Situation (legal and other) regarding squatters

I would like to find out the legal and other situation in Portugal when it comes to squatters, aka people that are occupying and using your property without your permission. From France and Spain I have heard real horror stories, because there it is a very lengthy and costly process to get these people removed from your property. During the whole process the owner has to pay for all utilities and afterwards for all damages cause to the real estate. So, how is the situation in Portugal?

@nz7521137

It would be very difficult.  In portugal to get utilities you have to have a deed or contract which is recorded. You have to register in thst municipality also

@nz7521137
It would be very difficult. In portugal to get utilities you have to have a deed or contract which is recorded. You have to register in thst municipality also
-@sarazindarci

Well, the squatter enters the home while the owner (with utility contracts in place) is not at home and then stays there. And in France/Spain it would be impossible to terminate the utilities or even change the locks. The squatter can stay until the situation is legally clarified, which can take months or years.

Hi,

That is a bit Bizzzare.

To get legal advice it is usual to have interaction with a legal professional (which I am not) and not on an open access interweb forum where you may possibly get persons giving various stories, obviously those who have an "axe to grind" (if that's the correct Brit expression) will be the loudest to post in response.

Good luck on your quest.

I'm going to be honest, I don't know any stories like that in Portugal.

In Spain I have heard of some cases in spanish newspapers.

This happens in the USA all the time. I've never had it happen in any of my properties, but there was a home a few doors away from one of my homes that some homeless people moved in during an unoccupied time where it was up for sale. The people just destroyed this home, it was just disgusting, and heart breaking for the homeowners.

Squatting is not legal in Portugal. It's a huge problem in Spain, however.