Correct eVisa Name Format and Changing Exit Point

Indeed. I am on my 4th attempt to get my E Visa.

Last name means First name .. any which way I arrange them, they still will not accept

So many cultural lessons before I even board a plane. If ever

Testing times 1f600.svg

@Aidan in HCMC
Indeed. I am on my 4th attempt to get my E Visa.
Last name means First name .. any which way I arrange them, they still will not accept

So many cultural lessons before I even board a plane. If ever

Testing times 1f600.svg
-@John123470

Frustrating, I'm sure.

What dates are you inputting?

If you are traveling under your UK passport, a 15 day visa exemption can be used now. No visa (eVisa or otherwise) is required, and as of Aug 15th, you are entitled to a 45 day visa exempt stay. Once in country, you can then apply for your eVisa (currently limited to 30 days, after Aug 15th 90 days)  if so desired.

Irish passport

flying out on July 7th .. so eVisa will be 7th to 6th August. It seems to input dates automatically

Fortunately, Qatar Air will allow flight cancellation 3 hrs before departs .. 5th time lucky, hopefully

Ps. Reason they give for visa application refusal is name entry

...I am on my 4th attempt to get my E Visa.
Last name means First name .. any which way I arrange them, they still will not accept...
-@John123470

At the risk of rekindling a dormant debate, try inputting your name exactly as it appears on your passport (usually Last, First, Middle).

Although it's been documented more than once that some foreigner's "first name first" has been acceptable, my Hanoi agent friend says that's because immigration is approving applications while understanding the confusion.

She says that the reference to the passport name line is a reference to the "first" name in order on that line.

So she is always submitting applications with last name first, because the last name appears first on the ICAO name line in passports.

Although I understand the points of view of those who insist it must mean the actual first name the actual middle name and the actual last name, it makes a lot of sense to list it as last first and middle, matching the line on the passport.

ICAO stands for the International Civil Aviation Organisation.

Think about what you need in order to board an international flight:

1. Ticket/boarding pass

2. Passport

3. Visa (if required).

It makes sense (especially considering stories of name confusion at airports and international borders) that the ICAO would want airline personal to be able to quickly scan those three documents simultaneously and be able to immediately see if all match.

If the boarding pass and passport both list "last, first, middle" but the visa shows "first middle last", it's a recipe for confusion that can cause unnecessary delays in clearing passengers for boarding (or clearing travelers to cross international borders).

So here in Hội An, I've been advising people with visa application problems to do two things:

1. Take a fresh photo and definitely don't attempt to copy your passport photo for the visa application.

2. if they haven't done so already, I suggest that their next application follow their name exactly as it appears on the ICAO line: first in order, middle in order and last in order.

After helping almost a dozen expats (totally gratis; I'm not an agent) every single one has had their next application approved when they have followed my suggestions.

Good luck!

Thanks Ocean,

I wrote to Hanoi embassy and they kindly suggested entering my family name (O'G) as OG instead of a space between

This hopefully will work.

I have now entered Last name (first) w/out the space

Thanks again

Thanks Ocean,
I wrote to Hanoi embassy and they kindly suggested entering my family name (O'G) as OG instead of a space between

This hopefully will work.
I have now entered Last name (first) w/out the space

Thanks again
-@John123470

No space, no apostrophe.

See this post (Link) from a member who'd encountered the same issue. He was quite pressed for time, so opted for using an agent.

Thank you, Aidan

'Emily Visa' seem to have sorted Rory O R in a few hours

I fly coming Friday - I will just give the Immigration till tomorrow (ie Wednesday) .. then if nothing, I will ask Emily Visa

I have sent my 5th Applic -  this time with no space, apostrophe etc between O and G in my family name ie John OG

Here's hoping.

Both visas may arrive simultanously if I have to use Emily 😀

Ps. Incidentally, do I need to bring passport pics with me ?

Thanks again

Hopefully that works

Thank you, Aidan
'Emily Visa' seem to have sorted Rory O R in a few hours
I fly coming Friday - I will just give the Immigration till tomorrow (ie Wednesday) .. then if nothing, I will ask Emily Visa

I have absolutely no experience with "Emily Visa", nor should my link to member Rory Oriordan's post be construed as a referral. I'd never heard of the agency prior to the member mentioning them.

I have sent my 5th Applic - this time with no space, apostrophe etc between O and G in my family name ie John OG
Here's hoping.
Both visas may arrive simultanously if I have to use Emily 😀

I think that the application will be accepted for consideration now that the format for the surname has been sorted.

But why use an agency when you can simply enter without an eVisa? I wrote earlier...

"If you are traveling under your UK passport, a 15 day visa exemption can be used now. No visa (eVisa or otherwise) is required, and as of Aug 15th, you are entitled to a 45 day visa exempt stay. Once in country, you can then apply for your eVisa (currently limited to 30 days, after Aug 15th 90 days) if so desired."(Link to prior post).

Ps. Incidentally, do I need to bring passport pics with me ?
Thanks again
Hopefully that works
-@John123470

No sir. No pics needed.

Thanks again, Aidan

I am Irish, not UK, so my hunt continues

Thanks again, Aidan
I am Irish, not UK, so my hunt continues
-@John123470

And yet your profile indicates otherwise...

screenshot_20230705_123441_chrome.jpg

Maybe just an error when establishing your account?

🤔 Oops, thanks

Must rectify that

🤔 Oops, thanks
Must rectify that
-@John123470

Hey John123470,

All information is correct now. 1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

It's a visa before flight 24 hour countdown. I don't have any nails left to bite

I contacted Emily Visa, HCM, recommended by a chap passing thru this site. Not sure if legit or no.

Problem with Vietnamese bank accounts is they don't use IBAN numbers - so I am not sure how my original payment to Immigration went through but it did.

My attempted payment to Ms Emily Visa failed

My last effort at name re-ordering (ICAO) was last Monday 3rd. So I will give it remainder of today before booking another air bnb / hotel to wait it out.

Failing that, perhaps Vietnam doesn't want me 1f603.svg

The airline I fly with can cancel with a few hours notice.

I hope Vietnam is as exciting as this !

The Irishman gets a Visa

Thanks everyone for helpful suggestions 😊

Do the good folk on here know if it is possible to exit Vietnam from a different airport to the visa application ?

Eg. My port of entry / exit is Hanoi but I will travel to Da Nang and it would be more convenient to exit from there ?

Many thanks

Do the good folk on here know if it is possible to exit Vietnam from a different airport to the visa application ?
Eg. My port of entry / exit is Hanoi but I will travel to Da Nang and it would be more convenient to exit from there ?

Many thanks
-@John123470

Hi there, and welcome to VN :)

There had been many early  reports of people exiting through a different point than that which had been stated on their eVisa application, with no issues.

That said, of late further reports have been made of border officials checking the details of the eVisa via the QR code, ostensibly to confirm the exit date stamped in your passport matches that found on the eVisa. These reports of border officials checking the existing eVisa are coming from expats who have been making land border crossings, none so far from people exiting from int'l airports. The land border crossings are manned by the VN military, while the airports are manned by immigration personnel, which might explain the difference in the exit procedure. Apparently the military and immigration do not share the same computer access/system.

I would caution you against assuming that exiting through a different crossing point will be hassle-free. My advice is for you to visit the immigration offices in Hanoi for direction.

Please let us know what steps you take, as this is a subject of interest to many members.

Many thanks, Aidan

I will check

Thanks Aidan

I will check and let you know

Thanks Aidan

I will check

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks Aidan

I checked online and found conflicting information.

The evisa itself only mentions Port of entry (not Exit) though the application does ask for Exit port.

A bit of a hassle having to fly back to Hanoi just to leave the country

@Aidan in HCMC
Thanks Aidan

I checked online and found conflicting information.

The evisa itself only mentions Port of entry (not Exit) though the application does ask for Exit port.

A bit of a hassle having to fly back to Hanoi just to leave the country

-@John123470

Hi John.

If you are now in Danang, visit the immigration offices at

78 Lê Lợi, quận Hải Châu, thành phố Đà Nẵng

If still in Hanoi, at

44 P.Phạm Ngọc Thạch, Phương Liên, Đống Đa, Hà Nội

(both of these offices are legitimate gov't of VN immigration facilities. Beware agents who proclaim to be "official immigration centres" or some-such. All gov't of VN websites have the suffix   .gov.vn)

I don't anticipate you having any trouble changing your exit point through one of these offices. In fact, as you will be exiting through an int'l airport, you might not need to change it at all. Operative word here being "might". Better safe than sorry/stressed/freaked-out at a border checkpoint (and maybe getting milked for some "coffee money", too!). Shouldn't take you very long at the immigration office to set things in motion.

Thanks Aidan

Wise words, thanks Aidan

I already bought a 1 way to Da Nang but I will double check it.

Might be Irish coffee money they seek also 🫢

Thanks Aidan
Wise words, thanks Aidan

I already bought a 1 way to Da Nang but I will double check it.

Might be Irish coffee money they seek also 🫢
-@John123470

:)  Yes, without doubt "Irish coffee" money would cost you deeper in the purse!

It might take immigration a few days (maybe up to 10 days)  to process your change of exit point, so best to get this rolling upon arrival in Danang.

@OceanBeach92107

the vietnam form shows to put whatever is at the bottom of the page of your passport under Surname and then it ask for given name  mine has last first middle  and then when i put in given name it comes out with 2 first names 

@OceanBeach92107
the vietnam form shows to put whatever is at the bottom of the page of your passport under Surname and then it ask for given name  mine has last first middle  and then when i put in given name it comes out with 2 first names 

-@Wheelch

Interesting.

If I were you, I'd use an agent

Hello Wheelch,and welcome to expat.com

the vietnam form shows to put whatever is at the bottom of the page of your passport under Surname and then it ask for given name  mine has last first middle  and then when i put in given name it comes out with 2 first names          -@Wheelch

I think you may be conflating the immigration portal's example page (Link), with that of the actual application page. (Link)

The example page, featuring Mr. Martin Specimen, is quite dated and should not be used as a template for completion of your application. The relevant line on that example page is the, "Confirmation of reading carefully instructions and having completed application", where you must check to confirmation box in order to advance to the application page.

On the application page, it asks for "Surname*" (i.e. family name), and "Given name*".  As plurals do not exist in the Vietnamese language, this "Given name" panel should be interpreted as meaning that one should input both their first and middle name there (that is, of course, assuming a middle name is included on the passport info page).

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions should the need arise, or visit the forum's main Vietnam page (Link) to open a new topic of your own. Hope to hear from you again soon.