Timeout limit for the D7 visa

Hi everyone,

It has been 9 months since I applied for the D7 visa and submitted the documents. However, there is no response yet.

As far as you know, is there a timeout limit for the process? In other words, a situation like being excluded from evaluation at the end of the maximum period?

Good luck to everyone

Thanks for the valuable replies😊

@kocali where did you apply? I've been waiting for almost 6 months, but I've heard back from the consulate. Just waiting to hear back from SEF. By law, you're supposed to get an answer within 60 days. However, the Washington DC location has mentioned delays for the D7 visa.

Sorry, I did not mention that. I applied from Ankara/Turkey.

Yes, they told me the same "waiting to hear from SEF".

Also, they gave me the advice to ask directly to SEF by mail. But they are also giving almost no answer "Please ask your consulate " like a joke1f642.svg

@kocali Hi! My hubby and I applied in San Francisco USA in mid-November 2022. We're still waiting to receive an appointment. The consulate has been very generous in answering emails when I request an update. We have heard just yesterday that there will be a delay until the strikes are over on June 16. Have you emailed for an update?

@Erica K63 Hi,

If I'm not wrong. I think yours different situation than mine. My documents are already delivered. I'm just waiting for visa approval from the consulate.

Good luck to all of us1f60a.svg

@kocali I may be misunderstanding. I am waiting to send in my passport at which time I am supposed to receive my visa. So far it's been 6 months since I applied when I submitted all of the required documents.

These delays are unpleasant and should not happen. SEF will be extinguished and a new agency (AIMA) will be set up in October, and there have been staff strikes because of this. I don't know if that is the reason for these delays. I feel sorry that these internal problems cause so much damage to expats.

https://observador.pt/2023/05/25/servic … m-outubro/

@JohnnyPT thank you for the article!

I wouldn't have guessed that the SEF employees went on strike, who work on visas.  I thought it was customs inspectors at airports.  It does seem possible that turmoil in the agency could reduce throughput, but it has been getting worse for some time, hasn't it?  One reads documents left over from the old days that talk about 60 days, but when we went through, they were saying 90 days, and it ended up 120.  I am fairly sure a SEF reviewer could deal responsibly with an application in less than a half hour.

@Erica K63 which Consulate? 

@JohnnyPT  Thank you for the article.