Visa expiry date, can I exit Vietnam on date of expiry

My visa shows date of expiry 29 June 2023 and my passport stamp also says 29 June on it.  Probably a stupid question but can I exit Vietnam on 29 June without problem?  I have never left it to the very last day before.  Also if I have a mishap and don't leave until 30 June, can I simply pay a fine at the border (how much) or is it more serious than that?

Thanks for your advice.

My visa shows date of expiry 29 June 2023 and my passport stamp also says 29 June on it. Probably a stupid question but can I exit Vietnam on 29 June without problem? I have never left it to the very last day before. Also if I have a mishap and don't leave until 30 June, can I simply pay a fine at the border (how much) or is it more serious than that?
Thanks for your advice.
-@edandsuet

You are already a month late leaving.

This is July, not June.

You can legally remain in Vietnam until 11:59 PM on the day of expiration.

If you have not exited 1 minute later, you have overstayed.

Do not have a "mishap".

Recently, anyone arriving at the border with an overstay is redirected back to the nearest immigration office, which is usually at least 2 hours away.

There your fine will be set in order for you to obtain an exit visa.

If you are attempting to exit at an airport, I believe you can pay the fine there and you don't have to go back to an immigration office, but I may be wrong about that part.

Thank you for the information.

I am confusing myself with the dates!

My visa says entry date 29 June, expiry date 29 July.

My passport is stamped 29 June because that is the date I entered, and written next to the stamp is 29.7.2023

What seems strange is 29 June to 29 July inclusive is 31 different days, but I thought the visa was a 30 day visa, so I worry that exiting on 29 July might be a problem.

What seems strange is 29 June to 29 July inclusive is 31 different days, but I thought the visa was a 30 day visa, so I worry that exiting on 29 July might be a problem.
-@edandsuet

It would seem that they are still using the one month system that dates back to the good old days instead of the "30 days" that everyone discusses. In the past, you also got a 3-month visa instead of a "90-day" one, with the date the same, just add 3 to the entry month. Anyway, if that date is stamped in your passport, then that's date you need to leave. You can confirm with a travel agent if you really want to be sure.

Of course, things can happen. I left my passport at at hotel in Sai Gon once, got to the airport and was approaching the check-in counter when I reached into my pocket. I didn't blame the hotel because I checked out and then told them I was going to lunch and would get my bags upon returning, so both of us spaced it out by the time I got back. Ultimately, it's my passport, my responsibility.

Anywayz, they immediately brought it to me and I returned to the counter; staff said you're too late, but... let me check with my supervisor. Then, she said ok but hurry. So, there I was doing my O.J. Simpson run to the gate while hearing my name repeatedly being called on the announcements (Passenger Jay Rozzetti, please report to Gate 12 immediately!) and managed to board the plane as the absolute last passenger.

On another occasion, it was really the last day of my one-year Laos visa, which was somehow January 01. I booked a bus from Champasak village in southern Laos through to Kratie in Cambodia. Early in the morning, a van took me from the guesthouse down the road to a spot where I crossed the Mekong River on a long-tail boat, then I walked up the bank to where a crowd of people were waiting for the bus, which was only about half an hour late. Unfortunately, after a couple hours on the road, the bus broke down about 73 klicks from the border, and the crew was unable to repair the engine. Eventually, a replacement bus showed up about 4 hours later and we made it to 4000 Islands, which is a riverine archipelago in the Mekong that separates Laos from Cambodia an d screwed up French plans to use the river for shipping and transport to China back in the colonial days. I showed the driver my onward ticket and he said "Gone already. Come back tomorrow".

So, I grabbed a motorbike taxi and headed down toward the border with my two bags, duffel and laptop. When I got there the sun was going down, and I was the only tourist around. I managed to check out of Laos and into Cambodia. Then, I had to find transportation to the nearest town, Stung Treng, as there was next to nothing there at the border area.

Best-laid plans of mice and men and all that stuff...

@jayrozzetti23

I just checked the eVisa application site. It is still defaulting to 29 days. I input an entry date of Sep1st, and it defaulted to an exit date of Sep30th. However, and as discussed in previous threads (ad nauseam), the application permits me to advance the exit date to Oct1st, a true 30 days stay. If I try to advance it to Oct2nd, it refuses that exit date and states "E-visa maximum 30 days" (in red text).

My passport is stamped 29 June because that is the date I entered, and written next to the stamp is 29.7.2023
-@edandsuet

That is 30 days. Consider, June29th to June30th is 1 day. June29th to July 6th is 7days.

You're good to go. Nothing to worry about.

-@edandsuet

From actual experiance............I have twice left via Tan Son Nhat on the date the visa expires with no problems at all. On both occasions though I have made sure I left in the afternoon Vietjet flights to Thailand but made sure I covered my a*** giving myself time & options of flights out later that day if things went belly up with my booked flight.

-@edandsuet

When you applied for your eVisa, do you recall advancing the exit date by one day from its default? I'm assuming so, as otherwise with an entry date of June29th the default exit date would have been July28th. We had previously discussed it here. (Link)

Just asking out of curiosity, that's all.

The date stamped in the visa is the limit.

Legally you can cross the customs up to 23h59 without any problems, But in the practice that is not recommended in any country, because your flight can be delayed (or worst: suspended), or get delays because the person in front of you must to pay for excess baggage, or any delays when you are still before the counter.

In case of you exceed the visa, the cost is $25 per day...and you can pay at the airport if you are under 3 days. More than 3 days you must pay at Inmigration office outside and "maybe" get a black spot in your records.

In case of you exceed the visa, the cost is $25 per day...and you can pay at the airport if you are under 3 days. More than 3 days you must pay at Inmigration office outside and "maybe" get a black spot in your records.
-@ajairon

That figure of $25 runs contrary to what members have been reporting. Do you have a source stating $25/day as the penalty? It seems rather high. Perhaps that is applicable to citizens of countries (like Ecuador?) not on the list of countries approved for eVisa application?

Here is what has been reported, and witnessed, by other members of expat.com.

For over-stays of...

1 day - 16 days: VND VND 500,000 – VND 2,000,000 (~US $22 – US $88)

16 days – less than 30 days: VND 3,000,000 – VND 5,000,000 (~ US $133 – US $221)

30 days – less than 60 days: VND 5,000,000 – VND 10,000,000 (~ US $221 – US $441)

60 days – less than 90 days: VND 10,000,000 – VND 15,000,000 (~ US $441 – US $661)

90+ days: VND 15,000,000 – VND 20,000,000 (~ US $661 – US $885)

-@ajairon

That figure of $25 runs contrary to what members have been reporting. Do you have a source stating $25/day as the penalty? It seems rather high. Perhaps that is applicable to citizens of countries (like Ecuador?) not on the list of countries approved for eVisa application?
Here is what has been reported, and witnessed, by other members of expat.com.

For over-stays of...
1 day - 16 days: VND VND 500,000 – VND 2,000,000 (~US $22 – US $88)
16 days – less than 30 days: VND 3,000,000 – VND 5,000,000 (~ US $133 – US $221)
30 days – less than 60 days: VND 5,000,000 – VND 10,000,000 (~ US $221 – US $441)
60 days – less than 90 days: VND 10,000,000 – VND 15,000,000 (~ US $441 – US $661)
90+ days: VND 15,000,000 – VND 20,000,000 (~ US $661 – US $885)
-@Aidan in HCMC

As I recall, someone recently posted a photo of the fees on a sign at an airport...