Do foreigners need a local guarantor to rent ?

Is it true, that foreigners need a local guarantor to rent an apartment in Portugal?

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please refer to the housing section by posting an advert. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Yes. It is true. We hired a trusted lawyer who represented us. Legal fee in Portugal is much cheaper than US and you can negotiate.

Please tell me more details.

My understanding is that a) it's up to the landlord and b) without a guarantor you may be asked to put up several months rent in addition to the normal two months plus security deposit.

Hi
You generally don't need a guarantor.  They don't even ask for references just id and money. Simples.

Hi Sue
Would you mind sending me a PM with the lawyer's details please?

Kind regards
Janine

Hi! I would say that Mrosephoto is right. It depends on the landlord. Most of times 4-6 months of rent + 1 month security deposit is normal. You can also do a little under the table offer as 1 month off if  you keep electricity, gas and water in the owners name. This way Finances can't track them down as renters to collect taxes fees. Plus you will save the headache of going to Loja do Cidadao to change the names in the bills.

just a note, if you are needing the rental for a visa, you are going to have to have it all on the books. You must get the rental registered with the local taxing office and you must show proof of this registration at the time you go for your visa. At least that is true for SF.

We just signed a contract for two years. We could have done longer or shorter but two years felt right to us since this is a new experience. We were only asked for two months rent. But again that will vary widely. Our plan B place wanted six months up front.

You must have a NIF (tax number) and should have a Portuguese Bank account (both required for your VISA). We paid our rent at the time of the signing of the least through a Transferwise transaction. Everyone seems comfortable with smartphone snaps of the transaction directly from your smartphone screen as proof.

You will need a personal reference for your Visa but not for your rental. And that is not a financial guarantor. You will need someone to act as a financial guarantor to get your NIF if you don't have a Portuguese residence. We hired a local person who assisted with NIF's and bank accounts and the like. 150 euro for all. Much cheaper than an attorney. Attorney's can be costly and don't do much. There is a person, Gail Aguira in Porto that does everything including getting you in touch with realtors and helping you from start to finish with your Visa all for 150 E. A bargain for all that she does. I've heard quotes of 600 euro per person to as much as 5000. I'm seeing where they are doing much more than Gail does for the 150.

Hi Janine,

Here is Sergio *** contact****

Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you

This is new to us as well. We hired Sergio who was our lawyer (referred by an American friend). He did everything for us including negotiating on our condo price (saved us 55K euro), verified the owner's information, obtained NIF, utilities etc...  His office is in Lisbon. I am happy with his services and his price is reasonable.

We bought our condo from a realtor (Antonio ****). He also has rental properties in Portugal. I like him and his price is lower than other realtors. He has his own real estate company.

Note: there are only seller agents, no buyers agents in Portugal. Seller agents sell or rent their own products and they don't like to share a commission with other agents.

Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
marcus-bremen wrote:

Is it true, that foreigners need a local guarantor to rent an apartment in Portugal?

yes it is
"locals" also have to present a guarantor for warranty

You do not need a local guarantor to rent an apartment if you a foreigner. However, you will need one in order to get your NIF. You will need your NIF in order to rent an apartment. If you are outside the country you can hire someone whom you will grant a power of attorney to act on your behalf to acquire the NIF. This can be an attorney, your real estate agent, or a local expeditor. And it does not require thousands of dollars. We paid 150 euros to get our NIF, bank accounts and assistance with getting our documentation ready for the consulate. Sometimes a local guarantor might help reduce the amount of advance rent you might be asked to pay. Often an owner will ask as much as six months rent in advance to a newcomer who has no history of renting in Portugal. This can vary widely. We were only asked for two months in advance. However, that is unusual for first-time renters in Portugal. But it depends on the owner and your ability to negotiate.

There is a diference beetwin short term rentals and long term rentals.
There is a diference beetween having a formal lease contract and none.
Theres is a diference beetween a vacation rental on a touristic spot and outside the buble.
Post author stated his experience here  -
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =3#4473722 -
that is in accordance with the usual pratices.
There is no need of a NIF for short terms, owners ask the full rentals + security caution upfront.

Can the poster who cited Gail Aguira in Porto please PM me with email/contact info?  TIA...Terry

Is there contact information for Gail Aguiro? We would like to contact her to help with our residency permit/Visa. Thanks

There is a person, Gail Aguira in Porto that does everything including getting you in touch with realtors and helping you from start to finish with your Visa all for 150 E.

Spelled Aguira in post.  Can't find her even using google.pt or duckduckgo.  Maybe hear back from original poster.

Not that easy to find assistance with Portugal visa/residency as far as I can tell.

Terry

Can I have his contact?/@mrosephoto 

@mrosephoto Can you please share number of Gail Aguira. We need also for these things of our D7 Visa. Thanks in advance

@marcus-bremen Usually yes because the landlords don't trust you ! 
Alternatively, you can pay 6 months upfront. It can only depends on the landlord or if the place is a dump, they will rent it without all those requirements. Or if it's very expensive to the point where there is no competition, then you can come with 6 months paid up front also. Just make sure there is a central heater or some kind of partial heater installed otherwise, you will be freezing all the winter.
Getting your NIF number overcomes a few hurdles. Having a bank account overcomes all.  
TO seasunhere " For your info : you cannot get a bank account if you are homeless......so in other words, you need an address before you can obtain a bank account and a NIF with some official documents
My apologies for homeless was not forthcoming. 

Then it is very easy

@mrosephoto Can you please pm me Gail Aguira's contact details. I'm interested in her services. Thank you.

@GuestPoster562 Nope, what you said is not true. Guarantors are often requested; it depends on the rental contract.

Not needed - it depends on the landlord. He / she can demand it or not. Same as anywhere else.

@GuestPoster562 Hi there i would be hugely appreciative if you were still active and could share details

Hi Cathal, Welcome.

That profile is no longer active.

You may find this information useful:

Solicitors, Lawyers & Administrative division of Portugal:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=941009

Best Regards

Hello

I am just buying a house in Moncarapacho and will propose it for location long term without garants but some months payed in advance.

Kind regards,

@GuestPoster562 what if we are new and don't have id?

Hello Sumairahfeez30412,

Guestposter is no longer on the forum. Is it for long term or short term rental ? And what do you mean by "you don't have an ID" ?

Regards

Bhavna

@mrosephoto oh! you are so kind and information you gave is gold for us!!!

@mrosephoto

Please can you share the contact details of Gail Aguira

Hello,

Just a quick reminder,

Contact details should not be posted on the forum.

Kindly use the private messaging system to share such information.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@TonyJ1 I am reading that some landlords are extremely demanding. Some not only want a local guarantor (quite impossible to obtain if you are new to Portugal or even if you have been in Portugal for a few years) but also the last 3 months of his/her salary pay stubs and the ones from the potential tenants and income tax return from both the guarantor and the tenant. And in addition to all that, 2 ou 3 months of security deposit and 2 months rent in advance. This is totally insane. With all those unreasonable requirements and I would say unnecessary too, how can a foreigner or even local person possibly obtain a rental accommodation given that many do not have any pay stubs to show or would be kind of skeptical as to show their income tax return if any ? I think it's abusive from the landlord's part to request all that. What a sad situation. Who in the right mind would put up with all those requests ? Being a guarantor is basically putting your financial life at risk ! And why would you have to show all those confidential information. I wouldn't and I understand that many wouldn't either. I am happy that my nice landlord didn't request any of that when I moved in and it works perfectly well. Of course, I am not in Lisbon so there isn't as much abuse. But still be careful of over greedy and over demanding landlords.....

This is an example of what requirements many landlords are asking, which appear very unreasonable and even abusive (not to say discriminatory....) for just an average, old apartment with performance energetic 'D' (so not that good) on the outskirts of Lisbon. 1 200 Euros/month. I would definitely avoid those types of landlords.

'Rental Conditions:

Amount of 4 rents upon signing the contract (1 month rent plus 3 months deposit)

guarantors

Presentation of IRS (tenants and guarantor)

3 last salary receipts (from tenants and guarantor)

Schedule your visit to me.'

'Rental Conditions:
Amount of 4 rents upon signing the contract (1 month rent plus 3 months deposit)
guarantors
-@juliajonesjy

Unfortunately, except for the "Presentation of IRS" and the "guarantor" these requirements are quite normal, not only in Lisbon or Portugal but in other EU countries as well. Possibly landlords have had bad experiences with tenants and, the risk for the landlord is always higher than that of the tenant.

Fortunately our landlord (we rented for 18 months in the beginning) was much easier going, but I also offered to pay one year rent in advance, if needed. It was then not needed.

My recommendation is to just ignore all rental offers where a guarantor is required.

@nz7521137 Yes definitely boycott all the ads with guarantor needed. I would never dare to ask someone to be my guarantor.  That's kind of embarrassing and even if it's a friend, it may ruin your friendship at some point.  I am glad my landlord didn't ask me anything except the first month rent (normal) and security deposit (normal too). No background check or stupid requirements that foreigners usually don't have such as an IRS from the last 3 years or what have you. Even if I had those, I would never show that to them. None of their business. I pay and that's it. Everything is working just fine.

If Portuguese make approximately 1000 euros a month, I wonder how they can afford those high rental prices unless they have 3 or 4 people living under the same roof, officially or not.

Also, but that's another story, some of them want to be partly paid in cash ( I guess that's to avoid paying too much tax on their rental returns).

This is an example of what requirements many landlords are asking, which appear very unreasonable and even abusive (not to say discriminatory....) for just an average, old apartment with performance energetic 'D' (so not that good) on the outskirts of Lisbon. 1 200 Euros/month. I would definitely avoid those types of landlords.
'Rental Conditions:
guarantors
-@juliajonesjy

This is NOT unreasonable to ask for 1 month rent plus 3 months deposit. This is the norm in pretty much every European country. Asking for a guarantor is often when a landlord has been screwed offer in the past.