insurance.

Bob K

Agreed -- STI or SD offer the best ....HOMS in STI is very good.

CMC has me on file

As for being turned away,
I was in San Francisco CA once - in a hotel.
I had an issue they sent me to the hospital.
An older lady in front of me had an outstanding bill..unpaid

They turned her away - in tears

Proof of payment is needed in many places

But - YES... verify who takes what...

Once you establish your network - it works well....enough

Big business rules, the Hippogratic Oath died here long ago.   I consign them all to a lingering painful death.  Yes money must be made to continue services, but never at the expense of patience care.  The public hospitals & clinics do not have every thing up to date, but hey want and can provide life saving  care. I know, they saved mine without a question as to my ability to pay.  To each his own, my choice is life.  If I wasn't too old, I would buy Planners group insurance.

I would never go willingly to a public hospital here. There are no resources, no supplies, little training and competition for assistance is high.

You want to be cared for in a private hospital or clinic. That's means money or insurance.

I have a group with Humano but I also recommend Universal, it's good as well.

Precisely... how about sheets?

There's a reason a family member never leaves the patient's side

Tinker had a good experience....
Was she paying ?